Back to diving after a long hiatus

New to the NW Dive Club Forum? Come in and introduce yourself, the water's fine!
Redleg0811
Avid Diver

Back to diving after a long hiatus

Post by Redleg0811 »

Hi All,

I started diving in '96 in Okinawa. I'm certified through NAUI, did my basic open water and just kept doing classes from there. The last dive I did was in 2000. I sold my scuba gear except for my mask, fins and booties to buy a TIG welder.

We're planning for a trip to Belize and the wife said she wanted to get certified to dive which made me really excited. So last Saturday we signed her up for her open water and a refresher class for me. Both of us did the upgrade for dry suits and I'm looking forward to it. I got thicker gloves and booties. My wife got mask, fins, booties, gloves. We won't have class until December. I think we'll probably wait on purchasing more gear until then, but we would like to do dives before we go to Belize. Since I don't know the underwater area around here and never dove it I'm looking to hook up with knowledgeable people for dives after we get refreshed and certified.

Thanks
Martin
By Monroe, WA
Last edited by Redleg0811 on Wed Oct 05, 2022 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
YellowEye
I've Got Gills

Re: Back to diving after a long hiatus

Post by YellowEye »

Welcome back!
We have a lot of great dives around here!
Enjoy Belize!
Visit pnwdiving.com for viz reports, slack planning, galleries and more!
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

Hey Martin, we dive weekly in the Everett area on Wednesday nights. We also intend to start having some weekend A.M. dives soon so I will post here when we do. We are the Bubbbles and Suds group, you can google us, we are on the book of faces and I have been trying to post dives in here as well.
**Pinch it, don't stick your finger through. You're just pinching a bigger hole.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
Redleg0811
Avid Diver

Post by Redleg0811 »

I will look you guys up and keep in contact with you. It won't be in till December that we take our classes.

Thanks
Martin
mz53480
I've Got Gills

Post by mz53480 »

Welcome,

Previous 08 gunrock here too.
29palms
:)

Give a shout if you are down towards the south sound- Redondo, Hoodsport, etc, happy to do a dive with you sometime.

:fish:
...I like going to the chamber.. They have great food there, and awsome live music "H20doctor"
Check out the VIDEOS!
ScubaJess
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by ScubaJess »

Welcome back to the addiction! I hope we can see you around a dive site next year! Have a fun trip! 🤿🖖🐙🐟
Live Long And Prosper!!!

Stay Warm underwater with the Weezle Extreme Plus undergarment! Please let me know if you would like to order one or have any questions. :luv: :partydance: :eric: :taco:
Redleg0811
Avid Diver

Post by Redleg0811 »

mz53480 wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 4:35 am Welcome,

29palms

Give a shout if you are down towards the south sound- Redondo, Hoodsport, etc, happy to do a dive with you sometime.

Sounds like we were in the same battalion since 3/11 is the only arty Batt there. I was with 3/11 K battery from 93-95. How about you? I lat moved into 4066 went to Quantico then first unit was 12th Marines Hq in Okinawa. after that plank owner at Miramar.

Did you go to the reunion this year?

Martin
mz53480
I've Got Gills

Post by mz53480 »

Redleg0811 wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 9:03 am
mz53480 wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 4:35 am Welcome,

29palms

Sounds like we were in the same battalion since 3/11 is the only arty Batt there. I was with 3/11 K battery from 93-95. How about you? I lat moved into 4066 went to Quantico then first unit was 12th Marines Hq in Okinawa. after that plank owner at Miramar.

Did you go to the reunion this year?

Martin

Oh, nice.
No, it was just one of a few places, and wasn’t there long, the heat was no fun. No, have not been since late 90’s/early 2000’s.
...I like going to the chamber.. They have great food there, and awsome live music "H20doctor"
Check out the VIDEOS!
Redleg0811
Avid Diver

Post by Redleg0811 »

11th Marines?

Down the road I will have to tell you a funny story of a conversation between the section chief and me (ATC).
mz53480
I've Got Gills

Post by mz53480 »

Redleg0811 wrote: Thu Oct 13, 2022 9:34 am 11th Marines?

Down the road I will have to tell you a funny story of a conversation between the section chief and me (ATC).
Yeah, you’ll hate me once we go dive sometime and I mention 14th too…
Loved my weekends for a while….
😬
Check out the VIDEOS!
Redleg0811
Avid Diver

Post by Redleg0811 »

If you like history, being a 4th Marines, you should check out the book Devil Dogs "Fighting Marines of World War 1". It puts a whole new light on some of the history we were taught in boot camp. It also makes you realize how hard these guys had it.
mz53480
I've Got Gills

Post by mz53480 »

Redleg0811 wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 9:02 am If you like history, being a 4th Marines, you should check out the book Devil Dogs "Fighting Marines of World War 1". It puts a whole new light on some of the history we were taught in boot camp. It also makes you realize how hard these guys had it.
Much respect.
Many years ago, I had the honor of working a summer job for a Marine that survived Peleliu. Such a perspective and very humbling.
Check out the VIDEOS!
Redleg0811
Avid Diver

Post by Redleg0811 »

Yeah My friend's dad was a Marine during WW2 on some of the beach landings. He also fought in Korea and lost his left arm.
Redleg0811
Avid Diver

Post by Redleg0811 »

The bad, in my refresher class I threw out my back when I stood up after tightening the tank strap. I was able to dive in the pool without pain, but as soo as I got out it hurt. I had to reschedule the dry suit class that had been the next day until 5th and open water 7,8. Two weeks later I am still hurting and burning in the leg. Doc put me on prednisone last week. Little bit is getting better, but still is giving me trouble.

The good. I have met some really cool people in the dive community that have just been awesome!
mz53480
I've Got Gills

Post by mz53480 »

Dang!!!!!!!

Sorry to hear. Get better and get fun diving soon!
Check out the VIDEOS!
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

Redleg0811 wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 9:56 am The bad, in my refresher class I threw out my back when I stood up after tightening the tank strap. I was able to dive in the pool without pain, but as soo as I got out it hurt. I had to reschedule the dry suit class that had been the next day until 5th and open water 7,8. Two weeks later I am still hurting and burning in the leg. Doc put me on prednisone last week. Little bit is getting better, but still is giving me trouble.

The good. I have met some really cool people in the dive community that have just been awesome!
Oof, that sucks. Is this the first time you've had that happen, or is it new? I've got a bulged disc in my lower back, I've found the best combination for me when I aggravate it is heat, stretching, high dose turmeric for the inflammation, and then using a TENS device. If I do all that I can usually get recovered in a few days. Good luck!
"Screw "annual" service,... I get them serviced when they break." - CaptnJack (paraphrased)

"you do realize you're supposed to mix the :koolaid: with water and drink it, not snort the powder directly from the packet, right? :smt064 " - Spatman
Redleg0811
Avid Diver

Post by Redleg0811 »

No had issues from being bucked off horse, artillery, etc. I had a laminectomy about two years ago. Hoping I have not made it worse. I don't want a back fusion.

I was given a tens, but I have not figured out what I want to do "shave my back?".
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

Redleg0811 wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 12:19 pm No had issues from being bucked off horse, artillery, etc. I had a laminectomy about two years ago. Hoping I have not made it worse. I don't want a back fusion.

I was given a tens, but I have not figured out what I want to do "shave my back?".
It's not like duct tape, it won't rip the hairs out (too bad) :rofl:
"Screw "annual" service,... I get them serviced when they break." - CaptnJack (paraphrased)

"you do realize you're supposed to mix the :koolaid: with water and drink it, not snort the powder directly from the packet, right? :smt064 " - Spatman