Vashon Island?

This forum consists of a listing of dive sites, including directions and other essential info. Plan your dive, dive your plan.
doug7377
Avid Diver

Vashon Island?

Post by doug7377 »

hey has any one done any diving on vashon island of so where and how was it?
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Re: Vashon Island?

Post by CaptnJack »

Shore or by boat? I'm assuming Maury Island spots are ok too? Bottom line - there aren't alot of public shore access points.

There are some wrecks accessible by scooter in quartermaster harbor but its really silty. KVI is quite nice from shore but you need to time it right - low tide lets you walk out a ways, otherwise without a scooter it would be a serious undertaking swimming with potential for decent surface current. There is a fishing pier (forget the name) just south and west of KVI which is a friendly beginner site.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
doug7377
Avid Diver

Post by doug7377 »

thanks
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

If you have a kayak or other boat there's the gravel pit barges, the wreck at the mouth of quartermaster harbor and Dalco wall.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
ljjames
I've Got Gills

Post by ljjames »

In addition to KVI beach, Tramp harbor if you like bottle gardens, and the wreck of the Anna Foss if you can get access.
----
"I survived the Brittandrea Dorikulla, where's my T-shirt!"
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Tramp Harbor was the name I was trying to remember. There's a small pier fishing there.

The Anna Foss is a good dive, not sure about access points in that area either. NOAA charts online are down right now so I can't check her exact location.
boydski
Submariner

Post by boydski »

CaptnJack wrote: NOAA charts online are down right now so I can't check her exact location.
Hi Richard,

NOAA's charted position of the Anna Foss is off quite a ways. The actual position is 47° 24.171'N 122° 31.440'W.

There are a couple of wrecks just off the Dockton boat ramp that aren't too much of a swim. There's a sailboat that just sank this summer and the mast is still visible from the surface. You should be able to see it from the ramp (look NorthWest).
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

boydski wrote:
CaptnJack wrote: NOAA charts online are down right now so I can't check her exact location.
Hi Richard,

NOAA's charted position of the Anna Foss is off quite a ways. The actual position is 47° 24.171'N 122° 31.440'W.

There are a couple of wrecks just off the Dockton boat ramp that aren't too much of a swim. There's a sailboat that just sank this summer and the mast is still visible from the surface. You should be able to see it from the ramp (look NorthWest).
Actually I was just trying to remember which cove the Anna Foss was in! Looks like you're able to access the water from the west end of SW Lisabuela Rd. According to the King County assessor, Lisabuela is public right of way to the meander line (water). Bonus, the parcels around the end of Lisabuela are owned by the Vashon Park District (KC parcel #1122029037)

Its a bit of a swim or scooter from there, ~800ft roughly SSW to the Anna Foss. So amazingly, this is a do-able shore dive for Vashon-ites.
ljjames
I've Got Gills

Post by ljjames »

yes, i've actually only done her from shore... once from the public access, once from my Aunt's secretary's house which is directly inshore ;)
CaptnJack wrote:
boydski wrote:
Hi Richard,

Actually I was just trying to remember which cove the Anna Foss was in! Looks like you're able to access the water from the west end of SW Lisabuela Rd. According to the King County assessor, Lisabuela is public right of way to the meander line (water). Bonus, the parcels around the end of Lisabuela are owned by the Vashon Park District (KC parcel #1122029037)

Its a bit of a swim or scooter from there, ~800ft roughly SSW to the Anna Foss. So amazingly, this is a do-able shore dive for Vashon-ites.
----
"I survived the Brittandrea Dorikulla, where's my T-shirt!"