As n00b as they come.

New to the NW Dive Club Forum? Come in and introduce yourself, the water's fine!
revstr
Frequent Bubbler

As n00b as they come.

Post by revstr »

Howdy, just wanted to take a break from lurking and give a shout out to everyone-- this seems like a friendly bunch and I think I'll stick around. Completely new to diving, no training yet but OW scheduled (start in a week, wish me luck).

I've wanted to do this for awhile and I'm pretty excited to finally be getting in the water and meeting northwest divers. I'm looking forward to being a part of what looks like a really fun group.

First question-- would it be worthwhile to just get a cheap wetsuit for starters and then go straight into a dry suit investment (with training) for year round diving? It seems like that's where I'd want to be eventually anyway.

See you around!
defied
I've Got Gills

Re: As n00b as they come.

Post by defied »

Hey, welcome aboard!

Get a wetsuit, and focus on the rest of your gear before you invest in a drysuit.

The major advantage of a dry suit is that your Surface interval between dives during the winter time isn't wicked cold!
If you're not used to the comfort of a drysuit, you'll be just fine in a wetsuit.

Get trained up, and come get wet, brother!

D(B)
fmerkel
I've Got Gills

Post by fmerkel »

If you are more or less 'standard size' look for a used one cheaply. People are dumping them all the time.
For long term successful diving in Puget Sound the vast majority end up in a drysuit.
To Air is Human,
To Respire, Divine.
ljjames
I've Got Gills

Post by ljjames »

brrr... if i had to do it over again, I would buy a cheap drysuit right out of the gate, i bought a harvey's neoprene drysuit at about dive 25 as it was (and my wetsuit was not the cheapest, so i ended up spending 350.00 more than i would have if i'd just bought the drysuit first). There is no need to suffer if you don't have to. Silent World Diving systems in bellevue has the option to certify in a drysuit. Almost all shops have a drysuit orientation class and your instructor should be able to help you make a good decision with regards to a starter drysuit.

Had someone told me at the beginning "save that money and put it towards a drysuit" i'm not sure i would have listened, but by halfway through my advanced course when i was freeeeezing my ass off on dive number 3 of the day (it was late summer) I made the decision to eat raman noodles for a while and blew my savings (I was a poor college student) on a drysuit.

YMMV

i knew i wanted to 'be a diver'. In the northwest. it did not dawn on me for a second that someone would be a tropical only diver. I took class with the single minded intent to dive here. in cold water. I was young (18?) and not very many brain cells had finished cooking yet ;)

I was so sure, that i actually bought my own gear before I finished OW class. That was 1990, and yup... still diving... still spending way to much money on gear.
----
"I survived the Brittandrea Dorikulla, where's my T-shirt!"
airsix
I've Got Gills

Post by airsix »

I agree with Laura. If you are still iffy about the sport then maybe go with a wetsuit. But if you know you like diving locally and plan to keep doing it, then frankly I think buying a wetsuit is a waste of money - money that should go toward a long-term piece of equipment. There are always used drysuits available in good condition for less than the price of a new wetsuit.

-Ben
"The place looked like a washing machine full of Josh's carharts. I was not into it." --Sockmonkey
Jenbowes
Amphibian

Post by Jenbowes »

And just to be contrary...

I'm still in my wetsuit, which wasn't too ridiculously priced ($180 new), and I'm fine. If you get cold in the water, a drysuit is a very very good idea to start. If not, a wetsuit may do you just fine until you start with multiple dives in the cold weather.

I will switch to a drysuit, but my sticker shock kept me from another $1000.00+ investment at the get go.

But...

We'll I'm cheap.

:-)

Welcome and hope you love it!
:partyman: This is my favorite smiley!!

CAKE IS THE ONLY THING THAT MATTERS
CalgaryDF
Just Settling In

Post by CalgaryDF »

If you have your heart set on getting a drysuit for whatever reason, I would save up a little longer and get a cheap used drysuit if not a new one. I found a number of decent prices on drysuits at http://www.discountdivers.com and have been super happy with my suit so far. You may want to try a drysuit during your OW course to see how you like it before buying a drysuit. I would also rent either a drysuit or wetsuit before buying just so that you are confident that it is what you want.
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

Welcome to the club. Your in the right place for a noob. We have lots of guys here that went through what you are heading into very recently and I'm sure they will be eager to help you as they were helped by others here.

My advice, From experience. Use the rental gear till you get your cert and a few dives in for two reasons. 1. your new and have no idea what to buy which leads to lots of wasted money and 2. you may find that you don't like diving or have some underlying problem that you are not aware of yet that may prevent you from diving. You hear all the time about guys who went out and bought lots of equipment that end up not being able to cope with sinus problems, ear problems, claustrophobia or any one of several things that surface during class or shortly afterwords.

