New to the board - hello!

New to the NW Dive Club Forum? Come in and introduce yourself, the water's fine!
sabrisi
Frequent Bubbler

New to the board - hello!

Post by sabrisi »

Hi All -

Have been diving for about 2 years now and now at the point where I want to expand my diving adventure options!
My primary buddy dislikes diving at home so mostly looking for regular diving buddies and regional dive site info so I can venture beyond Cove 2, Redondo and Mukilteo.

My primary dive partner prefers warm, clear blue waters but I just want to go diving, nevermind viz or cold! :)
I sprained my ankle on new year's eve (thanks for the parting shot 2020!) and am still rehabbing it but hope to get out to a ThThTh dive sometime soon!

- e
we got no troubles life is the bubbles
YellowEye
I've Got Gills

Re: New to the board - hello!

Post by YellowEye »

Welcome! Hope you heal up soon!
Visit pnwdiving.com for viz reports, slack planning, galleries and more!
orcasc205
Aquaphile

Post by orcasc205 »

Welcome to the group! There is a lot to see beyond Redondo, Cove 2 and Mukilteo (not that those sites are bad) -- hope to see you out there.

-Doug
sabrisi
Frequent Bubbler

Post by sabrisi »

Thank you YellowEye and orcasc205! The entry at Mukilteo and a dive length of about 40 minutes is manageable for me right now - did Keystone Jetty two weeks ago but the gravel and slope down to the water was a bit much. Steps down to Redondo probably not a great idea for awhile yet for ThThTh but I'll get there eventually :)
YellowEye
I've Got Gills

Post by YellowEye »

Hi. Try the south side of Redondo. This is usually a much easier entry and a better dive imo! This is by the boat ramp and gives you access to a bottle field (macro heaven) and lumpy land.
sabrisi
Frequent Bubbler

Post by sabrisi »

Thanks! Dove this morning and buddies wanted to do the north end, happy to report the steps weren't that bad!
Viz was... not great and other than a few white lined dironas and a red flabellina it was a pretty uneventful dive. No lumpies for us!

Where would the bottle field be (approx ish) on this diagram from the boat ramp?

YellowEye
I've Got Gills

Post by YellowEye »

Hi. Great to hear it was okay.

The south side bottle field is entirely off the left of this map.

Walk down from the beach south of the boat ramp (either use the stairs or the step to get onto the sand). The field is at 70-80' straight out from the beach there and maybe 20 yards south. If you come to a lot of bark at depth, keep going a bit more south.

There's a feature called bob's reef (3 rock piles) right above the bottle field at about 50'. And an engine block below that before things flatten out for the best part of the field.

Take a compass heading before heading out there and save a couple hundred extra pounds to travel back on.
sabrisi
Frequent Bubbler

Post by sabrisi »

OK great, thank you!!
sabrisi
Frequent Bubbler

Post by sabrisi »

Dove the south side a few weeks ago and REALLY liked it - buddy and I enjoyed a nice muck dive lookin at tiny things :)
Ankle is better.... but goobered up my shoulder last week bad enough to need an ortho consult tomorrow.
SOMEDAY I'll make it to a ThThTh!