Hello Club!

New to the NW Dive Club Forum? Come in and introduce yourself, the water's fine!
taddygrrr
Hi, I'm New To NWDC!

Hello Club!

Post by taddygrrr »

Hi all,
So many messages; trying to figure out the etiquette but wanted to start with an introduction. Bear with me.

I did my open water and advanced in the late nineties. My last dive was over ten years ago. All my dives have been warm water up til now. Going to Hawaii in October. Planning refresher course with Edmonds Underwater Sports next week. If all goes well, will do a cold water dive class there too in July. If that goes well, I'll be looking for some people to dive with.

Any recommendations for dive shops around Shoreline or Seattle (or thumbs up on Underwater Sports) would be greatly appreciated.

My seven year old daughter is interested in snorkeling when we're in Hawaii. I figure she's too young for scuba, but wonder if there's anything I can do to get her ready for the trip. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Excited and a bit nervous (the good kind) about getting back into it.
Thanks,
Tad
Penopolypants
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Re: Hello Club!

Post by Penopolypants »

Welcome to the board, and welcome back to the addiction! Cold water is a bit different than warm, but it has its own unique appeal and beauty.

The best thing for your daughter would be to get a mask and gear that fits well. It's challenging to do with a small face and feet, and at some point she will outgrow it. But if her gear is leaky and uncomfortable, it's going to be unpleasant. If you can get gear that fits, and into a pool (or the lake, or the Sound) to practice in with her, it will make a big difference.

The Seattle Underwater Sports has a pool, so going there for gear and practice would work if they'll let you hop in.

And when you're ready for diving here, we have weekly dives and occasional barbecues/club dives that you're absolutely welcome to join.

Happy diving!
Come to the nerd side, we have pi!
Gdog
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Re: Hello Club!

Post by Gdog »

Hey, welcome! Glad you are here!