Gig Harbor Tides Tavern

This forum consists of a listing of dive sites, including directions and other essential info. Plan your dive, dive your plan.
gomi_otaku
Aquaphile

Gig Harbor Tides Tavern

Post by gomi_otaku »

Dive Site Name: Gig Harbor Tides Tavern
Current Sensitive: not noted, is in a sheltered harbor
Location/Address: 2925 Harborview Dr Gig Harbor, WA 98335 (253) 858-3982
Directions: Downtown Gig Harbor- Take the City Center exit after crossing the Tacoma Narrows bridge on 19, turn right onto Pioneer and continue down the hill into downtown. Turn right, it is about a block on the left.
Free Parking: It is a tavern, if you dive there please only park in their lot if you plan on doing your dive debrief or dinner in the Tavern. They also have a dock if you are arriving by boat.
Staging Area: on the dock
Surface Swim: none- giant stride off the dock
Nearby Facilities: food and bathrooms at the shore end of the dock!
Maximum Depth: 20'-50'

Dive Site Description: Drop off the dock of the Tides Tavern, and explore the silty bottom where local patrons have been throwing bottles and other paraphenalia for over a century! There is a HUGE bottle field, and if you are lucky you might find a collectible (or a couple of lost cell phones, or some jewelery!) I found the largest grunt sculpin ever, and my first ruby octo here- the bottles are great for macro life. Also almost guaranteed for Pacific Spiny Lumpsuckers, I found my first here as well. The ascent up the dock piling is a nice slow exploration of macro life, take it slow!
spatman
I've Got Gills

Re: Gig Harbor Tides Tavern

Post by spatman »

we checked out this site yesterday, and the shore access is completely cut off. unless you can walk through the tavern in your gear, this one's a boat dive only these days.
boydski
Submariner

Post by boydski »

We dove the Mousquito Fleet Steamer "S.S. Burton" last Friday night, which is not far from the end of the Tides Tavern dock. It makes a great night dive! Then we tied the Mark V up to the Tides Tavern dock and had a nice dinner at the Tavern.

We could easily do the Burton and the Tides again on Friday Nights on March 27th, April 10th or April 17th if anyone is interested?
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

i would take you up on that offer, but unfortunately, there's no way i'd be able to make it on a friday... the commute from portland is a bit too far...
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

spatman wrote:we checked out this site yesterday, and the shore access is completely cut off. unless you can walk through the tavern in your gear, this one's a boat dive only these days.
Tom nic and I stopped in there once and asked them about walking through and they said, "No problem!Just stop in for lunch or something after your dive! :supz: That was assuming we would be there in the morning after they open.
I'm not sure how that would go on a Friday night dive :dontknow: You might be dealing with a few :partyman: at some point.
Hi, my name is Keith, and I'm a Dive Addict! :supz:
Burntchef
I've Got Gills

Post by Burntchef »

boydski wrote:We dove the Mousquito Fleet Steamer "S.S. Burton" last Friday night, which is not far from the end of the Tides Tavern dock. It makes a great night dive! Then we tied the Mark V up to the Tides Tavern dock and had a nice dinner at the Tavern.

We could easily do the Burton and the Tides again on Friday Nights on March 27th, April 10th or April 17th if anyone is interested?
what time would you be leaving scott? and from where. will check in with work tonight to see if iam free.
Chin high, puffed chest, we step right to it
The choice is there ain't no choice but to pursue it

"Diving the gas is the easy part, not much to it, plenty of retards are using it safely. " jamieZ
boydski
Submariner

Post by boydski »

Burntchef wrote: what time would you be leaving scott? and from where. will check in with work tonight to see if iam free.
Last time we departed from the Point Defiance Boat Ramp at 6 PM, which worked out very well. Traffic can be a little tough on Fridays. :blah: