Fox Island East Wall

This forum consists of a listing of dive sites, including directions and other essential info. Plan your dive, dive your plan.
Chevayea
Compulsive Diver

Fox Island East Wall

Post by Chevayea »

Fox Island East Wall

Skill Level: Advanced due to current.

Current Sensitive: Very much so. From our experience, slack is about an hour BEFORE slack at the Tacoma Narrows Bridge. There isn’t much to hide behind when the current picks up. However, they are not “waterfalling” currents so you can get up the wall. Plan your dive to head into the current so that when it picks up you can drift back.

Location/Address: Ozette Dr, Fox Island. From the park you can see the Tacoma Narrows to your left.

Directions: Google Map to Fox Island East Wall. The park can be a bit tricky to find so map it well. Once at this site, walk around the right side of the restrooms to a trail that runs down to the water along a fence. DO NOT TAKE THE PAVED PATH - that leads to the pier and it has no beach access. It is a long walk back up with gear so learn from my mistake and take the trail. There is a little bit of a walk down to the water from the parking lot but the entry is easy from there. No surface swim is required and the top of the main wall starts about 15ft below the surface.

Free Parking: Yes, and there is usually plenty of parking.

Staging Area: Good. There is plenty of room to sprawl out your gear.

Surface Swim: No surface swim to speak of but you do have to walk a couple hundred yards down a steep trail to get to the water. It is doable, just take it slow.

Nearby Facilities: There are bathrooms and open showers available on site.

Special Considerations: Park closes 1 hour after sunset. Watch that current and plan accordingly.

Maximum Depth: The top of the wall is in 10-15’ and drops to 45’ to 70’ deep, depending on where you are at. There isn’t much to see below that point except for a few shelves but the best part is the wall.

Dive Site Description: This is a GREAT wall dive, unique in that it is covered with life and is close to shore. There most dramatic main wall directly out from the end of the trail. Just drop in and swim. You'll find the top of the wall very close to shore in about 15ftsw. The bottom is really only about 45ft down at this spot and can range to 70 at the deepest. If you follow the wall until it runs out all the way to the south, keep going and head a little deeper to find another southern wall. There are some shelves and another wall north of the pier too. Swim directly out from the large boulder on the beach to about 20ftsw and work your way north (left) along the shelves. They will lead you to the northern most wall. Expect to see LOTS of sculpin, gunnels, war bonnets, rock fish, red irish lords, various greenling varieties, and Giant Pacific Octopus. Above the wall you’ll find boulders and kelp with the usual variety of creatures hanging out, including kelp and white spotted greenlings (especially above the northern most wall). Beyond the bottom of the wall, the bottom slopes downward and is mostly cobble and shells. There are a few shelves to explore, but not nearly as neat as the walls.

See photos and reviews at <A href="http://www.theperfectdive.com/DEF-Site.asp?sID=5" target='_blank'>ThePerfectDive.com</A>.
Chevayea
Compulsive Diver

Post by Chevayea »

Has anyone been to Fox Island East Wall that would like to add their comments? It's one of my favorite dive sites, simply because the wall has way more life than many other popular walls in the area. Point Defiance North is good too but Fox Island is accessible by shore. Always a winner in my book.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Save yourselves the brutal slog and use a boat :) Like Sunrise, its much better as a boat dive. Last time I was here from shore they were trying to charge for parking. Its was only a couple dollars but the boat ramp over by the Fox Island bridge is free and those couple bucks can go towards gas.
Chevayea
Compulsive Diver

Post by Chevayea »

I went several times this summer and there was no charge for parking so maybe they ended it.

The walk isn't terrible. People made it seem much worse than it really was once we got there. That said, it would be great from a boat if you have access but if not...its worth the walk IMO.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

That's good, charging to use that lot was kinda dumb. Its not like you had to keep moving people along in the city or something. I guess they were taking after WA ST. Parks there for a couple years.

The sandstone reminds me of Dalco, although not so vertical. Worth doing esp. if it took some people pressure off the hubub at Day Island Wall.
kjc
Aquaphile

Kayak Dive I Tell Ya....

Post by kjc »

The paddle from Fox Island Bridge is effortless, and if you time it right, its not a paddle but a ride!

You don't need a boat and you don't need to know people who wax pathetic about them or people who slog or anything...

You can launch and ride the current there and dive at slack and lunch on the beach and ride the current back without a sound.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Kevin since when is a kayak, "not a boat"? :partyman:
kjc
Aquaphile

CaptnJack'er....?

Post by kjc »

CaptnJack wrote:Kevin since when is a kayak, "not a boat"? :partyman:
By defination!

A boat is a boat!

A kayak is a kayak!

They are seperate, and distinct in the annals of nautical lexicon!

Besides, I consider my kayak to be just a dive accessory....

I think you consider your boat to be your rubber lover.

....how do you make these stupid smiley thingies work?

<BR> <BR> <BR>....

...nope! They no work!

Admin????
Chevayea
Compulsive Diver

Post by Chevayea »

Rubber lovers aside, its still not that bad of a walk. :-)
kjc
Aquaphile

Walk Smaulk....

Post by kjc »

Chevayea wrote:Rubber lovers aside, its still not that bad of a walk. :-)
Rookie!

Backinmyday26yearsagoaakaakaak....

The colio thing to do was go to a Thrift Store and buy one of those 2 wheel golf cart thingies and modify it with just the right type of cut up bucket to carry all of your stuff in for long hikes like the Fox Island East Wall.

The long handle tow behind works mo betta then a wheel barrel or a red wagon, it folds up to fit and is cheap!

I still have mine!
Chevayea
Compulsive Diver

Post by Chevayea »

I'm right there with ya! I have a small cart that i use in horrid places like Kopachuck where it is far and steep to get to the water. Otherwise i have no problems walking, swimming, hiking, climbing, piggybacking...whatever, so long as there is a dive involved.

But don't get me wrong. Fox Island has a rep of a horrendous walk. It isn't that bad. The incline is a little steep but it isn't that far (little over a hundred yards i'm guessing).
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

I know better than to let you anywhere near my rubber ducky, since its red like your brouchie :la: :bootyshake:
kjc
Aquaphile

CaptnJack'er...

Post by kjc »

Har Har Har...

PINK Sir!

ooohhh how you rile me so...

I miss yer warm touch,

late...in the morning....

...all of you boys!

Kisses!