I COULD BURST

New to the NW Dive Club Forum? Come in and introduce yourself, the water's fine!
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

I COULD BURST

Post by Norris »

So SCUBA has been something that i have wanted to do all of my life. Well I am settled now and 40 years old and decided its time. I have recieved all my gear for taking the OW course and am slotted to take it in the last week of September. One of my good friends is also getting certified with me and that is equally as awesome.
I have dove about 4 times after a good friend taught me the basics. let me use his gear, and away we went. This was when I was about 20ish. Now I want to be legit, certified and own my own gear.
I am really interested in observing the sea life of the NW and to see some of the LARGE octapus (octopi?) we have here. In addition I would like to see some sunken boats, and thats just the start.

I will get to reading these forums and try to get caught up.

YIPPPEEEE!!!!
**Pinch it, don't stick your finger through. You're just pinching a bigger hole.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
spatman
I've Got Gills

Re: I COULD BURST

Post by spatman »

hello, and welcome!

keep us posted on your developments, and if you have any questions, just ask! there are loads of divers here always will to offer advice, and sometimes even show a newbie around.
scottsax
I've Got Gills

Post by scottsax »

Norris, you've taken your first giant stride into a much larger world. Welcome!
I'm going to look like a moose on rollerskates. -airsix
... my Mom caught me fenestrating once. -lavachickie
And I get so tired of fainting and peeing all over myself when the hammer falls on an empty chamber! -Nailer

Want to know where I'm performing? Check out my Facebook fan page!
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Congrats on your upcoming classes and certification, and I LOVE your excitement! =D> My story is like yours, except that I was 49 and had snorkeled in the tropics as a kid for years - never had the experience of "stealing" a couple of forbidden dives without the ol' C-Card.

You've found a great environment to learn and meet buddies in! :supz:
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
airsix
I've Got Gills

Post by airsix »

Hi Norris! You've found the greatest diving community on the planet! You'll make a lot of friends here and have a blast. The people here are fun, good mentors, and best of all they will GO DIVING WITH YOU. :smt038 We love Pacific Northwest Diving!

-Ben
"The place looked like a washing machine full of Josh's carharts. I was not into it." --Sockmonkey
Pez7378
I've Got Gills

Post by Pez7378 »

Welcome to NWDC. Please, whatever you do, don't burst. It could get messy. Ask all the questions you like Norris, there are several people here that are happy to help.
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

Well Ill tell ya. The quickness that I recieved responses has really shown me that Googling NW Dive Forums has brought me to the right place. I have read through some areas on here and I have found a home. Ill keep you all posted as to my cert, and as I understand it, winter diving is the best as visibility is better. Looks like I'm doing this just in time!

Thank you for the Warm welcome...

I reside in Marysville btw,. for those of you near me.

:violent2: <--- hehe burst
**Pinch it, don't stick your finger through. You're just pinching a bigger hole.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

Welcome to the site, Norris. I love your enthusiasm. I got certified in my late 30's, and it has litterally been a life-changing experience for me, as I'm sure you will be finding out soon. Come back and post lots of questions- there's a lot of stuff they don't teach in many OW classes.
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

Norris wrote:Well Ill tell ya. The quickness that I recieved responses has really shown me that Googling NW Dive Forums has brought me to the right place.
it brought you to a place where there are plenty of people who are extremely unproductive at work due to their enthusiasm for diving!

...and a good spot for info, buddies, trip plans, etc...
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

Hi Norris, Welcome to the awesome world of diving. Bursting is not accepted however. [-X As for seeing all the cool stuff, This is also the place. We have many very talented underwater photographers here as well as several people who are vey adept and critter ID's and info. Be sure to check out whidby island critters and while your at it check out my site also. I didn't get certified till I was 60 but I have never regretted a moment of it!
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

spatman wrote:
Norris wrote:Well Ill tell ya. The quickness that I recieved responses has really shown me that Googling NW Dive Forums has brought me to the right place.
it brought you to a place where there are plenty of people who are extremely unproductive at work due to their enthusiasm for diving!

...and a good spot for info, buddies, trip plans, etc...
ha ha ha Thats for sure....sitting at my desk right now.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
TCWestby
Submariner

Post by TCWestby »

Norris,

Good to hear you are finally taking the plunge. I was a late bloomer too and now am totally adicted. This is definately the place to find buddies.

If you are ever up north let me know, I'm always looking for new buddies.
Looking for dive buddies

Work is for the surface interval....
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

TCWestby wrote:Norris,

Good to hear you are finally taking the plunge. I was a late bloomer too and now am totally adicted. This is definately the place to find buddies.

If you are ever up north let me know, I'm always looking for new buddies.
Well considering I live in Marysville that may be pretty soon. Early October and I shoudl be certified, and I will be looking to dive quite a bit.

Would anyone know what the cost is to rent:
Cylinder
Wetsuit
BCD
Regulator

Once I get certified I will be buying my own gear piece by piece but will need to rent until then.

Rick
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Typically rental gear is 50 bucks or so a day, in my experience.

Sometimes the shop that you certify with will give you rental gear at reduced prices or even free while you figure out what gear you are going to buy. Good for you - less $$ spent on rentals, Good for the shop - you buy your gear through them.
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
TCWestby
Submariner

Post by TCWestby »

Rentals vary but I believe SPD has a rent to own plan, I own my stuff so am not too up to date on pricing. I have also found good stuff on Craigs List to.

Where are you taking your classes? Keep me up to date, I dive weekly and our group loves having new folks join the Phat Boyz.

my contact info is in my profile.
Looking for dive buddies

Work is for the surface interval....
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

Taking them right here in Marysville. Dont know where our open water will be but Ill post when I do. Im 3/4 the way through the PADI book now and hope to make it through again before I start class on the 29th. A friend of m mine is joining as well. So two people looking to get some great ideas for some local spots and some group dives.

