tolmie barge locations

This forum consists of a listing of dive sites, including directions and other essential info. Plan your dive, dive your plan.
tedward
Hi, I'm New To NWDC!

tolmie barge locations

Post by tedward »

Does anyone know where exactly the third barge is supposed to be at Tolmie park? I dove this site last Aug and found the first two barges rather quickly (the marker is tied to one of the barges and the other is only about 30ft away or so) but we couldn't find the 3rd one and there's too much conflicting data on it's location. I'm going to talk with the WA state parks dept. and see if I can go down there and set-up some guide ropes along the bottom linking all the barges together but it would be easier if I had a fix on all their locations first and I also read something about a smaller "Tire reef" there too. anyone know anything about that?
Oh, and for those thinking of diving this place, it's a great dive with lots to see, I'd reccomend diving it on a -1ft tide or lower.
I'm a newer diver looking for dive buddies to go explore puget sound and Hood Canal with. I want to do underwater photography as well. I own my own gear and have way too much free time on my hands so...
mz53480
I've Got Gills

Re: tolmie barge locations

Post by mz53480 »

tedward wrote:Does anyone know where exactly the third barge is supposed to be at Tolmie park? I dove this site last Aug and found the first two barges rather quickly (the marker is tied to one of the barges and the other is only about 30ft away or so) but we couldn't find the 3rd one and there's too much conflicting data on it's location. I'm going to talk with the WA state parks dept. and see if I can go down there and set-up some guide ropes along the bottom linking all the barges together but it would be easier if I had a fix on all their locations first and I also read something about a smaller "Tire reef" there too. anyone know anything about that?
Oh, and for those thinking of diving this place, it's a great dive with lots to see, I'd reccomend diving it on a -1ft tide or lower.
Check with Winter, she dives there quite often and may know. Good luck w/ the ropes,
MZ
...I like going to the chamber.. They have great food there, and awsome live music "H20doctor"
Check out the VIDEOS!
Winter
Dive-aholic

Post by Winter »

Third barge is rad dude!
About 60 ft on a 10 ft tide.
It's East practically, kinda NE of the first barge and North of the second.
There's a map in NW Shore dives.
Be careful, limited viz, and besides the other two barges that were sunk at the same time have collapsed.
My buddy went in there and I didn't know. He didn't know. But he luckily got out fast.
2-10 ft viz.
Oh and lots of metal to screw with your compass. Last time I just followed the tires Eastward and I found it.
http://www.winterdiverart.com/
Be not the slave of your own past ... plunge into the sublime seas, dive deep, and swim far, so you shall come back with self-respect, with new power, with an advanced experience, that shall explain and overlook the old.” -Ralph Waldo Emerson
Waynne Fowler
I've Got Gills

Post by Waynne Fowler »

From Northwest Shore Dives. Pg 313 (bold was added by me)
'swim out from the footbridge on a heading of 36 degrees toward the distant white & red can buoy.(the footbridge crosses an estuary on the beach) The shallow barge is located in 45 to 50 feet of water
To find the outer barge from the shallow barge, continue swimming out on the same 36 degree heading. You will find the outer barge in 58 to 59 feet of water, 30 feet SW from the mooring block for the white and red can buoy.
The intermediate barge lies between depths of 57 - 58 feet, about 150 feet WNW of the white and red can buoy, on a bearing of 28 degrees from the footbridge. When directly over the barge on the surface a cross bearing can be obtained of 118 degrees to an unnamed point at the east side of the bay.
Note: Depths have been adjusted for a ten foot tidal height.'

The only thing I'd add is to pay attention while entering Tolmie to make sure you kill as few sand dollars as possible.
Last edited by Waynne Fowler on Fri Apr 30, 2010 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ripper of drysuits, mocker of divers...there are no atheist divers in a mistimed Deception Pass dive. Jeremy
Mongodives
Aquaphile

Post by Mongodives »

Why no mention of the wonderfully short swim.
"we're gonna need a bigger boat" Sherriff Brody
tedward
Hi, I'm New To NWDC!

Post by tedward »

Thanks. I'm just waiting to hear back from WA state parks on if I have a "go" for putting in guide lines or not.
I'm a newer diver looking for dive buddies to go explore puget sound and Hood Canal with. I want to do underwater photography as well. I own my own gear and have way too much free time on my hands so...