Mercer Island Underwater Forest

This forum consists of a listing of dive sites, including directions and other essential info. Plan your dive, dive your plan.
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Re: Mercer Island Underwater Forest

Post by Joshua Smith »

ORDiver wrote:
Nwbrewer wrote:
ORDiver wrote:I love almost live! As a native Auburnite I sadly am not allowed on Mercer Island either and will probably never be able to dive this site from shore.
I'd say it's best done as a dive after having done something cool in the lake, when you still have some gas in the tanks and are already on the boat with nothing better to do.... Like 100' rock.

Yeah, I would agree after that dsecription of how to get down to the water. I'll have to check with the Mercer Island PD and make sure that the site is not too close to shore. They may have some sort of off shore perimeter around the island that native southender's can't enter. I did move away from Auburn 20 years ago though. Maybe that clears me.

Seriously though, I would like to check this out. A creepy, ancient underwater forest sounds intriguing to me. I'd be willing to bring the boat up and hit another site and then this one.

There's one in Lake Cushman. Lot closer to PDX.
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
ORDiver
Aquanaut

Post by ORDiver »

Mortuus wrote:Theres always the PBM Mariner for a first dive. I havent dove it, but it sounds like the PBM followed by the underwater forest would make for a pretty cool day
I've dove the PBM once. It is a nice dive. I'd be up for that and the sunken forest. Just need to figure out a day.
ORDiver
Aquanaut

Post by ORDiver »

Joshua Smith wrote: There's one in Lake Cushman. Lot closer to PDX.
That's right, I forgot about that one. There's also the mysterious sunken motel that may have burned to the ground and may be at 200' but may be shallower:

http://www.nwdiveclub.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=3435

Sounds like a worthwhile day of diving / searching.
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

ORDiver wrote:
Joshua Smith wrote: There's one in Lake Cushman. Lot closer to PDX.
That's right, I forgot about that one. There's also the mysterious sunken motel that may have burned to the ground and may be at 200' but may be shallower:

http://www.nwdiveclub.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=3435

Sounds like a worthwhile day of diving / searching.
My same friends who got busted on MI did a series of dives looking for that, which confused me, since it is documented that the hotel was burned to the ground. I couldn't figure out what, exactly, they hoped to find. Anyway, they found a stump with a sickle stuck in it. Which is sort of cool, I guess. They also found the sunken forest. Which is also kind of neat. But not worth the drive, for me.
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."