Finally dry.

New to the NW Dive Club Forum? Come in and introduce yourself, the water's fine!
anndornfeld
Frequent Bubbler

Finally dry.

Post by anndornfeld »

I've been lurking on this site for the better part of a year, but my first-ever drysuit is serving its intended purpose of making me want to dive as much as possible - and meet others with the same goal!

I live in Seattle, got certified here 1.5 years ago, and have almost 60 dives under my belt - more than half in cold water. I've also dove Kauai, BVI (got my AOW there), South Africa (both coasts), Puerto Rico, West Palm Beach and Key Largo. Sodwana Bay in South Africa knocked my socks off for the diversity and health of its coral and fish populations. I'll write a trip report about it one of these days.

Along with diving for fun, I try whenever possible to combine work with my diving - I'm a public radio science reporter, and love to introduce the terra firma public to the wonders of the water. (Or the horrors, in the case of ocean acidification, invasives, etc.) That means if you ever have a story idea that you think would interest more than just the dive community - holla at me!

I'm working on mastering my new camera rig (Canon G10/Sea & Sea YS27-DX), too... anyone with that set-up around?

Hope to dive with y'all soon.

-Ann
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Re: Finally dry.

Post by Tom Nic »

anndornfeld wrote: Sodwana Bay in South Africa knocked my socks off for the diversity and health of its coral and fish populations. I'll write a trip report about it one of these days.

-Ann
Welcome Ann! :lurk: Glad you're going from lurking to posting - sounds like you've got alot to contribute! And welcome to the world of diving dry - you'll love it!

Oh, and we will eagerly await your report on South Africa - it's definitely been one of the places I've dreamed about. I'm guessing that there is more to diving there than "just" white sharks!

-Tom
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
airsix
I've Got Gills

Post by airsix »

Welcome, Ann!
"The place looked like a washing machine full of Josh's carharts. I was not into it." --Sockmonkey
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

Welcome Ann, There are several people here with the G10 and they are pretty good photographers too. Not to mention a very diverse group of divers with tons of experiences to share. If you can, come out this weekend and meet the crowd.
anndornfeld
Frequent Bubbler

Post by anndornfeld »

Hi, Tom!

Remember meeting me on the REEF boat dive at Hood Canal last May, when my boyfriend magically returned to the boat with your Rx mask? Still can't get over that...

Here are some of my rather lousy, but still evocative photos from Sodwana. Anyone can view them regardless of whether they're on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=7 ... 1503b93f5e

The sharks are pregnant raggies - we haven't dove with Great Whites, althought I'd like to if it weren't necessary to chum/bait 'em.

More to follow in my trip report!
anndornfeld
Frequent Bubbler

Post by anndornfeld »

Hi to the rest of you, too (who posted while I was writing my last post)!

I'm hoping to make it on Saturday, but not sure yet...

Also, I might mention that I'm hoping to do more mid-week daytime diving, if anyone is buddy-less on a random Tuesday at noon.
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

anndornfeld wrote:Remember meeting me on the REEF boat dive at Hood Canal last May, when my boyfriend magically returned to the boat with your Rx mask? Still can't get over that...
OF COURSE!! Wow!! What a great memory you just stirred up...

For those who might not know the story, a boat full of reef surveyors were getting ready for a deep dive on a Hood Canal wall to survey an area with some cloud sponges. I hadn't done a boat dive in a LONGGG time (my excuse, and I'm sticking to it). I confidently did my giant stride entry off the Down Time - only to realize that while I had the heel of my hand on my reg my fingers were 1/8th of an inch off my mask, not holding my mask firmly. :axe: It came off on the giant stride, sunk into the abyss, and I had to climb back on the Down Time and abort my dive with weeping and gnashing of teeth and great disgust... :steamingears: :angryfire: :violent1: Well Ann and her boyfriend went in afterwards and as they came up a VERY steep slope a perscription mask miraculously appeared right in front of them! None of us could believe it when they returned to the boat with my mask in hand. :partydance: :clap:

I still owe you guys! :notworthy:
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

I am retired and thus always a weekday diver. Sooo maybe we can do a south end photo dive together sometime. Check out my photo site and see what you think.

Rich
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

anndornfeld wrote:Here are some of my rather lousy, but still evocative photos from Sodwana. Anyone can view them regardless of whether they're on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=7 ... 1503b93f5e
Oh that looks like an amazing place!!! I want to go!! :bounce:
nwbobber
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by nwbobber »

Welcome Ann. What a great combination, diver and science reporter! I look forward to meeting you. I also look forward to diving dry soon too! :partydance:
If you do not change direction, you may end up where you are heading - Lao Tzu
anndornfeld
Frequent Bubbler

Post by anndornfeld »

Thanks for the warm (if not dry) welcome, everyone!

Tom - I can take no credit for the mask, as the pea soup was so thick that I was essentially solo diving that day, on what was effectively a night dive... oy.

Gorgeous photos, Rich! I've actually been to your site before, and would love to learn some of your tricks!

Look forward to meeting and diving with everyone soon.

-Ann
Aquanautchuck
Pelagic

Post by Aquanautchuck »

Welcome to our "Nut and Fruit" bowl Ann. Hope you can meet both this Saturday.
Charles
OreCoastDiver
Avid Diver

Post by OreCoastDiver »

Hi Ann,

Welcome! I've heard several of your reports and look forward to hearing more, especially now that I know you are a diver. I would love it if you came down to the Oregon Coast to dive. I'll have to come up with a good story idea so you can count it as business.
Brandon
Compression is good for the soul.
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

Welcome Ann! If you've been lurking around, you know I'm all about Thursday dives. :supz: I'll post most of my Thursday dives in the "Dive Planning" section. We dive at Redondo and Three Tree N. alot because they are easy anytime dive spots, that have alot to offer. If you like diving Dry, then you should check out a few night dives at Redondo or Three Tree N. with us. :smt064
You are welcome to join in whenever you want. I intentionally invite as many as I can and then if one or three, people can't show, the others still get to dive! I think it's a pretty good system. :evil4:

Congratulations on becoming Dry! :bounceline:

Keith :salute:
Hi, my name is Keith, and I'm a Dive Addict! :supz: