Lobster Shop Wall

This forum consists of a listing of dive sites, including directions and other essential info. Plan your dive, dive your plan.
Kirby
Aquaphile

Lobster Shop Wall

Post by Kirby »

Dive Site Name: Lobster Shop Wall AKA Deadman's Wall

Current Sensitive: No, but there can be current on big exchange days. I have never cancelled due to current, but it can be a hard swim.

Location/Address: Wall is located on Ruston Way in Tacoma directly behind the Lobster Shop Restaurant.

Directions: Park in parking lot just past the Lobster shop on Ruston Way at the new building on the far N end of the lot.

Free Parking: Yes

Staging Area: Good.

Surface Swim: Medium to direct descent, I do this dive from entry point

Nearby Facilities: Closest bathroom at Les Davis Pier

Special Considerations: AKA deadmans wall for good reason. Diver lost here last November and never found. Deep dive, current can be difficult on big exchange days.

Maximum Depth: Top of the wall is at 80-90 feet, then 30 ft vertical drop at center of wall, 20 ft vertical at ends. Steep slope below that to greater than 300 ft.

Dive Site Description: Mud/Clay wall with vertical drop. No big dens but lots of clam holes and cracks where the clay deposits are found. Great place to find stubby squid and large prawns. Have seen wolf eels and GPO, but none lately. Check the bottle field at 40 ft for red octo. Nice junk field at 15-20 ft in from far end of wall below restaurant.

Sandy ramp entry to beach just N of parking lot. Surface swim to South corner of New office building towards Les Davis, then go straight out 30 degrees, this should get you to the N end of true wall. If you hit a slope at 90 plus feet, go to the right.
Hi, My name is Kirby, and I am addicted to Nitrogen Narcosis.
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Re: Lobster Shop Wall

Post by Joshua Smith »

Kirby wrote:
Special Considerations: AKA deadmans wall for good reason. Diver lost here last November and never found.

Wow- Just went back and looked at this sight listing. Guess you could update this part, seeing as you apparently found the body.

Are you the same Kirby that took Advanced Eanx and Deco with me from Mel Clark back in January?
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
Sea of Green

Post by Sea of Green »

A reliable source told me that it was someone named Kirby who found the body, not sure if it's the same guy.
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

Sea of Green wrote:A reliable source told me that it was someone named Kirby who found the body, not sure if it's the same guy.

Yep, it was Kirby alright:

http://www.nwdiveclub.com/viewtopic.php?t=2573

I'm almost positive this is the same Kirby I took adv. Nitrox/ Deco with last January.
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
Kirby
Aquaphile

Lobster Shop Wall

Post by Kirby »

Found a nice angel shrine on the wall tonight on a clay shelf, assume it is a memorial to Chad. Very nice place to reflect.
Hi, My name is Kirby, and I am addicted to Nitrogen Narcosis.
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

Kirby wrote:Found a nice angel shrine on the wall tonight on a clay shelf, assume it is a memorial to Chad. Very nice place to reflect.
I noticed that on Monday ... wondered if that's why it was there.

Also noticed a buddha statue a little further "south" along the top of the wall ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Chevayea
Compulsive Diver

Post by Chevayea »

I just dove here last Saturday. There's not a lot of life on the wall outside of shrimp and countless gunnels but the wall is an impressive sight. Easy to find too. Angels are still there but I didn't see the Budah. I'll have to look harder next time.
Cwest
Avid Diver

Post by Cwest »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9CuXvc4OSmU

trying something new:
A kind of video dive site review.
let me know what you think
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Nice Video! Because of narrow bandwidth I don't usually take the time to download and watch videos - I'm glad I did here.

So much for "not much life"! Scenery on a mud wall isn't much to look at, but there was lots of life on that dive!
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
Aquadoc
Frequent Bubbler

Post by Aquadoc »

NICE VID I am really surprised at the clarity of the water is that a good day?? What was ur dive profile like I saw a lota jugs on one guy. I am not a techie so I could not tell. Can't wait to get in up here
Doc
Cowards never start...The weak never finish Less than 1% enough said.
For every beautiful woman out there, there is a man completely fed up with her sh#!1!