Point Glover

This forum consists of a listing of dive sites, including directions and other essential info. Plan your dive, dive your plan.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Point Glover

Post by CaptnJack »

Lauri, Melody and I did this one on Dec31st, 2010.

Dive Site Name: Point Glover, Rich Passage
Skill Level: Intermediate due to currents
Current Sensitive: Yes, you want slack before ebb. Current station name is "Rich Passage, East End"
Location/Address: from Shore Manchester State Park (also by boat)
http://www.parks.wa.gov/parks/?selectedpark=Manchester
Directions: Fauntleroy-Southworth ferry gets you here from Seattle. Or Mile Hill Drive from Port Orchard
Free Parking: Yes
Staging Area: Good
Surface Swim: from shore you need a scooter. By boat probably best done as a drift
Nearby Facilities: Bathrooms, no food
Special Considerations: Park closes at dusk
Maximum Depth: 75ft. Good stuff in the 20-60ft range. Until you find the reef stay 50ft or a little shallower
Known Hazards: Ripping currents and the Bremerton ferry! Stay close to shore and don't end up surfacing in Rich Passage.
Dive Site Description: This is a rocky/slabby reef which extends downslope along the west side of Rich Passage. If you enter at the unnamed Bay on the north side of Manchester State Park your scooter track is basically magnetic north. Here's a sketch:

Note that depths shown are in feet, so don't go deeper than 70ft or you'll end up under the Bremerton Ferry. Best to head north at about 40ft on a slack before ebb. Once you hit the reef drop down to max 65ft or so. Then come up and drift or scooter really really fast magnetic south at 30ft. Its a fun tour. We used doubles due to the "unknown" but a single hp130 or 100 would be more fun. Round trip took us a little less than an hour.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
ldevore
Compulsive Diver

Re: Point Glover

Post by ldevore »

A nice little dive! Thanks for doing the planning and research on it.

Lauri