Looking for a doubles buddy this summer

New to the NW Dive Club Forum? Come in and introduce yourself, the water's fine!
in_minsk_we_trust
Avid Diver

Looking for a doubles buddy this summer

Post by in_minsk_we_trust »

Hi all,

I'm going to be living in Yakima, WA this summer and am looking for a few brave souls to do some diving with. I've been a certified diver for 15 years, mostly warm water, but have spent the last few months diving in Monterey, CA.

In August I will be doing my TDI Tech I training (Advanced Nitrox, Decompression Procedures, Extended Range) and would really like to get some practice in a set of doubles. Otherwise I'd just love to get into the Puget Sound and see what all the SeaTac talk is about!

Chris
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Re: Looking for a doubles buddy this summer

Post by CaptnJack »

I am surprised to see someone interested in extended range locally. Well sorta local.
You're welcome to come with us sometime, are you ever over here mid-week? Those are our "standard" practicy times.
Warning, we're not TDI and may corrupt you :geek:
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

in_minsk_we_trust wrote:Hi all,

I'm going to be living in Yakima, WA this summer and am looking for a few brave souls to do some diving with. I've been a certified diver for 15 years, mostly warm water, but have spent the last few months diving in Monterey, CA.

In August I will be doing my TDI Tech I training (Advanced Nitrox, Decompression Procedures, Extended Range) and would really like to get some practice in a set of doubles. Otherwise I'd just love to get into the Puget Sound and see what all the SeaTac talk is about!

Chris
Welcome to the site, Minsk! Drop me a line if you're going to be diving over here. I took adv. eanx/deco a few years back- one of the best classes I ever took. Who's your instructor?
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
airsix
I've Got Gills

Post by airsix »

Welcome to the board, Chris. This is a fun community and you'll find a lot of great people to dive with here.

-Ben (just S.E. of you in Kennewick)
"The place looked like a washing machine full of Josh's carharts. I was not into it." --Sockmonkey
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

As Richard says, there are a bunch of us who dive doubles, many of whom would be happy to do some mentoring if you like. Just let us know when you have time to head over our way! BTW, don't worry about Richard . . . Diving doubles is diving doubles, as long as you stick to a pretty standard hose routing. It's what you do from there that gets different :)

And yes, we will try to lure you to the dark side . . . :angelblue:
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
Maverick
I've Got Gills

Post by Maverick »

There are many TDI Divers here that will not try to brain wash you to the dark side. I am TDI and won't try and make you change your style of diving you learned in class. just so you understand, the Darkside is UTD, unified team diving and is . . . Well you get the picture :blah: :blah: :blah:
Maverick

Diving. . . is an active physical form of meditation. It is so silent- You're like a thought.

SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES. NOT REALLY GOOD FOR
ANYTHING, BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE
STAIRS.
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

Careful with the rule 1 violations.
"Screw "annual" service,... I get them serviced when they break." - CaptnJack (paraphrased)

"you do realize you're supposed to mix the :koolaid: with water and drink it, not snort the powder directly from the packet, right? :smt064 " - Spatman
Paulicarp
Aquanaut

Post by Paulicarp »

Maverick wrote:There are many TDI Divers here that will not try to brain wash you to the dark side. I am TDI and won't try and make you change your style of diving you learned in class. just so you understand, the Darkside is UTD, unified team diving and is . . . Well you get the picture :blah: :blah: :blah:
How much more black could this be? :blackblink:
airsix
I've Got Gills

Post by airsix »

TDI Extended Range = depths up to 180ft on air (Air as in air. As in not helium). I think Richard was just indicating that it might be challenging to find buddies here to do extended range diving by that definition. I don't think he meant any harm. Doubles buddies are easy to come by here, but deep air not so much.

Chris, you'll have a lot of fun diving with this bunch whether it's Mav, Richard, or anyone in between (actually those two are the far ends of the spectrum, so everyone else actually is in between) :evil4:

-Ben
"The place looked like a washing machine full of Josh's carharts. I was not into it." --Sockmonkey
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

I don't know why everyone is putting words in my mouth, I just offered to do some shallow fun dives with the OP - in doubles if that's what he wants to play with. Places like Edmonds, Redondo, Les Davis, and 3tree. I also have several sets of doubles, in different sizes, if Chris wants to try some alternatives to whatever he currently has - for fun too.

While I am a little surprised that someone would choose extended range over normoxic trimix, its not that big a deal to me. Maybe the OP will have different plans after adv. nitrox+deco, who knows. From the sounds of it, the OP has an instructor in mind anyway.

I am not affiliated with any agency, I am not an instructor, and have zero "religious" motivations here.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

Richard, we are TEASING you . . . with love.