Ill update!!
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
nwscubamom
I've Got Gills

Post by nwscubamom »

Hey Norris,

Nice to have you aboard! Diving CAN TOTALLY change your life - someone once told me that and I thought "yeah suuuuuure" - but now, 9 years later, I know they were right! I took it up when I was 41, so sort of similar to you. Good time to start!

Rich is right about the critter folks here too - we've got a bunch of people not only very interested in what they're looking at, but lots of people into underwater photography.

- Janna :)
Janna Nichols
My underwater photo galleries
REEF Citizen Science Program Manager
Seen any cool critters lately?
><((((°>
-----------------------------
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

Last question before I move out of the N00b area.

I assume that 7mm wetsuit will be fine in this area. As I understand it, our Puget Sound really doesnt change in tempature that much seasonally....4-5 degrees?

Thoughts?
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

Norris wrote:Last question before I move out of the N00b area.

I assume that 7mm wetsuit will be fine in this area. As I understand it, our Puget Sound really doesnt change in tempature that much seasonally....4-5 degrees?

Thoughts?
No, Puget sound can get as high as the high 50's near the surface in the summer and as low as the low 40's in the winter... 7mm is fine for summer, but you'll most likely find yourself limited in the winter.

There are those people who swear up and down that they can dive wet in the winter "just fine." Usually, that story changes when they've saved up enough money for a drysuit.
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

Well Im not sure what I used but when I snuck in a few uncertified dives it was in February and I was fine in a wetsuit. Looking around it seems that most wetsuits only go to 7mm. So I assume thats what I used.
I really hope I can dive in the winter with one as that is the best visibility around these parts, and to tell you the truth it will take some saving in order to get me a dry suit, they are damn expensive. Is it personal preference or actually dangerous to dive here (Puget Sound) in an exposure suit during winter?

What depths will be safe for me in a wet suit in the Winter? When I said minor tempature change I was referring to below surface (30ft)? This is what my friend told me, so is that true?

Thanks for the help
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

Norris wrote:Well Im not sure what I used but when I snuck in a few uncertified dives it was in February and I was fine in a wetsuit. Looking around it seems that most wetsuits only go to 7mm. So I assume thats what I used.
I really hope I can dive in the winter with one as that is the best visibility around these parts, and to tell you the truth it will take some saving in order to get me a dry suit, they are damn expensive. Is it personal preference or actually dangerous to dive here (Puget Sound) in an exposure suit during winter?

What depths will be safe for me in a wet suit in the Winter? When I said minor tempature change I was referring to below surface (30ft)? This is what my friend told me, so is that true?

Thanks for the help
Few thoughts about wetsuit diving in winter ...

First off, it's often quite OK while you're in the water ... but once you get out you get cold in a hurry. A few jugs of hot water will sometimes take care of that problem for the short term, but you really want to watch out for hypothermia ... once your body gets cold, it won't "catch up".

Second thing is that new divers tend to move around a lot more than more experienced divers ... and as you gain experience you'll find you get a lot colder while diving ... you're just not getting as much "exercise" while doing it.

Final thing is that as you go deeper, your wetsuit gets thinner (and colder). For winter diving, I'd limit it to relatively shallow dives.

Most folks who dive wet around here are either seasonal divers, or they limit their winter dives to one per day ... that surface interval can get really uncomfortable otherwise.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

Thanks Bob,
Please define Shallow Dive...

As long as getting out and switching from wetsuit to clothes is a very short time, I should be ok?

Learning so much
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

Norris wrote:Thanks Bob,
Please define Shallow Dive...

As long as getting out and switching from wetsuit to clothes is a very short time, I should be ok?

Learning so much
As I like to tell my students, almost everything about diving is situational. In this case, "shallow" is going to be defined by your tolerance to getting cold. Thing is, as you go deeper, your suit's ability to keep your body warm decreases due to squeeze. For some people, "shallow" will be 40 feet ... for others it might be 70 feet. Your body will tell you when you've gone deep enough ... just don't try to "tough it out", keeping in mind that it'll take some time to end the dive. Don't wait till you get the shivers or that return trip will be unpleasant, if not dangerous.

Speaking from experience here ... I started diving in March, and figured that with my build (somewhat like a harbor seal) I could dive in a wetsuit. That lasted till about mid-November. By December I had a drysuit.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

i'm, shall we say, a bit lankier than bob, and my tolerance was mid-october before i vowed to not dive again without a drysuit.

a few suggestions to add if you are diving a wetsuit and decide to do more than one dive in cold conditions:

• stay in your wetsuit. getting out of and back into a wet wetsuit when it's cold is no fun
• bring a thermos full of your favorite hot beverage to drink during your surface intervals
• after or between dives, be sure to dry your head and wear a nice warm knit hat. wool gloves help, too.
• a long windproof coat that fits over your wetsuit will help you maintain your core heat much better

hope this helps...
:occasion5:
GetWet
Frequent Bubbler

Post by GetWet »

Last February when we did our open water cert at Mike Beach the water was 42. I wasn't really cold, our dives were really pretty short, as vis was non-exsistant to say the least. But when I took my mask off and replaced it I had a hard time because I couldn't feel my face! #-o

Post OW cert my totally awesome husband (nwbobber) being the smart man that he is, promptly bought me a drysuit. \:D/ I'm not cold, and I love to go diving. You will however find my name around here on the posts about 'how come I cork in my dry suit'. Different problem, totally solvable with a good buddy and great friends! :occasion5:

Welcome, and I'm sure we'll see you around on one of these dives.

Melissa