Greetings to NWDC from E. WA.

New to the NW Dive Club Forum? Come in and introduce yourself, the water's fine!
747pilot
Frequent Bubbler

Greetings to NWDC from E. WA.

Post by 747pilot »

New to the forum and fairly new to diving, or should I say renew. First certified in 1973. I got hyperthermic on my OW dive, never drove back to Lighthouse dive center (the store was part of the Harvey wetsuit bldg. at that time) to get my card.... didn't want it. Last October I was in Australia and went diving on the Great Barrier reef and that cinched it, I was back. Recertified in Jan. Love it. Any others in E. WA.?
thelawgoddess
Pelagic

Post by thelawgoddess »

welcome back to diving. :hello2:
where in eastern wa are you? we go to leavenworth fairly often.
"Life without passion is life without depth."~J.Hollis
my FLICKR photo sets
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Welcome back!

Cold beats alot of potential PNW divers... but it's SO worth fighting back and fighting through it to the amazing diving we have around here!

Good luck with the cold water!
747pilot
Frequent Bubbler

Post by 747pilot »

Sounder wrote:Welcome! It's probably a typo, but I have to ask - did you get Hyperthermic (too hot) or Hypothermic (too cold)? There is such a thing as being too hot underwater too - I experienced it in Hawaii in a wetsuit that I REALLY didn't need... the next dive was in my swim trunks. In PNW waters, I'm guessing you got really cold but just in case, I thought I'd ask.

My wife got REALLY cold on her OW dives too - fortunately we did our second day from a boat and the DM on board had hot water ready for her when she got out of the water. He poured it down her wetsuit and she was better - she swore off diving in cold water until she got her dry suit which she now has - we just need to get her neck seal made smaller (neoprene).
You are correct.. hypothermic. Just cause I can fly planes around the world doesn't nessesarily mean I can spell. Take "nessesarily" for example. "Necessarily" would be how my wife spells it, but what the heck does she know?
747pilot
Frequent Bubbler

Post by 747pilot »

Tom Nic wrote:Welcome back!

Cold beats alot of potential PNW divers... but it's SO worth fighting back and fighting through it to the amazing diving we have around here!

Good luck with the cold water!
Thanks Tom and all the rest of you. I wouldn't have come back without the nice DUI drysuit. Ahhhhh, much better!
I probably would not have quit the first time but somehow my "buddy" left me and I ended up on the surface with so little ability to move my limbs, I thought I wasn't going to make it. This was at Salt Water state park and as I recall, it was a long way to shore. I do remember that I was so cold when on the bottom, that I couldn't hold my regulator in my mouth without constantly pushing it back with my hand.

Mike
747pilot
Frequent Bubbler

Post by 747pilot »

thelawgoddess wrote:welcome back to diving. :hello2:
where in eastern wa are you? we go to leavenworth fairly often.
I live in Ephrata. 17 miles NW of Moses Lake. I go XC skiing in Leavenworth a fair bit.

Thanks for asking

Mike
thelawgoddess
Pelagic

Post by thelawgoddess »

cool! we go skate skiing in town sometimes. (well, maybe i should rephrase that and say i took a skate skiing lesson last winter and am still learning!)

do you do any diving over there anywhere? me and my significant buddy just recently got certified, but since we go to l-worth pretty often it'd be really cool if we could mix diving in with those trips sometimes ...
my FLICKR photo sets
747pilot
Frequent Bubbler

Post by 747pilot »

thelawgoddess wrote:cool! we go skate skiing in town sometimes. (well, maybe i should rephrase that and say i took a skate skiing lesson last winter and am still learning!)

do you do any diving over there anywhere? me and my significant buddy just recently got certified, but since we go to l-worth pretty often it'd be really cool if we could mix diving in with those trips sometimes ...
I haven't done any diving here (can't find a buddy who's not working all the dang time) but I'd be willing to go. I have a couple of lakes that are supposed to be kind of cool. Blue lake which is north of Ephrata about 15 miles and the lake that is at the bottom of Dry Falls is supposed to be full of large and fearless brown trout. Would that interest you?
thelawgoddess
Pelagic

Post by thelawgoddess »

well, i just think it'd be cool to dive over there to check out something freshwater and to have something to do when it's too hot to do much at all. i'm sure the trout factor would interest my boyfriend!
my FLICKR photo sets
747pilot
Frequent Bubbler

Post by 747pilot »

thelawgoddess wrote:well, i just think it'd be cool to dive over there to check out something freshwater and to have something to do when it's too hot to do much at all. i'm sure the trout factor would interest my boyfriend!
In fairness, it's been a while since I heard that about the browns but I'm still willing if you guys are. Name the time and if I'm home, I'll be there.
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

747 - I totally understand about the cold. Like I said, my wife was a real trooper, but the cold cut right through her. She now refers to her dry suit as "diving in my jammies" and almost loves her jumpsuit/undersuit out of the water as in the water!

I asked about hyperthermic because recently I've actually become too hot in my wetsuit in shallow water and have unzipped my wet suit to let cold water in.
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
747pilot
Frequent Bubbler

Post by 747pilot »

Sounder wrote:747 - I totally understand about the cold. Like I said, my wife was a real trooper, but the cold cut right through her. She now refers to her dry suit as "diving in my jammies" and almost loves her jumpsuit/undersuit out of the water as in the water!

I asked about hyperthermic because recently I've actually become too hot in my wetsuit in shallow water and have unzipped my wet suit to let cold water in.
I happened to do the 2 day mini lobster season in Miami. When I asked if I needed a wet suit the girl just looked at me and said "NNNNNNoooooooo". Boy was she right. Water was 87 F.
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

Welcome to NWDC, Mike :hello2:

We're a friendly group out here, for Coasties that is! :smt064
thelawgoddess
Pelagic

Post by thelawgoddess »

747pilot wrote:I happened to do the 2 day mini lobster season in Miami. When I asked if I needed a wet suit the girl just looked at me and said "NNNNNNoooooooo". Boy was she right. Water was 87 F.
i'm pretty sure i'd personally still need a wetsuit or diveskin of some sort. 87's some pretty cold bath water! :bootyshake:
my FLICKR photo sets
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

LG, 87 is very warm water, diving-wise. You're moving quite a bit more when diving than when soaking in the tub (well, hopefully). However, no matter what water temp I'm diving in I'm always in a fullsuit for the exposure protection. I have a 2mm ScubaPro steamer that keeps the ickies off of me in the warmest waters and a 5/4mm Pinnacle fullsuit with Merino wool liner for the in-between waters or thermoclimes.
Sasquatch
Compulsive Diver

Post by Sasquatch »

Hello and welcome to NWDC!

Hopefully you can make a Club dive with some of us next time you're on the wetside.
747pilot
Frequent Bubbler

Post by 747pilot »

Sasquatch wrote:Hello and welcome to NWDC!

Hopefully you can make a Club dive with some of us next time you're on the wetside.
LOVE TO! Thanks for the offer.

Mike
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

747 pilot!
Make sure you either check the Dive postings or post one yourself next time you can come to the West side!
One or more of us will hook up with you for a dive or two with you! :supz: