I COULD BURST

New to the NW Dive Club Forum? Come in and introduce yourself, the water's fine!
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Re: I COULD BURST

Post by Norris »

Can't practice on Thursday, got me CLASS TWO!!!

For what its worth, I just completed my first class last night and swam my three laps and treaded water for ten minutes. I will be updating you all as to my class accomplishments so that I may take you all back to your beginning days.

Sandra is an excellent instructor and very easy to work with....I am hoping for a faster class due to it only being a buddy of mine and myself. Thursday class two.

No need to reply people, Im just sharing my good news!
**Pinch it, don't stick your finger through. You're just pinching a bigger hole.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

spatman wrote:hello, and welcome!

keep us posted on your developments, and if you have any questions, just ask! there are loads of divers here always will to offer advice, and sometimes even show a newbie around.
Yippee first confined dive last night covered all kinds of things and it went fast!
3 modules DONE!!!
We have classroom Tuesday, last confined dive Thursday, and open water on Saturday the 11th. ALKI here I COME!!!

Rick
**Pinch it, don't stick your finger through. You're just pinching a bigger hole.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

Go Norris! :supz:
Keep us posted, it's fun to read about the first time_ _ _ _...(Fill in the blank)
It takes us back to those first days of the addiction.
let me know when you and your buddy want to dive Three Tree N. I'll gladly give you the tour!
Oh ya, And it has to be on a Thursday!
Hi, my name is Keith, and I'm a Dive Addict! :supz:
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

YIPPEE finished my last classroom last night and Thurday will be the last confined water dive. Had a blast at the last one as when the modules were complete she allowed us to practice kicking (using up air) and just swimming around. What a rush, I wish I could find the words to really express my excitement.
My friend is a little confused about his feelings on the whole thing. It seems that diving in predominantly dark waters kinda makes him nervous. He is anxious to do our first open water in order to be able to really guage his feelings on diving. I am simply encouraging and attempting to knock down any walls that he puts up. Im that kind of person though, being an operations manager I tend to have to do that plenty.
Our first open water dive is this Saturday at Alki 9:am. Unfortunetely that cuts Friday night band practice a little short but thems the breaks.

Just wanted to update you all, and I hope that reading this kinda helps take you back.

:supz:
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

This totally takes me back - your excitement is something I can definitely identify with.

Diving during the day-time is a lot less "confining" than doing it at night. You'll be diving during the day for a while anyway - and probably should for a while to get comfortable. Dark is REALLY dark at night in our water.

Congrats!!
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

Sounder wrote:This totally takes me back - your excitement is something I can definitely identify with.

Diving during the day-time is a lot less "confining" than doing it at night. You'll be diving during the day for a while anyway - and probably should for a while to get comfortable. Dark is REALLY dark at night in our water.

Congrats!!
Thats great news. Perhaps when we dive Saturday it will quash the assumptions that he has on light, considering its during the day. I'm not even done with this yet and am already going to pursue advanced after my 20th dive or so..whatever the pre-requisite is...
Goal = Nitox and wreck diving.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

Norris wrote:I'm not even done with this yet and am already going to pursue advanced after my 20th dive or so..whatever the pre-requisite is...
Goal = Nitox and wreck diving.
dude, i totally applaud your enthusiasm. =D> learning will always be beneficial, but the best thing you can do after your OW cert is just dive. a lot. with good divers. don't just go chasing certifications, gain knowledge. and the best short term way to do that is by absorbing it from other folks on this board, many of whom are instructors. also, get really good at what you've learned so far before you move on to the next level. without a solid foundation, everything else you learn will be shaky and the learning curve much steeper.

stepping down from the lectern...
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

+1 for what Spatman said.

If you jump into AOW now, you're just getting a few more guided dives, but you won't be an advanced diver. Get some bottom time and then ask around about various AOW classes... They're definitely NOT all equal.
smike
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by smike »

I'm hitting around dive 55 or so, and at this point NOW I should take the advanced, ask around here for an instructor that does a REAL advanced class. The difference is that you have enough experience to appreciate the things you are learning on an advanced class. For me, as an example, I have no need whatsoever to take nitrox, it would be of little value for the type of diving I do.

1). Get 30 - 50 dives down.
2.) Figure out your goals are from there.
3.) Find the instructor that will teach what you want to learn, and that will teach you what you do not know you want to learn.
4.) Buy new gear, now that you know what you really should of bought in the first place. :laughing3: :evil4:

S'Mike
Behold, the King reigns! You are his publicity agents. Therefore advertise, advertise, advertise, the King and his kingdom.
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

smike wrote:4.) Buy new gear, now that you know what you really should of bought in the first place. :laughing3: :evil4:
lol. so true.
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

You know after reading everyones suggestions and thinking about it, yeah my enthusiasm is driving some premature goals. You are all absolutely right. Once certified I will be diving quite a lot. Hopefully I can dive with some of you and learn some stuff, in addition to gathering my gear. Whew, just got to breath...in out in out 1 2 3 4 5 6...
Thanks for helping me to put some logic behind my goals and the time frame in which I should realistically attempt to accomplish. I'm sure you all understand...heh heh.

Anxious to meet some of you.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

... and don't go running out to buy your gear all of a sudden. Learn what you want and go from there. Many people buy all their gear up front, and then end up replacing much of it about 50-75 dives later when they realize what they ACTUALLY want is not what they got in the first place.
scottsax
I've Got Gills

Post by scottsax »

Sounder wrote:Many people buy all their gear up front, and then end up replacing much of it about 50-75 dives later when they realize what they ACTUALLY want is not what they got in the first place.
Hmm...that sounds familiar....
I'm going to look like a moose on rollerskates. -airsix
... my Mom caught me fenestrating once. -lavachickie
And I get so tired of fainting and peeing all over myself when the hammer falls on an empty chamber! -Nailer

Want to know where I'm performing? Check out my Facebook fan page!
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

scottsax wrote:
Sounder wrote:Many people buy all their gear up front, and then end up replacing much of it about 50-75 dives later when they realize what they ACTUALLY want is not what they got in the first place.
Hmm...that sounds familiar....
yeah, we all did that to a certain extent. my advice is to get a good mask and a log book to track your weighting and gear configs. everything else will fall into place as you rent and borrow different pieces of gear...
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

smike wrote:I'm hitting around dive 55 or so, and at this point NOW I should take the advanced, ask around here for an instructor that does a REAL advanced class. The difference is that you have enough experience to appreciate the things you are learning on an advanced class. For me, as an example, I have no need whatsoever to take nitrox, it would be of little value for the type of diving I do.

1). Get 30 - 50 dives down.
2.) Figure out your goals are from there.
3.) Find the instructor that will teach what you want to learn, and that will teach you what you do not know you want to learn.
4.) Buy new gear, now that you know what you really should of bought in the first place. :laughing3: :evil4:

S'Mike
Just a word of wisdom here, Don't do as I did and think you need to stay within a certain organization.
If I was to do my AOW again, I would be talking to Greatful diver! hint hint :smt064
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

Defintely noted and thanks. I will be getting a number of dives under my belt before rushing off to AOW. The dive Saturday was AWESOME. Saw some great things, swimming hooded nudibranch, Rat fish, Cod, pieces of crabs heh heh. Sandra said she hadnt seen a hooded nudibranch yet so that was cool.
Had some and chips and although VERY expensive, it was soo good after a dive. Beautiful day as well. This dive solidified my enthusiasm and our next is this Sat. Cant wait to get my card. I know that until I I buy my own gear I may not be able to afford to go EVERY weekend, but I assume every other weekend for now will be the norm. In time......
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

Hey, you are always welcome to join me on a Thursday dive if you want or can make time for it.
I always enjoy showing new divers a couple of favorite sites around here. Three Tree North or Redondo are any time dives.
Let me know if you are interested.You and/or your buddy are welcome. 253-241-5090 :salute:
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

BassMan thanks for the invite and I would love to take you up on that. However; I work 8-5pm mon - fri in Redmond. That would make it a night dive and I am not certified for that. #-o
I think I can do an early in early out on a Thursday given enough notice. Lets try and make that happen.

By the way everyone, I am done with everything but compass navigation and that happens this Sat. Sandra offered that we go somewhere else as we have been to cove 2 twice now. And as for Cove 2 I got to see a huge octopus. The head alone seemed to be about 1 1/2 feet if not bigger. The largest suction cups I saw were about silver dollar sized, if that gives any indication of size. It was exciting to say the least.

Last edited by Norris on Tue Oct 21, 2008 3:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

Norris wrote: And as for Cove 2 I got to see a huge octopus. The head alone seemed to be about 1 1/2 feet if not bigger. The largest suction cups I saw were about silver dollar sized, if that gives any indication of size. It was exciting to say the least.
last weekend there were 2 there. jedijordos got a great picture of one of them.
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

Any suggestions that I can give Sandra on this Saturdays graduation dive?
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
scottsax
I've Got Gills

Post by scottsax »

EUP is good for navigation, and there's a lot to see (if the currents behave, that is,) or Redondo is an easy dive with lots of life. Mukilteo is nice, so is the Edmonds Oil Dock (again, if the current gods/goddesses are with you.)
And I get so tired of fainting and peeing all over myself when the hammer falls on an empty chamber! -Nailer

scottsax
I've Got Gills

Post by scottsax »

scottsax wrote:EUP is good for navigation, and there's a lot to see (if the currents behave, that is,) or Redondo is an easy dive with lots of life. Mukilteo is nice, so is the Edmonds Oil Dock (again, if the current gods/goddesses are with you.)
Strike that, currents look crappy on Saturday. Redondo or Cove Deuce are the least sensitive sites I can think of. I hear Sund Rock is nice, too! \:D/

Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

You are very fortunate to see a large GPO in the open so early in your dive life! Many of us dove for a ton of dives before ever even seeing a GPO, and then they were tucked into a den. It's really a treat to see one "out and about"! Lot of folks have been enjoying those octo at Cove 2!
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

Ok it looks like I can finally leave the new visitor area and post in others!!! I AM CERTIFIED and LOVING' IT!
At Mukilteo I saw my first wolf eel within the piping of the dome. Edmonds park was the first solo with my friend and we surfaced all the way out to the dive flag (whew) and went down and saw the largest fish EVER! It was amazing seen about 5 different boats and its quite obvious that I need to buy a camera right away.

8 OW dives now and counting.

Thanks everyone for helping transition from a n00b to a certified diver. Im not done yet, I really just dont see any reason to not go Advanced after a few dives. I dont want to un-learn any bad habits, and the more I know the better.

YIPPPEEEEE!!!!
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
sheahanmcculla
I've Got Gills

Post by sheahanmcculla »

Wolf eel at Mukilteo??? Thats amazing, where is it at? I might have to check it out before it goes away.