Cove 2 - Alki (Seacrest)

This forum consists of a listing of dive sites, including directions and other essential info. Plan your dive, dive your plan.
sparky
I've Got Gills

Re: Cove 2 Map

Post by sparky » Sun Jun 04, 2006 8:50 pm

Kirby wrote:Happened to notice the third set of pier logs is missing, parallel to the left hand line at the base of the set that goes off at a 90 degree to the line. Also the rock pile to the left of the base of the I beams is missing, usually a good spot to check at night. Row boat is essentially gone now, rotted away.
Very nice detail. I have seen several versions of site maps and this is the best so far.

Thank you kirby I dont rember where I got it from but I do try to kep a good map of the dive sites I dive if I can find one.

Sparky
A Smart Man
Learns from his mistakes

A Wise Man
Learns from the mistakes of those that have gone before him

Kirby
Aquaphile

Cove 2 Map

Post by Kirby » Sun Jun 04, 2006 6:33 pm

Happened to notice the third set of pier logs is missing, parallel to the left hand line at the base of the set that goes off at a 90 degree to the line. Also the rock pile to the left of the base of the I beams is missing, usually a good spot to check at night. Row boat is essentially gone now, rotted away.
Very nice detail. I have seen several versions of site maps and this is the best so far.
Hi, My name is Kirby, and I am addicted to Nitrogen Narcosis.

Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Sighting Octopus @ Cove 2

Post by Tangfish » Mon May 08, 2006 12:41 pm

Here's an example of a juvenile octopus one might find at Cove 2:

Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Cove 2 - Alki (Seacrest)

Post by Tangfish » Mon May 08, 2006 12:29 pm

Dive Site Name: Cove 2

Current Sensitive: No

Location/Address: 1660 Harbor Ave SW, Seattle, WA - West Seattle

Directions:
1. Take the I-90 W ramp to Seattle - go 6.7 mi
2. Take the I-5 S exit 2B to Tacoma/Portland - go 1.3 mi
3. Take the W Seattle Br exit 163A - go 0.5 mi
4. Continue on West Seattle Brg - go 1.9 mi
5. Take the Harbor Ave ramp - go 0.3 mi
6. Turn right at Harbor Ave SW - go 1.3 mi

Free Parking: Yes - Park on the shoulder or in the parking lot of the Alki Crab & Fish Co. (restaurant parking may be restricted during restaurant hours in summer/high season).

Staging Area: Good - some benches and grassy areas. Short walk to the water from the car.

Surface Swim: Short

Nearby Facilities: Public bathrooms, water fountains, food, fresh water rinsing station and shower.

Special Considerations: Weekends are very busy with classes.

Maximum Depth: I-Beams ~ 100fsw; Honey Bear ~ 40fsw; Cove 2 to 3 ~ 90fsw

Dive Site Description: The main attractions of this dive site are the “Honey Bear” wreck and the I-Beams. A typical route would be heading down from the tall skinny white buoy and following the ropes down toward the I-Beams (like those used in constructing large buildings), these are at about 90-100?. After perusing the beams, you can head back up the line and take a left at around 45fsw or so to find the Honey Bear wreck, a small sunken boat that sometimes houses an octopus or two. As an alternative, you can do a dive from Cove 2 to Cove 3 which is rather interesting, but you have to be careful not to get into the fishing zone, for fear of giving a local fisherman his catch of a lifetime.

Wednesday night club dives are typically held here. There aren’t that many divers around stirring things up and you’re likely to see a group of seals that zip along using your dive torch to find food. It’s quite fun and these seals even surface with you and bark at you begging you to come back and play. (via CalvinTang.com)
Last edited by Tangfish on Sat May 13, 2006 10:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.