Florida Transplant

New to the NW Dive Club Forum? Come in and introduce yourself, the water's fine!
imperialis
Hi, I'm New To NWDC!

Florida Transplant

Post by imperialis »

Hi, everyone. I'm from Miami originally and have primarily done diving in warmer tropical waters. I have an adv open water and nitrox certifications. I'm interested in becoming a divemaster, eventually.

Given the cold water, I kind of swore that I would never dive in Puget Sound. But a friend of mine completed an advanced open water/nitrox class last weekend, and I opted to tag along. I have to say that the experience definitely changed my mind about diving in the Sound. True, the visibility wasn't all that great and it was cold -- but the variety of sea creatures and the proximity of dive locations makes it pretty appealing. Now, I'm seriously thinking about getting a drysuit and going diving with a local dive club in the Seattle area.

I will still travel to Florida a few times a year to dive in the Keys. But that simply isn't enough anymore. I would be interested in learning about dive opportunities here in the Pacific northwest.

Also, what drysuits would you recommend? I'm well aware that these suits need to be carefully fitted. But I'd like to know your experiences with the suits, what I should choose/avoid, etc.

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

-Tom
BDub
I've Got Gills

Post by BDub »

Welcome Tom!

Glad you decided to try the diving here. While I do like taking dive vacations to warmer water destinations, I think the diving here in Puget Sound is amazing and I'm always ready to come home and get back in the water here.

As far as drysuits go...I'm on my 3rd drysuit now, which is a Diving Concepts and I am very very happy with it. I've had a shell drysuit as well as a crushed neoprene and they both have pros and cons. I prefer the shell suit personally, as I think it's a little more durable, easier to do small repairs in the field, and is easier to fit than a neoprene suit, but that's just my own experience, and the reason I went with my newest suit (shell). YMMV.

Hope to dive with you sometime!

Brian
http://www.frogkickdiving.com/

"It's a lot easier when you're not doing it" - CaseyB449

"There needs to be more strawberry condoms. Just not on my regulator" - DSteding
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

Hi, Imperialis! Welcome to our little dive club. Cool folks here, and at least one other Florida transplant. (Dave).

As for drysuits, I don't own one, yet, but I have one from USIA on order. Some people I trust assured me that it was a great bang for the buck, but I have no experience in any drysuit so far. Diving wet ain't bad, I just hate peeling the old 7mm off afterwards!
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
imperialis
Hi, I'm New To NWDC!

:)

Post by imperialis »

Thanks for the replies.

Vita, which model did you order from USIA? I've been looking at those suits because a lot of instructors use them, and it's difficult to tell which one is best.

-Tom
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

Hey Tom!

I did my certification dives in a wetsuit... yeah, it was quite cold. My dry suit is on order... mmmmm, like diving in my warm cuddly sleeping bag! \:D/

I'm a newer diver but I obsessively research my gear before buying :book: ... after a recommendation from several VERY experienced PNW divers :prayer: , I considered the Gravity Zero Ranger TXT drysuit. It's quite comperable to medium and upper-end DUI suits for an entry-level price. They have non-metalic/magnetic zippers on a front entry with suspenders and a telescoping waist. In addition it's got LOTS of extra protection in "rub-areas" and cargo pockets.

There is a new online dive shop at http://www.samishdivers.com that I have been very pleased with. Kelly provides excellent service and is very helpful (no, I'm not associated with the company and stand to gain nothing from recommending them). They're based in Bellingham but make regular trips to the greater Pugetropolis. I know a few people diving the suit already and they're REALLY happy with it. I also know a few more people (who are all highly proficient divers and well respected) who are ordering them (I'm getting my almost-wife one too).

It's worth checking out - I think you'll be impressed! :partyman:
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

Sorry- my name's Josh, actually! "Vita Brevis" is Latin for "life is short". I ordered the aqua pro plus. The stock XL size fits me fine, but they didn't have my foot size in stock. I've been waiting 3 weeks now and I'm starting to get twitchy!

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Welcome Tom! It's about time we had some more Tom's around here!

Puget Sound diving is absolutely wonderful... though I am itching for a warm water tropical dive or three! Once you get past the cold (easily doable with a dry suit) and the viz, the life and variety here is a blast. Plus, you might as well dive WHEREEVER you live, right?!? As you hang around the folks on this board you will get plenty of the best reasons for Pacific Northwest diving.

I dive a custom sized (for my mutant body) USIA Aqua Pro Plus. I choose it because of several instructors who were diving it, and because it is tough... not easily pucturable, and I am HARD on above water clothes, so I'm sure I'll be on my dry suit! It took about 6 weeks to get here... the one thing I've been unhappy with.

