Lincoln Park at Fauntleroy Ferry Terminal

This forum consists of a listing of dive sites, including directions and other essential info. Plan your dive, dive your plan.
gomi_otaku
Aquaphile

Lincoln Park at Fauntleroy Ferry Terminal

Post by gomi_otaku »

Dive Site Name: Lincoln Park

Current Sensitive: Minimal
Location/Address: First parking lot north of the Fauntleroy Ferry Terminal in West Seattle

Free Parking: Yes

Staging Area: Upper parking lot, or you can drive down to the lower handicapped lot to drop or pick up gear. Paved walking path, so gear doesn't have to be dumped in the sand

Surface Swim:

Nearby Facilities: bathrooms a short distance down the paved path

Special Considerations:

Maximum Depth: 55'?

Dive Site Description: This site does not have a lot to see- we were told there was a large field of sea pens and the resulting scavengers.
If you swim straight out from the bathroom building, to about the same distance as the end of the Ferry pier, you will find the sea pen field in about 45'. Lots of bright orange sea pens in various stages, some fully deployed and others recessed into the sand.
Straight out from the property line (respect signs saying "private beachfront" there is a Pipeline, with very little else around it. We saw one Edmonds-sized Ling dart into the end of the pipe.
Closer to the Ferry dock there are a couple bundles of tires occupied by Rockfish, and the remains of a small boat. This area, since it has more structures, has more varied life, with nudibranchs, ratfish, rockfish, sculpins, etc.
Tons of golf balls everywhere, and a lot of bottles.
gomi_otaku
Aquaphile

directions to Lincoln Park

Post by gomi_otaku »

Take the West Seattle bridge from I5 or 99. Continue straight up the hill after the bridge, you will be on Fauntleroy, and will see signs every once in a while directing you to the ferry terminal. When you get closer, there will be a curbside lane for ferry traffic, I don't know if it ever gets congested enough for traffic to actually use this lane or not. Lincoln Park will be a large wooded area to your right, do not turn into the first park entrance but wait until you see a parking lot right off the street on the right. If you pass it you will next pass the ferry terminal, there is a street just beyond that is appropriate for turning around.

Parking lot is very busy with park walkers and dog owners, but is a high prowl area- a car got broken into next to me while we were diving. Leave any valuables at home, and take all your gear under water!
gomi_
gcbryan
Submariner

Post by gcbryan »

There's another dive area there called Loman Beach. It's on the other side of the private beach from Lincoln Park. There is a pipeline there as well. It's probably similar to Lincoln Park. Parking is on the street.
gomi_otaku
Aquaphile

Post by gomi_otaku »

So Loman Beach is right next to the ferry dock? I noticed there seemed to be some kind of pull-off area right before the terminal entrance. There are buoys all over the area out from the private beach area, I'm not sure what they mark. There were a couple "tire reef bundles" and some concrete blocks, lengths of rope, etc.
Being blocked by the ferry dock, it could probably be a good easy spot just like Edmonds, if only there were more structure for life to build on. It looks like someone did some once upon a time, but I'm sure regulations won't allow any kind of structure building now without major permits such as the EUWP has, not to mention a dedicated crew (of TWO!)
gomi_
gcbryan
Submariner

Post by gcbryan »

gomi_otaku wrote:So Loman Beach is right next to the ferry dock? I noticed there seemed to be some kind of pull-off area right before the terminal entrance. There are buoys all over the area out from the private beach area, I'm not sure what they mark. There were a couple "tire reef bundles" and some concrete blocks, lengths of rope, etc.
Being blocked by the ferry dock, it could probably be a good easy spot just like Edmonds, if only there were more structure for life to build on. It looks like someone did some once upon a time, but I'm sure regulations won't allow any kind of structure building now without major permits such as the EUWP has, not to mention a dedicated crew (of TWO!)
gomi_
As I remember it there is the ferry and then Lincoln Park and then the private beach and on the other side of that in a residential area is Lomen Beach.