Seeking Advice On BCD and Weights

New to the NW Dive Club Forum? Come in and introduce yourself, the water's fine!
Charles1910
Just Settling In

Seeking Advice On BCD and Weights

Post by Charles1910 »

]I am a beginning snorkel diver seeking advice
on lead weights and a weight belt. The environmentally
sealed Pocket Weights would definitely provide good
lead protection generally, but the ones I'm finding
are 7 1/4" long and present difficulties in finding a
weight belt that size since they are designed for
scuba integrated weight BCD vests. There are some
weight vests for snorkel/free divers, but so far I
found only one online and I don't know the pocket size.
There are vinyl coated weights that are more practical (Seavenger);
is vinyl coated lead good enough for salt and fresh
water? Would 3 or 4 5 lb weights evenly spaced
provide the best balance - I'm 200 lbs ? Since I was
a chemist several years back, I don't like exposure to
lead and am concerned with oxidation of lead in fresh
water where it could contaminate drinking water.

What is the best way to get advice on this?
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Re: Seeking Advice On BCD and Weights

Post by H20doctor »

You can always use soft weights they're easier to use and easier to stuff into weight pouches
NWDC Rule #2 Pictures Or it didn't Happen
60south
Pelagic

Re: Seeking Advice On BCD and Weights

Post by 60south »

Hi Charles1910,
Charles1910 wrote:There are vinyl coated weights that are more practical (Seavenger); is vinyl coated lead good enough for salt and fresh water?
Yes, they are good enough. In fact, these are what I'd recommend for snorkeling, with a basic belt of 2" webbing, a buckle, and maybe a few retainers ("keepers") to keep the weights from sliding around.

Soft weights, shot or "bean bags", are convenient for divers because they fit nicely into BCD pockets, but they oxidize like crazy. Uncoated solid lead weights show very little oxidation but you'll still get trace lead all over your hands. The coated solid weights, if well cared-for, are the safest bet.
Would 3 or 4 5 lb weights evenly spaced provide the best balance - I'm 200 lbs ?
This is difficult to answer because it depends on what protection you're using (wetsuit, drysuit, thickness, etc), physical build, skill level, and how buoyant you want to be. I suspect 20 lbs would get you started in a 7mm wet suit. Perhaps a bit more if the neoprene is new, less if you're a solid mass of muscle.
:)

Suggestion: Instead of a few large weights, buy a mix of smaller ones. For instance, 4x4lbs and 2x2lbs. This will let you add/subtract/move weight easier for better buoyancy control, and it might be more comfortable.

As always, do a buoyancy check in shallow water first to make sure you aren't over-weighted.