Hello all!

New to the NW Dive Club Forum? Come in and introduce yourself, the water's fine!
Spanky
Getting To Know Folks

Hello all!

Post by Spanky »

I learned to dive in 2014 because my then 13 yo got junior PADI certified that summer when he was staying at my mom's in south Florida. Since then he and I dove a few times a year -- usually 3-5 dives at X-mas, maybe a couple during my son's spring break down in Florida.

For my son's high school graduation present, I took him on a live aboard in the Red Sea where I almost doubled my total dive total -- we both did all 21 dives offered over the week. Then last weekend we dove in the PNW for the first time, hoping to see a GPO before he heads off to college in the Midwest. We did two dives Saturday afternoon and two more Sunday morning (2 each at Octopus Hole and Sund Rock, Hood Canal) and struck out. Though we did see lots of wolf eels and the giant plumose anemones were amazing.

I'm an avid photographer above the water and I'm bringing that passion below the water too. Prior to our Red Sea adventure I upped my game with stobes and have since added a couple of wet lenses. I've got a lot to learn but the strobes are a game changer.

I still have a 14 yo non-diver at home and the usual host of adult responsibilities so I'm not going to be diving all the time. But now that I have a taste of the local offerings, I'm intrigued and want to get out again.

ScubaJess
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Re: Hello all!

Post by ScubaJess »

Beautiful picture!!! I hope you can get more diving in soon. Seeing a GPO in the open is one of the coolest things I've seen.
Live Long And Prosper!!!

Stay Warm underwater with the Weezle Extreme Plus undergarment! Please let me know if you would like to order one or have any questions. :luv: :partydance: :eric: :taco:
Penopolypants
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Penopolypants »

Welcome to the board, and I look forward to seeing your photographs!
Come to the nerd side, we have pi!
Spanky
Getting To Know Folks

Post by Spanky »

Thanks! Forgot to add that I live in Portland. Looks like my son and I are going to squeeze in a day at Redondo Saturday before he leaves for college on Tuesday. I heard folks saw several GPOs there last Saturday and there have been other frequent sightings there this summer.
ScubaJess wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 1:57 pm Beautiful picture!!! I hope you can get more diving in soon. Seeing a GPO in the open is one of the coolest things I've seen.
SCUBARM79
Avid Diver

Post by SCUBARM79 »

Nice pics and welcome to the board!
BigMac
Just Settling In

Post by BigMac »

Hi there and welcome.

I dive at Redondo all the time (along with many other areas). When you're ready look me up and I'll buddy up with you. BTW-labor Day I'll be leading a dive there if you can make it up.