Sekiu

This forum consists of a listing of dive sites, including directions and other essential info. Plan your dive, dive your plan.
gcbryan
Submariner

Sekiu

Post by gcbryan »

Dive Site Name: Commonly referred to as Sekiu Jetty but it's actually the boulders west of the jetty at Olson's Marina in Sekiu, WA.

Skill Level: Intermediate only due to kelp and ocassional surge

Current Sensitive: No.

Location/Address: Olson's Marina, Sekiu,WA.

Directions: Go to Port Angeles and follow the signs west

Free Parking: Yes

Staging Area: Average

Surface Swim: Medium

Nearby Facilities: Bathroom on site.

Special Considerations: Kelp, Surge sometimes

Maximum Depth: 30 fsw

Dive Site Description: Many large boulders just to the west of the jetty at Olsons Marina. Park near the crane and get in at the small beach and head for the kelp (which is attached to the many large boulders). There is current only if you get past the boulders. Don't go that far. The boulders are covered with life including sponge, large anemone's, Puget Sound Crab, schools of Black and Blue Rockfish. Extremely large Rock Scallops are here. I've seen China Rockfish along with GPO's and once I saw a Wolf Eel.

This is the best and most colorful shallow shore dive in the state.
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Thanks for posting this. I wonder about a shore dive "tour" of the area... Port Angeles, Crescent Lake, etc. been thinking about it for awhile.
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
gcbryan
Submariner

Post by gcbryan »

Tom Nic wrote:Thanks for posting this. I wonder about a shore dive "tour" of the area... Port Angeles, Crescent Lake, etc. been thinking about it for awhile.
It's an excellent trip as described and can be done as a day trip. Start with Salt Creek (Tongue Point is the easiest to me), drive to Sekiu for the next dive, and wash everything off with a dive in Lake Crescent on the way back.
Seth T.
Amphibian

Post by Seth T. »

Great, another dive to add to the list! \:D/
Seth T.
PADI Master Diver
http://www.sethtower.com

Ratfish piss me off.
cardiver
I've Got Gills

Post by cardiver »

Lets see....I have 3 tanks and those 3 dives sound good to me. Maybe a Thursday road trip, Tom and Brian?????
-Ron T.
"When I'm 80 I'll take up real diving, which is done in a pub..." Ray Ives.
253-227-0856
My Dive Pics...
https://www.facebook.com/RETOPPPHOTOGRAPHY
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

cardiver wrote:Lets see....I have 3 tanks and those 3 dives sound good to me. Maybe a Thursday road trip, Tom and Brian?????
I am SO IN!

Let me talk to BnBOLY... we're doing Sund Rock this Thursday, but we're diving most every Thursday and Friday so this looks like a definite DO in the not so distant future!!
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Re: Sekiu

Post by Tom Nic »

This is a wonderful dive, and a species rich dive site.

One factor that has not been mentioned above should be considered....

I thought that I would mention that sometimes the exit can be difficult because the "gravel" that you walk in and out of the water on can be REALLY difficult to negotiate under certain tidal conditions, i.e. every step up on the shore you make you sink 8 inches into the gravel and slide backwards. I had a dive or two here where I could not have made it out with my gear without leaning on a dive buddy and "helping" each other up the slope.

And as usual, if you are young, buff, have a ton of core and leg strength you will walk right up with no problem.

But fortunately, not all scuba divers are required to fit that description. :rawlings: :axe:
gcbryan
Submariner

Post by gcbryan »

Haha...that has happened to me a couple of times as well so I know what you are talking about.

I don't think it's bad enough for someone to avoid the site for this reason however. :) It is annoying sometimes though.

I'm not very objective however as I love this site!
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

gcbryan wrote:Haha...that has happened to me a couple of times as well so I know what you are talking about.

I don't think it's bad enough for someone to avoid the site for this reason however. :) It is annoying sometimes though.

I'm not very objective however as I love this site!
I love this site too!

And I would never avoid the site for that reason - I just discovered that I have to take that into account when I'm diving it, particularly if I'm diving it solo. The more of that pebble beach that is exposed, the tougher that exit can be! I underestimated it once and it seriously kicked my butt... :angry:

I need to do the Salt Creek, Sekiu Jetty, then Lake Crescent trilogy this Winter!
YellowEye
I've Got Gills

Post by YellowEye »

Hi!
H2oDoc mentioned that he ran into some severe current there sometime back... so do watch the conditions.

I will have to check this site out again, its been too long! You eye'ing it Tom? Maybe if we do a camping trip to Salt Creek, we can hit this on the same trip.

Hi Gray! :) This is your old buddy Eric
Visit pnwdiving.com for viz reports, slack planning, galleries and more!
gcbryan
Submariner

Post by gcbryan »

Hey Eric!

Current isn't an issue at Seiku as long as you stay in among the rocks and there is no reason to go outside of the rocks as there is nothing to see except sand! :)

However, if you do, for whatever reason, move outside of the rocks then there can be a lot of current (which is why everything grows so big at Sekiu).

If you are going to do this then consider this a current site and plan accordingly. If you are not then you can go and dive at all time without regard for current.
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

YellowEye wrote:Hi!
H2oDoc mentioned that he ran into some severe current there sometime back... so do watch the conditions.

I will have to check this site out again, its been too long! You eye'ing it Tom? Maybe if we do a camping trip to Salt Creek, we can hit this on the same trip.

Hi Gray! :) This is your old buddy Eric
Yeah, unless you dive it on a huge exchange at max ebb or flood you should be able to stay out of trouble.

My preference is near high tide, (for the above mentioned exit challenges) and if I can do it near slack I will. You have to bring a shovel to get below 30 fsw, so a low low tide you're diving in 15-20 fsw, and high tide might be a hair better viz wise, but it's a life filled awesome dive regardless.

And yes, Eric, I'm eyeying it! I suppose I might think twice about doing it in stormy / windy conditions just because stirred up water and 5' viz isn't the funnest, but that's true about any dive site. I'm guessing that if Salt Creek is doable then Sekiu would be great as well.
ohopdiver
Aquaphile

Post by ohopdiver »

I can't imagine going to Sekiu without diving my favorite - Hoko Reef. Of course you have to have a boat (3 miles from Sekiu) or scooter (.2 miles from Kydaka point).