Salt Water State Park

This forum consists of a listing of dive sites, including directions and other essential info. Plan your dive, dive your plan.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Re: Salt Water State Park

Post by CaptnJack »

There is no current station. You aim for high tide on a small exchange day. Low tide is a BRUTAL walk. So splash roughly an hour or 45mins before high tide on a <8ft exchange kind of day with minimal SW wind. Exit 30mins after high tide (roughly). Large ebbs are to be avoided. Small floods are ok except you want to get in fairly late to avoid the long rocky walk anyway. A SW wind will create a large fairly extreme ebb (North-ish) current with nasty waves.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
YellowEye
I've Got Gills

Post by YellowEye »

Thanks, so looks like tomorrow's morning high-tide exchange may be barely doable?

http://www.dairiki.org/tides/daily.php/sea/2015-12-31
Visit pnwdiving.com for viz reports, slack planning, galleries and more!
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

I don't understand why people keep using dairiki but yes. Its a modest to bigger ebb tomorrow morning. You could splash at about 8:30 and exit at 9:45.

The official Des Moines substation data is here:
http://tidesandcurrents.noaa.gov/noaati ... id=9446248
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
Gdog
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Gdog »

I guess I don't understand what is wrong with dairiki. For an easy reference it seems good. Educate me CaptnJack!
ohopdiver
Aquaphile

Post by ohopdiver »

Get a copy of Tidal Currents Of Puget Sound by Starpath Pubs. It has NOAA Current charts and Tide Prints.
Tide Prints tell you the crazy directions the current at this site take and is based on Seattle tides making it easy.
The Current Charts say this area is weak or variable for all tides. That means it's not predictable based on the Narrows North end current as the rest of south Sound is. Admiralty Inlet is not used for this area. You're only going to swim 900 feet at the highest tide. Rock boots are nice at low tide. I'm a member of the geezer club and swum it many times including last weekend.
Gdog
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Gdog »

Wow. This is an old thread I somehow fell into thinking it was current. Sorry to resurrect it!