New Diver to Puget Sound

New to the NW Dive Club Forum? Come in and introduce yourself, the water's fine!
alissaluk
Getting To Know Folks

New Diver to Puget Sound

Post by alissaluk »

Hi! I just moved back to the Seattle area and I want to experience diving in Puget Sound. I just got my drysuit certification so now i'm not afraid of the cold! I'm not sure where to dive so I would love to tag along with anyone who needs a dive buddy or if there are group dives just so I can learn more about diving in the local area.
Penopolypants
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Re: New Diver to Puget Sound

Post by Penopolypants »

Welcome to the board, and to warmer diving!

We have weekly dives in the north and south sound, keep your eye on the dive planning section to see what's up each week. You are welcome to join them.

Happy diving!
Come to the nerd side, we have pi!
theonly_JT
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by theonly_JT »

Welcome welcome welcome!! We're happy to have you with us! Thursday nights at Redondo are a sure bet for dive buddies. Feel free to shoot me a message anytime! I'm always lookin for dive buddies. Where are you located??

Cheers!
-JT
"Whoa! Big ol' blue's one serious place, dude." - Crush the sea turtle
alissaluk
Getting To Know Folks

Post by alissaluk »

I'm at mercer island! the dives seem to be early in the morning so I was wondering if you have any suggestions on how to deal with equipment I'd need to rent? I have my own bcd, reg, mask, and fins, but I'd need to rent a drysuit, weights, and tank. Should i start looking into purchasing these items?
Penopolypants
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Penopolypants »

Our weekly dives are in the evening, usually meeting up at about 6:30 pm, so maybe they'll be doable?

But yes, I would purchase a drysuit at the very least when you can. Expensive, but they're so worth it! Rental fees add up quickly. Check out the classifieds section here or Craigslist for used stuff. I would have no problem buying a suit (with careful inspection), tanks, or weights used. Or all of the shops around here sell new suits and equipment.
Gdog
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Gdog »

Also, on often times you can also pickup used equipment on this forum. And don't be afraid to post on what you are looking for as well.
alissaluk
Getting To Know Folks

Post by alissaluk »

ah, for some reason when i read 6:30 I thought it was in the morning haha.. i just thought everyone was super hardcore on this board. I unfortunately can't do evenings because I have work but i'll join any dives that happen on friday or saturday
Penopolypants
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Penopolypants »

We're EXTREME! :)

Work makes it difficult for me to dive during the week too, so if you want to dive on the weekends, hit me up!

We're also planning a club dive/bbq on a weekend sometime soon, stay tuned!
theonly_JT
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by theonly_JT »

Some people are hardcore and hit it before work... I am not yet one of those. I try and get out on saturdays and sundays. I'll post and see if your interested.
"Whoa! Big ol' blue's one serious place, dude." - Crush the sea turtle