Richmond Beach Park, Shoreline WA 98133

This forum consists of a listing of dive sites, including directions and other essential info. Plan your dive, dive your plan.
crowplus
Just Settling In

Richmond Beach Park, Shoreline WA 98133

Post by crowplus »

This is an interesting site, but nothing out of the ordinary in terms of features or life. From the parking lot it is approximately 125-yard hilly walk to the rocky shoreline entry. From a boat, it could a nice complement to a nearby Boeing Creek dive.

Richmond Beach Park
2101 Northwest 190th Street, Shoreline, WA 98177
N47o 45.8’ W122o 23.1’

Suggested Dive Plan:
Directly out from the Picnic Shelter set compass heading at 230 degrees. A Debris field begins at around 20 fsw and continues intermittently out to 35 fsw. At approximately 45 fsw there are sections of a cinderblock and rope trail and portions of partially covered large anchor chain. Alter direction to a 260 degree heading and continue out to 57-60 fsw where there are large concrete anchor blocks and more chain. Return along a 50 degree heading and do a 15ft safety stop, perhaps moving SE ~100 ft to explore a metal debris field. In the past, divers have reported a large steel propeller in the general area of this dive, but the location has not been confirmed. Currents can be substantial here; usually best to dive on the slack. (Note that all map depths are for a reference tidal stage of 10 ft).

Species List
Fish: Brown rockfish, Copper rockfish, Quillback rockfish, Cabezon, Grunt sculpin, Great sculpin, Unidentified small sculpins, White spotted greenling, Tube snout, CO sole, Unidentified flatfish. Spotted Ratfish Invertebrates: Sand star, Spiny red sea star, Spiny pink sea star, Mottled star, Sunflower star, Orange sea pen, Dungeness crab, Red rock crab, Hermit crab, Columbia sand (or sand rose) anemone, Stubby rose anemone, Tube dwelling anemone, Plumose anemone, California sea cucumber, Orange sea cucumber, Spiny-headed/stalked-hairy tunicate.

EMS: Dial 911. Best to bring a cell phone since there is no pay phone in the park.
Decompression Chamber: Virginia Mason Hospital, 1100 Ninth Avenue, Seattle, WA 98101 206 583 6543

Getting There:
From Interstate 5 and 175th St (Exit 176)
1. At NE 175TH ST and Interstate 5 go 0.8 mi East on NE 175th St.
2. Turn right on AURORA AVE N(WA-99) go 0.5 mi
3. Turn left on N 185TH ST go 0.3 mi
4. Continue on N RICHMOND BEACH RD go 1.4 mi
5. Continue on NW 195TH ST go 0.3 mi
6. Turn left at four way stop at 20TH AVE NW.
10. Continue South on 20TH AVE NW to Park entrance.
12. Arrive at Richmond Beach Park. Enter park and go down hill to main lot.
Attachments
Richmond Beach map 1.pdf
(127.32 KiB) Downloaded 195 times
Jeremy
I've Got Gills

Re: Richmond Beach Park, Shoreline WA 98133

Post by Jeremy »

I just did this site and only saw sand. I wish I had seen your map first!

Maybe I'll hit it again now.

Or...pull a Laura James and walk down to Boeing Creek Reef from Richmond Beach. :supz: :supz:
renoun
I've Got Gills

Re: Richmond Beach Park, Shoreline WA 98133

Post by renoun »

The description in Northwest Shore Dives begins "This is a dive to enjoy with friends for the pleasure of getting wet" and in my opinion that accurately describes the site.

Since I have moved to the neighborhood recently I've learned much more about the history of the area around Richmond Beach and Pt. Wells. Historically the park was a gravel pit and as sand was washed out of the gravel the sand accumulated downhill at the current beach area before being redistributed by winter storms. My understanding is that while the gravel pit was operating there usually was a large sandy beach between the park and Point Wells such that the modern shoreline is probably different from historical maps and photos. There was also a period of time when the park area was used for ship breaking and wooden vessels were burned on the beach so that metal could be salvaged which accounts for some of the mapped derbies. I have also read that there was a second oil pier South the current oil terminal between it and Point Wells which might warrant exploration if one was in the area with a side-scan sonar equipped boat.

I can't direct people to good online history resources but the King Co. Library System has several copies of Memories of Richmond Beach : Ralph Einar Thomsen's recollections of small-town life on Puget Sound in the 1920s - 1940s by Ralph E. Thomsen.

I used to windsurf at Richmond Beach fairly frequently in the past and am familiar with schlepping gear down the slope. Last summer I made one rather disappointing dive there. I had hoped to find a place closer than Mukelto to go crabbing but didn't have much luck. I didn't find many crab in the eel grass and deeper I found lots of sand populated by the occasional plumose anemone attached to a discarded beer bottle. I did find unidentifiable metal debris in the shallows that I assume where relics of the ship-breaking activities and were home to the typical critters one would find near a beach.

The hike back up from the beach with your gear will definitely cause a fair amount of exertion. If you dive here I'd defiantly recommend giving a thought an extra level of conservatism with deco/NDL's and a rest period before heading up the hill. The path down will defiantly accommodate a kids wagon, nursery cart, or other wheeled transport for your gear. If you have an emergency there the Shoreline PD can access the 4WD utility vehicle which is garaged at the caretaker's house just inside the park entrance to transport rescuers/victims to and from the beach.

Finally if one is visiting Richmond Beach Park there is a lovely neighborhood pub in the residential area at the bottom of the hill with a a good set of taps, a limited but tasty menu, a nice patio, a free pool table, and a piano. The Cabin Tavern is at 19322 Richmond Beach Dr NW, just turn Left at the stop sign at 195th as you leave the park and head down the hill. If you live nearby there is a jamb session on Tuesday nights where some regulars get together to play folk and rock covers on acoustic instruments.
"Just to be clear, doing the Diamond Knot requires at the minimum double IPAs to be DIR." - MattleyCrue
"Mmmm....... Oreos!
They didn't look too good when I was spitting in my mask for dive #2!" - cardiver