Thanks NWSD - I'm a SCUBA diver!

New to the NW Dive Club Forum? Come in and introduce yourself, the water's fine!
claret
Hi, I'm New To NWDC!

Thanks NWSD - I'm a SCUBA diver!

Post by claret »

I certified through NAUI with NWSD this weekend. I want to thank my instructors for their time and patience. What an unforgettable experience! I hope to get back in the water as soon as possible.

My class spent all last week doing lecture and then practicing skills in a community pool. Over the weekend we did a total of five dives at Seacrest Park. I was actually thankful for a small class size, since it meant one on one attention was possible. With 2 instructors and one Dive Master (Instructor candidate), and three students including me, I felt like I was getting a real bonus in my training.

The desire to do this in the first place was a trip to Maui a couple of months ago, where I snorkeled for the first time. I went out on one of those half-day trips where they find a good spot based on several conditions, and then you step off the boat into a critter wonderland! So it was amazing, and my daughter was with me, and she kept diving down as far as she could with her snorkel, and then I tried and not knowing how to alleviate the pain that I was feeling in my ears. I wanted more. There was so much to see below the surface! Plus, anything that I have even a remote interest in, which is a lot of things, I want to try out. The technical side of diving is just cool with all the gadgets and math and navigation. Love it! But, diving allows me to visit another world that most people will never see in-person. I'm speechless over it, really. I was in tears after my first open-water dive this weekend. I was so overwhelmed emotionally.

Now I'm all set to dive to depths of 60 feet (for now) and dive Nitrox which I haven't had a chance to do yet, but I will definitely dive with on my next dive. Yay, math!

I just want to mention a few things that I really appreciated about my dive instruction with NWSD. They're a group of very knowledgeable and respectful divers. The instructors took their time to make sure that we weren't just completing a skill in the water, but that we felt comfortable. They shared important tips on (diving) etiquette which is something I take very seriously in any activity I participate in. Thanks Brian, Jeanna, and Jason. And to the other 2 students in my class, K and M, enjoy diving!!!

-claret
thelawgoddess
Pelagic

Post by thelawgoddess »

hey claret, i was the "k" in your class! ;-)

i want to second everything claret said about nwsd and our instructors and assistants. they were all truly top notch. i don't think any of us left feeling like we couldn't go out tomorrow and dive on our own (with a buddy of course). like claret said, not only did they teach us diving skills (all in the spirit of doing it safely), but they managed to impart some of their common sense and respect for the environment as well as those around us (whether scuba divers or not).

congratulations on finishing your cert, claret! :-) i look forward to hearing about your future scuba adventures ...
"Life without passion is life without depth."~J.Hollis
my FLICKR photo sets
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

:wav:
CONGRATULATIONS to lawgoddess and claret! Way to go you guys!
:wav:

And welcome to NW Dive Club Claret! Thank you as well for sharing your emotion after your first dive. Diving is such a privilege, and if I ever lost that joy and amazement I don't think I would continue diving. You'll find lots of folks with that same passion on this board.

Tom Nic
Zen Diver v1
Aquaphile

Post by Zen Diver v1 »

Congrats to you both on a huge accomplishment!

-Valerie \:D/
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

Good job, both of y'all! =D> Now you need to start diving as much as you possibly can! And buying ridiculous amounts of heavy, expensive gear! Welcome to the club.
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
Sasquatch
Compulsive Diver

Post by Sasquatch »

Congratulations to you both. It is a wonderful new world to explore!

Hope to dive with you soon.

Sea ya!
Aquanautchuck
Pelagic

Post by Aquanautchuck »

Nailer99 wrote:Good job, both of y'all! =D> Now you need to start diving as much as you possibly can! And buying ridiculous amounts of heavy, expensive gear! Welcome to the club.
I'll second that Nailer. I am going through my garage selling all the cool stuff I thought I just had to have over the years and it is scary. #-o

Charles
sparky
I've Got Gills

Post by sparky »

Congrats:

and welcome to the club I take it this means that we will be seeing you at
the next club outting then .

rember now the fun part begaines you are about to learn so much its unreal.

looking foward to diving with you both soon..

Sparky
A Smart Man
Learns from his mistakes

A Wise Man
Learns from the mistakes of those that have gone before him
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

A word to the wise: write as much down as you can about your experiences getting certified, in your dive log, so you can look back when you reach (insert many #s of dives here) dives and think to yourself "gee whiz, I can't believe.....". :book:

So, when are we going diving?!!!! :occasion5:
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

I second that question Calvin ... I think we should have a "let's take the noobs diving" day ... what're y'all doing this Saturday? \:D/

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Zen Diver v1
Aquaphile

Post by Zen Diver v1 »

That's a great idea Bob! Unfortunately I'm committed to the Great Annual Fish Count REEF dive at Sund Rock on Saturday.

-Valerie
Scubak
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubak »

So...are we diving?
K
"Let's go diving!"
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

I could go mid-morning (or if you can drag me out of bed, earlier). I have a wedding that evening, but I'd love to get the Newbies into the water and help 'em get acquainted with our local marine life (i.e., existing NWDC members).
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

It'd be a Cove 2 kind've day ... the tide chart's showing some serious cleavage on Saturday ... http://www.dairiki.org/tides/daily.php/sea/2006-07-22

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
thelawgoddess
Pelagic

Post by thelawgoddess »

well, i totally forgot about the can't-drive-over-the-pass-after-diving issue, and my weekend plans involved driving over the pass on saturday ... so i definitely can't dive saturday ... :-( ... unless i cancel my weekend plans. but i do want to get out there - sooner than later!
my FLICKR photo sets
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Grateful Diver wrote: ... the tide chart's showing some serious cleavage on Saturday ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
:smt119 Wow... I'll never look at a tide chart exactly the same way! :smt119
epuffy
Just Settling In

Post by epuffy »

Hey "K".. it's "E"... I see we have a similar taste in internet chat boards. haha
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

Congrats to the New Divers!!!!!!
Now.....
Dive, Dive, Dive!
:toimonster: :fish: :fish: :fish:

See you both in the water soon! =D>

Tom nic and I got certified together about a year ago!
It has been great learning, as we dive together alot!
and are consistantly around the same exspierience level.

We always talk about what we learned on each dive.

This dive club has helped us so much!

And don't let ,"Not having your own gear" stop you. Tom and I rented from our LDS several times before we actually purchased our gear.

Here's to meeting and diving with you soon! :occasion5: :sign10: :sign10: :sign10: :sign10: <--("that's diving!" right Calvin?)

Later, :salute: , Bassman :smt035
thelawgoddess
Pelagic

Post by thelawgoddess »

epuffy wrote:Hey "K".. it's "E"... I see we have a similar taste in internet chat boards. haha
and cars. ;-) hope you're having a great time at edmonds today!
my FLICKR photo sets
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

hah, that's awesome that LG knows my buddy E. =D>