Hello from Bend, Oregon

New to the NW Dive Club Forum? Come in and introduce yourself, the water's fine!
mawdsleymi
Hi, I'm New To NWDC!

Hello from Bend, Oregon

Post by mawdsleymi »

I've reference the site for years - not sure why it took me so long to register but here I am. Been diving since 2009 - Certified in Cultus Lake in a February snow storm. Enjoy warm and cold water diving equally. Been missing the tropical dive trips with this pandemic but happy to be getting back in the water next week.

Glad to be joining this community.

Heading to Guemes Island near Anacortes in a few days and researching some sites I can hit in the islands as we'll have a boat this time around.

Hope everyone is staying safe.

Mike
orcasc205
Aquaphile

Re: Hello from Bend, Oregon

Post by orcasc205 »

Welcome to the group! I hope you're able to find some awesome boat dive sites up near Guemes/Anacortes.
mawdsleymi
Hi, I'm New To NWDC!

Post by mawdsleymi »

Thanks very much!
YellowEye
I've Got Gills

Post by YellowEye »

Hi Mike
Glad you joined in! I haven't dove off Guemes. Fairly near by you have James Island (north end) and Strawberry Island (inside or out).

There are a lot of great dives in the San Juans but many have a lot of current and are very unforgiving without the right planning or experience. A live boat is a must. Have you dove out there before?

Emeralddiving.com has good writeups of many of the sites but note most are quite advanced. How long have you been out of the water?

We were just out in the sji's the last couple weekends and had the best viz I've ever seen out there!

Let us know if you have questions on recommendations or suitability.

-Eric
Visit pnwdiving.com for viz reports, slack planning, galleries and more!
mawdsleymi
Hi, I'm New To NWDC!

Post by mawdsleymi »

Thanks Eric. Have been diving in the San Juans a few other times. Been out of the water for about a year so planning some easy warm ups. Will have a live boat for us and obviously will be using a dive float. Really looking forward to it. Thanks for the website reference - I also found some great info there too. Hopefully I will have something to contribute after our trip!