I've also seen lots of folks very happy with the neoprene Apollo (and other) dry suits as well. It is probably the least expensive one you'll find around here (800 dollar range?!?) and the people who use them like them.

There are a ton of dive shops between Olympia and Everett. Take some time checking them out. I did not do this, but I know that there are a couple of shops that rent dry suits, or that will let you try them first. That could help you make up your mind. There are a huge number of choices.

Welcome to the Northwest, and good luck on your diving! Hope to see you in the water some day.

Tom Nic
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

Hi Tom, I'm a tropical diver-turned cold water diver too. Basically, there are two main differences in dry suits, stemming from the material

1) Neoprene (regular, compressed, crushed)
pros: more streamlined (less air shifting around, less drag), inherent thermal insulation, more rugged in most cases.
cons: usually a little hard to don, inherent buoyancy, dries more slowly

2) Shell (bilaminate, trilaminate)
pros: dries quickly, light, easy on and off, easy to repair, you can usually wear more thermals, packs small, no inherent buoyancy.
cons: more drag, non-uniform distribution of air, less durable, not as form fitting.

It has more to do with personal preference than anything else. For instance, if you're doing some traveling with your suit a shell suit would probably be better. If you don't care about the drying time and you care most about how it feels in the water, a neoprene suit would probably fit the bill.

I am on my second neoprene suit, a Signature Series DUI CF 200x, it retails for around $3500 - $4K, so it's definitely at the top end of things. You can get a great suit for under or around 1K. I recommend starting at the Apollo, USIA or Bare suits if you're going to go that route. I started on an O'Neill 7000x and it was a great suit for around $700 at the diver's fair (coming up soon).

Let me know if you have any more questions (probably good for the gear section), and welcome to the NWDC!!! :salute:
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

I was told that the Laminate was more durable than the neoprene...it feels more durable....did I get that wrong?

Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

The Trilam on my Aqua Pro Plus would take quite a bit to puncture!

With the thinner shell suits that of course is NOT the case.
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Re: :)

Post by Grateful Diver »

Thanks for the replies.

Vita, which model did you order from USIA? I've been looking at those suits because a lot of instructors use them, and it's difficult to tell which one is best.

-Tom
That's the wrong reason to purchase a drysuit ... a lot of instructors use them because the largest chain of scuba shops in Puget Sound carries them. It says nothing about quality, fit, or function. Instructors basically wear what their shop carries, because students tend to purchase what they see their instructor using.

Get a drysuit that fits you properly, and accommodates the style of diving you wish to do. That sounds vague only because I don't know enough about you to be more specific ... but it's a huge investment, and you shouldn't base your purchase on what someone else is wearing ... especially an instructor who wears it because that's what his shop sells, rather than that's what he'd prefer to be diving in.

... Bob (an instructor)
BDub
I've Got Gills

Post by BDub »

I was told that the Laminate was more durable than the neoprene...it feels more durable....did I get that wrong?
Traditionally, tri-lams are more durable than neoprene. Crushed neoprene drysuits are pretty durable, more durable than regular neoprene drysuits. My personal experience, having put several hundred dives on each kind, has been that the tri-lams are more durable than compressed neo and regular neo drysuits.

Do keep in mind that that compressed or crushed neoprene drysuits do not change their buoyancy characteristics at depth because they are already compressed.

Hope that helps.

Brian
Last edited by BDub on Wed Jun 14, 2006 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"There needs to be more strawberry condoms. Just not on my regulator" - DSteding
BDub
I've Got Gills

Post by BDub »

especially an instructor who wears it because that's what his shop sells, rather than that's what he'd prefer to be diving in.
Disclaimer and additional info...I do teach for NWSD and they do sell Diving Concepts. They actually picked them up not too long ago and I was thrilled when they did as I've wanted this suit for quite some time (3+ years). I was the first in line to buy the suit and am thrilled with it. I say that as a happy customer, not an instructor.

To support Bob's statement, I have used a drysuit that the shop carried and had nothing but problems with it (the shop has since dropped this line due to inferior quality, thank goodness). Many instructors are required to wear what the shop sells (In my case, I'm happy to). In many instances, they'll get a very good deal on that suit for the reason Bob mentioned, students tend to buy what their instructors use. Basing your decision on what you see a lot of instructors wearing is, like Bob said, the wrong reason.

Look for the suit that you like, that fits you, and suits your needs (no pun intended). If possible, try to avoid a custom suit as I have heard (and have had my own) horror stories.