My advice is... get your cert, do a few dives with some experienced divers and then when you know your going to stay with it. use that experience and the knowledge of other more experienced people to make intelligent decisions about equipment that will last you and you won't outgrow over night. As for a dry suit? It's the only way to go in these waters if you want to continue diving. wetsuits are not suitable for these cold waters and most begin to find excuses not to dive before long diving in a wet suit.

Diving is a very dollar intensive sport to get into and you have a great resource here to help you spend your bucks wisely.
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

welcome to NWDC!

some very good advice in this thread. here's my 2psi:

i agree with renting until you know for sure what you want. wetsuit rentals are pretty cheap and by the time you come close to the cost of what purchasing one would be, you'll know you want a drysuit. ;) or maybe not.

as far as buying a drysuit, i am still using the first drysuit i bought used for $400 (which included the undergarment). aside from replacing one wrist seal, it has been great for well over 100 dives. now it's starting to wear in some spots, so i've decided to save for a new one. but it was a great initial investment, and i would recommend keeping your eye out for a good used suit while you put your money toward a good BC, regs, etc to start.
revstr
Frequent Bubbler

Post by revstr »

Great advice here, thank you all! I won't be buying any suits for awhile but this gives me some direction and things to think about. Black-- I might take you up on your offer to show me around.

I'll keep everyone updated on my OW cert.
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

Of course there is the Monstrous Monday Mukilteo Madness Meeting!

EVERY MONDAY!!!
**Pinch it, don't stick your finger through. You're just pinching a bigger hole.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
RPLavatar
Getting To Know Folks

Post by RPLavatar »

Hey Revstr WELCOME! I'm new here too and my OW class starts next week in Everett. Where is your class?
revstr
Frequent Bubbler

Post by revstr »

RPLavatar wrote:Hey Revstr WELCOME! I'm new here too and my OW class starts next week in Everett. Where is your class?
Taking the class in Woodinville. We're both relatively close to Muk, we should meet up with those Monday guys once we get all trained 'n stuff.
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

The 6:30 crew is the funnest....Im just saying
**Pinch it, don't stick your finger through. You're just pinching a bigger hole.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
Mattleycrue76
I've Got Gills

Post by Mattleycrue76 »

Norris wrote:The 6:30 crew is the funnest....Im just saying

Debatable...

Welcome to NWDC! Look forward to seeing you in the water!
"The She-Ps didn't work for either one of us, however- we accidently glued one to Dan's cat, and the other one ended up in a DEA evidence locker somehow." - Joshua Smith
Jenbowes
Amphibian

Post by Jenbowes »

With the poorest grasp of the English language?

This article is fun! :tomatoe: http://grammar.quickanddirtytips.com/is ... -word.aspx

Your options now:
:axe:
:lalala:
:sleep:
:confused:
:clap:

Me -----> :biggrin:

Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

Jenbowes wrote:

This article is fun! :tomatoe: http://grammar.quickanddirtytips.com/is ... -word.aspx

Your options now:

Oh my bad....funnerestalicious
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
Jenbowes
Amphibian

Post by Jenbowes »

Norris wrote:
Jenbowes wrote:

Your options now:

Oh my bad....funnerestalicious
MUCH better. Absotively, posolutely, fabuliscious!

BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

welcome revstr.
I agree rent the gear while your getting started and then start putting a package deal together from your local Dive shop.
you can get alot of honest advice right here and don't forget to keep us updated on how your training dives go.
tell us what went well and what went not-so-well and more importantly don't forget to laugh at yourself and share that with us too.
looking forward to meeting and diving with you soon!

Keith.
Hi, my name is Keith, and I'm a Dive Addict! :supz:
revstr
Frequent Bubbler

Post by revstr »

First breath of compressed air happens tonight.
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

AWESOME!!!!! We anxiously await your arrival!
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
Jenbowes
Amphibian

Post by Jenbowes »

revstr wrote:First breath of compressed air happens tonight.

:metal:

You'll be a :mermaid: in no time!!!

Um...

except w/o the "girl parts".

Why isn't there a scuba smiley?

Hey! This smiley looks like you already! :sunny:

revstr
Frequent Bubbler

Post by revstr »

Crowded pool so far but learning and loving it. Turns out my body is cool with me being underwater, to 15ft at least. Having lots of fun so far and I hope to see you all out there in the open water soon. I'll try and keep my fins off the bottom, promise.
Geek
Pelagic

Post by Geek »

revstr wrote:Crowded pool so far but learning and loving it. Turns out my body is cool with me being underwater, to 15ft at least. Having lots of fun so far and I hope to see you all out there in the open water soon. I'll try and keep my fins off the bottom, promise.
Suuurrreeee, everyone says that!! :lalala:

Good luck!!
If I'm killed by the questions like a cancer,
Then I'll be buried in the silence of the answer.

http://www.tacomacomputersolutions.com

Life isn't like a box of chocolate's, life is like a box of chocolate and horse bisket's and no matter which one you get you have to keep on chewing...
revstr
Frequent Bubbler

Post by revstr »

Well I made it, hope to see you all out in the water.