Surface Supply diver getting back into the scene

New to the NW Dive Club Forum? Come in and introduce yourself, the water's fine!
defied
I've Got Gills

Surface Supply diver getting back into the scene

Post by defied »

Hey all,
I'm not too hot at the whole introduction scene, but here goes:

I earned my NAUI certification when I was 14, dove for several years before beginning my life as an adult.
It wasn't until my 20's when I joined the military that I began diving again. I was in the Navy, so it sort of became second nature to hit the water outside of the port we pulled in to. Hawaii ftw.
After I gracefully exited the Nav, I decided to head back up here, and become a Commercial Diver. I attended the Dive institute of Technology in 2001, graduated with flying colors, and moved my happy butt on down to Louisiana Sept 10th.

I spent about a year working as a tender/diver, and became a Dive Medic, and Physicians extended for the crews I worked with. My career was cut short as my sister who was previously ill, became more so. Unfortunately that awesome job didn't pay close to enough to keep me away from my ailing sister, so i moved back up to Seattle.

I've spent some time diving in Mexico recently, but nothing too serious. I've worked on my career, and my family, and I've decided I'm going to start getting back in to the SCUBA side of diving again, so I figured I'd roll up an account, and join up to re-immerse myself in BCD's, and Dive computers, and awesome people who live in the best waters in the world.

So never fear, for I is here... 0]

It'll be great to talk to you all.

D

PS I have a great interest in underwater engineering, so any likeminded people, direct me to the sub builders, and the homemade scoo-doo's!
airsix
I've Got Gills

Re: Surface Supply diver getting back into the scene

Post by airsix »

Welcome, D! You've found the best dive club on the planet. You'll make friends fast and find that dive buddies are available daily.

-Ben
"The place looked like a washing machine full of Josh's carharts. I was not into it." --Sockmonkey
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

Welcome to our site!

Sub builders:

http://www.psubs.org/
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
defied
I've Got Gills

Post by defied »

Nailer99 wrote:Welcome to our site!

Sub builders:

http://www.psubs.org/
Thanks!

Oh yeah, I've worn that site thin. 0]
I was thinking more in the northwest scene. Something local to have fun, and wreak mayhem. 0]
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

defied wrote: Oh yeah, I've worn that site thin. 0]
I was thinking more in the northwest scene. Something local to have fun, and wreak mayhem. 0]
If your up for the mayhem thing you should fit right in here. We have all sorts here. Just plane recreational divers from brand newbies to oldies and all the way to the bleeding edge. Your sure to find buddies that fit whatever style of diving you want.

Welcome!
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

Welcome I'm a n00by

:laughing3:

First Open Water class monday the 29th! WHY DOES IT HAVE TO BE SO FAR AWAY!??!?!
**Pinch it, don't stick your finger through. You're just pinching a bigger hole.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
defied
I've Got Gills

Post by defied »

Thanks all, and welcome to you too!

If you need any help, this forum seems to be willing to help, and I will offer input where I can.

I'm a little rusty on my material thickness/ pressure scales, but I'll get it all back.
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

Norris wrote:Welcome I'm a n00by

First Open Water class monday the 29th! WHY DOES IT HAVE TO BE SO FAR AWAY!??!?!
Your not even a newbie yet! Your just a polliwog. Gotta get your cert first \:D/
defied
I've Got Gills

Post by defied »

So I realized last night, that one recommended shop is literally three blocks away from me in Tacoma on Central.

Just so you guys know, I'll probably be bugging the crap out of you, figuring out what kind of gear I'm going to be picking up. (as I assume that a Superlite 17 on scuba tanks might be a bit wasteful on the air... I'll miss my vent crank).

For now, I may go the used route on some things (I'm certified for regulator repairs, but it might be nice to start new on those), but I've got to figure out if I like BCD vest or wing, wetsuit/dry suit, etc.

I'm more comfortable with technical diving, however it may be some time before I get back in to that (money). But I love diving wrecks (did minor salvage in LA, and it stuck!), so wreck divers... where are ya!? I'm a comin'!
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

Dusty2 wrote:
Norris wrote:Welcome I'm a n00by

Your not even a newbie yet! Your just a polliwog. Gotta get your cert first \:D/
I stand corrected... :crybaby:
**Pinch it, don't stick your finger through. You're just pinching a bigger hole.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
defied
I've Got Gills

Post by defied »

So they were closed and at the Puyallup fair (I remember that booth now), so I went to the lighthouse shop on Pacific.

If anyone has any recommendations between the two of them, and reasons, could you PM me with them?
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

defied wrote:But I love diving wrecks (did minor salvage in LA, and it stuck!), so wreck divers... where are ya!? I'm a comin'!

I heard we had a few wreck divers on this board. Maybe they'll show up..... :evil4:

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

Welcome to NWDC Joshua Smith!! :partyman:

Where'd Nailer99 go?
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

Sounder wrote:Welcome to NWDC Joshua Smith!! :partyman:

Where'd Nailer99 go?
He's off to go dive the wreck of the Bunker Hill this weekend.

defied
I've Got Gills

Post by defied »

Joshua Smith wrote:
defied wrote:But I love diving wrecks (did minor salvage in LA, and it stuck!), so wreck divers... where are ya!? I'm a comin'!

I heard we had a few wreck divers on this board. Maybe they'll show up..... :evil4:
:smt064

w00t. 0]