As I said, doubles are doubles. Richard mentored me through my first doubles dives. We've all been there, and my guess is we'd all be happy to help somebody else through the transition.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

airsix wrote:Doubles buddies are easy to come by here, but deep air not so much.
I did a ton of it before I went closed circuit, and so did a lot of my buddies. Nothing at all wrong with it, for the right person.
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
dsteding
I've Got Gills

Post by dsteding »

Maverick wrote:There are many TDI Divers here that will not try to brain wash you to the dark side. I am TDI and won't try and make you change your style of diving you learned in class. just so you understand, the Darkside is UTD, unified team diving and is . . . Well you get the picture :blah: :blah: :blah:
Ahh, you flatter us, BJ. I read this and realized we must have the Jedi mind-trick thing down.

To the OP: there are lots of us who would be happy to take you diving, disregard some of the back and forth in this thread--some of it is old history, and most of it is in good humor (which sometimes doesn't come across too well . . . )

Feel free to shoot me a PM and I'd be happy to go diving with you.

-Doug
Fishstiq wrote:
To clarify.........

I cannot stress enough that this is MY PROBLEM.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

LCF wrote: As I said, doubles are doubles.
I would be careful what assumptions you make...
For all I know, the OP has a 7mm wetsuit, Faber HP tanks which are -7 empty, a remote isolator, and stuffs his octo along the tank behind his 100lb bungied wing. Whatever, its all fine for Edmonds at the like.
LCF wrote: Richard mentored me through my first doubles dives. We've all been there, and my guess is we'd all be happy to help somebody else through the transition.
I did?? Man that memory thing ain't what it used to be. Anyway, your welcome :) I'm just happy to go diving with a desert rat occasionally.
Cuppie
Dive-aholic

Post by Cuppie »

MAV sends his apologies for those of you that think his post was out of line, but was banning necessary? this thread seems to have a few misunderstandings said and taken by more than just MAV.

Welcome to the club Minsk!!
"I peed my Weezle John!!!"
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

I'm with you Cuppie, wazzup with that?? :(
Diver_C
Amphibian

Post by Diver_C »

Group hug for the doubles crowd :grouphug:
Cuppie
Dive-aholic

Post by Cuppie »

i have a set of double 46's .....do i get to be in the group hug?!!! \:D/
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

Cuppies doubles. :evil4:
Hi, my name is Keith, and I'm a Dive Addict! :supz:
Cuppie
Dive-aholic

Post by Cuppie »

I love that picture but I am kind of a cat person myself!! and yes, i have the dubs!!! I am working up to a bigger set but right now i am okay with the little kid toys!!!
Attachments
158.jpg
158.jpg (32.62 KiB) Viewed 2911 times
in_minsk_we_trust
Avid Diver

Wow what a response! Wrote that original post down in Key Largo (dove the Duane with DPV's :metal: [shameless bragging]) and didn't expect such response when I logged back on today in San Francisco! This is a great forum you guys have going here.

I'm actually packing my bags for the move right now. I won't be in WA till next week but as soon as I'm squared away, and know my schedule, I'll jump back on and get in touch with someone.

I'm down to go out with whoever loves to dive, whether they be GUE, TDI or whatever. I'm always excited to learn different perspectives on diving if they are available. I had hoped to take a Fundies class here in San Francisco but couldn't sync my schedule with the classes Alberto Nava was offering.

I'm going to be in Cozumel for a week in early August and it seems the best time for me to really concentrate on training. Most instructors there teach TDI, and the one I was recommended to (Don Labbruzzo), prefers to combine and group the entire technical dive training into four specific classes, including Into to Tech, Tech I (Advanced Nitrox, Decompression Procedures & Extended Range), ect.. So TDI it is. :bounce:

I'm not looking to do anything crazy. Just get wet, maybe swim with some doubles a few times to get acclimated or launch Sea-World-style off the noses of wild Orcas... You know: the usual stuff....

Thanks again,
Chris
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Sweet, glad we didn't scare you off :highfive:
Are you just in Yakima for the summer? Doing what?

Feel free to PM me here when you decide to come over.

Richard
Paulicarp
Aquanaut

Post by Paulicarp »

in_minsk_we_trust wrote:I'm down to go out with whoever loves to dive, whether they be GUE, TDI or whatever. I'm always excited to learn different perspectives on diving if they are available.
:supz:

Right on! I think you'll find the general attitude here is the same. Even though there are different perspecitves, it's a big tent where at least everyone agrees on getting wet together as often as possible.
in_minsk_we_trust
Avid Diver

P.S. Joshua, if I go diving with you buddy, forget doubles, I want to be on Closed Circuit!
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

in_minsk_we_trust wrote:P.S. Joshua, if I go diving with you buddy, forget doubles, I want to be on Closed Circuit!

Must be nice to have that option! :supz:

Some day... :fish:
Hi, my name is Keith, and I'm a Dive Addict! :supz: