Trailer friendly dive sites

This forum consists of a listing of dive sites, including directions and other essential info. Plan your dive, dive your plan.
Nwcid
Extreme Diving Machine

Trailer friendly dive sites

Post by Nwcid »

When we make it over to the west side for diving we usually bring our "cargo" trailer as it houses all our gear, heater, wash down station, ect.

We dive Redondo and Alki (if we get up early) a lot because there is easy parking. Not that these are bad spots, but we would like to explore some other places.

I am about 55' in overall length (not small), so thinking of places that might have parking for large boat trailers. We dive all year and I know some of the locations are way more popular in the summer then winter.
John

Check out my site, http://scubadivesites.webs.com/
Desert Diver
Extreme Diving Machine

Re: Trailer friendly dive sites

Post by Desert Diver »

Keystone would be one
bradmond
Submariner

Post by bradmond »

Saltwater St Park might work for ya
Nwcid
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by Nwcid »

We took the motorcycles down to Saltwater last summer to check it out for a dive site. I could not figure out where to dive from. All we could see was a very large stretch of tidal plane that did not appear to ever get deep.
John

Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeff Pack »

Point Whitney, octopus hole if you are the only one, flagpole up top, Glenn Ayr,
=============================================

- I got a good squirt in my mouth
- I would imagine that there would be a large amount of involuntary gagging
- I don't know about you but I'm not into swallowing it

CCR discussion on Caustic Cocktails.
bradmond
Submariner

Re: RE: Re: Trailer friendly dive sites

Post by bradmond »

Nwcid wrote:We took the motorcycles down to Saltwater last summer to check it out for a dive site. I could not figure out where to dive from. All we could see was a very large stretch of tidal plane that did not appear to ever get deep.
surface swim to one of the three buoys, there are rock piles below them to explore, and then follow the bottom back to shore.
Nwcid
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by Nwcid »

bradmond wrote:
Nwcid wrote:We took the motorcycles down to Saltwater last summer to check it out for a dive site. I could not figure out where to dive from. All we could see was a very large stretch of tidal plane that did not appear to ever get deep.
surface swim to one of the three buoys, there are rock piles below them to explore, and then follow the bottom back to shore.
So I assume you mean swim once you get past the large flat area? Again the day we were there, from the parking lot it appeared to be pushing 100 yards to the water. Even with the tide up it would appear it is only a couple of feet deep, not enough to swim. Does it get deeper, or is there specific spot to enter?
John

Nwcid
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by Nwcid »

Thanks for the replies. Some of those spots look very promising.
John

Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeff Pack »

Nwcid wrote:
bradmond wrote:
So I assume you mean swim once you get past the large flat area? Again the day we were there, from the parking lot it appeared to be pushing 100 yards to the water. Even with the tide up it would appear it is only a couple of feet deep, not enough to swim. Does it get deeper, or is there specific spot to enter?
wade out until you can surface swim. that might be a ways out there.
=============================================

- I got a good squirt in my mouth
- I would imagine that there would be a large amount of involuntary gagging
- I don't know about you but I'm not into swallowing it

CCR discussion on Caustic Cocktails.
mpenders
Submariner

Post by mpenders »

Here's a map of Saltwater, drawn up soon after the artificial reef was completed. There is quite a surface swim out to the reef (or hike...or hike plus swim...). I really enjoy diving this site, but it's best to avoid big exchanges. One ill-timed dive at this site was all the incentive I needed to learn how to read a tide chart.

Note that the buoys shown on the map are not accurate to where they are actually located today. One of the current buoys (the closest to shore) is located just north of the south reef, in about 45fsw. I believe there is a second buoy attached to the middle reef. I thought both of these were WSA mooring buoys...but I don't see them mentioned on the WSA site. I think there is a third buoy located north of the north reef, marking the marine preserve boundary.
Saltwater State Park.pdf
(410.6 KiB) Downloaded 262 times
-
Gdog
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Gdog »

There is a long surface swim for sure. But if you watch the currents this dive is well worth the effort.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Salt Creek is trailer friendly, a summer only site though.
Street parking and use a dolly to haul your gear down the sidewalk to Edmonds.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
mpenders
Submariner

Post by mpenders »

CaptnJack wrote:Salt Creek is trailer friendly, a summer only site though.
Are you basing this on weather/conditions, or access? Camping is summer only, but I'm pretty sure day-use is available year-round.
Nwcid
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by Nwcid »

Sounds like a couple of these sites sounds like I just need to put my ATV in the trailer too and run the gear to the water that way.
John

CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

mpenders wrote:
Are you basing this on weather/conditions, or access? Camping is summer only, but I'm pretty sure day-use is available year-round.
Just seems like a very long way to drive for iffy weather/swell. Also not 24 hrs access and days are short in winter. Shoot I'm in port orchard and won't bother to drive all the way out there in winter. There are more reliable sites for off season access.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
60south
Pelagic

Post by 60south »

Fort Worden has campsites and diving, all in one. Point Hudson diving is down the street but not really trailer friendly.
mpenders
Submariner

Post by mpenders »

CaptnJack wrote:
mpenders wrote:
Just seems like a very long way to drive for iffy weather/swell. Also not 24 hrs access and days are short in winter. Shoot I'm in port orchard and won't bother to drive all the way out there in winter. There are more reliable sites for off season access.
Gotcha. True, the weather can bring challenging conditions at SW. Good thing Plan B (aka: The Dond) is only 5 min away. We've had to make that same call during the summer months when a good wind is bringing the rollers at SW.

Multiple dives including both sites is also do-able, especially during the winter months when a second dive might be near/after dusk. It would meet the criteria the OP is looking for.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Lake Cresent is another 30 mins down the road but parking at Sledgehammer would be ok in the winter. Possible in the summer if you're lucky but annoying.
60south
Pelagic

Post by 60south »

CaptnJack wrote:Lake Cresent is another 30 mins down the road but parking at Sledgehammer would be ok in the winter. Possible in the summer if you're lucky but annoying.
Bovee's Meadow at Lake Crescent would be another good one with trailer-friendly parking. East Beach has good parking but I wouldn't want to take a long trailer down that road.
Nwcid
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by Nwcid »

Thanks for all the replies so far. Giving us some great ideas.
John

mpenders
Submariner

Post by mpenders »

mpenders wrote:
CaptnJack wrote:
mpenders wrote:
Gotcha. True, the weather can bring challenging conditions at SW. Good thing Plan B (aka: The Dond) is only 5 min away. We've had to make that same call during the summer months when a good wind is bringing the rollers at SW.

Multiple dives including both sites is also do-able, especially during the winter months when a second dive might be near/after dusk. It would meet the criteria the OP is looking for.
Just realized I'm an idiot. Salt Creek, not Saltwater. You're right, heck of a drive in the winter when conditions are are a toss up.

Carry on.