Steamboat Island

This forum consists of a listing of dive sites, including directions and other essential info. Plan your dive, dive your plan.

Rate this Dive

Poll ended at Sun Feb 10, 2008 12:28 pm

Great
No votes
Good
100%
Okay
No votes
DBD (Don't Bother Diving)
No votes

Total votes: 2

loanwolf
Pelagic

Steamboat Island

Post by loanwolf »

STEAMBOAT ISLAND
GPS: 47°11'12.55"N 122°56'18.55"W
Depth Range: 20-110
Current: C2 (Medium Currents)
Bottom: SMR (Sand, Mud, Rock)
Description: HBT (High Boat Traffic), PH (photo)

Has anyone done this form shore?

Greg
Life is Short do as Much as Possible in as Short of Period of Time as Possible.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

The whole shore is all privately owned (I'm pretty sure). You'd need to know the owners who have stairs installed and then of course you'd need to not walk on the adjacent lands you don't have access permission to (easier said than done at this high current site).

This subforum is really for summaries of sites. There's a sticky at the top outlining the general format of the summaries, please try to stick to that format since it gives the kinds of information people need. If you don't have all that info, its kinda a hint that you're not really prepared to do a writeup of the site. :)

Format requirements
http://www.nwdiveclub.com/viewtopic.php?t=170
loanwolf
Pelagic

Post by loanwolf »

[quote="CaptnJack"]The whole shore is all privately owned (I'm pretty sure). You'd need to know the owners who have stairs installed and then of course you'd need to not walk on the adjacent lands you don't have access permission to (easier said than done at this high current site).

This subforum is really for summaries of sites. There's a sticky at the top outlining the general format of the summaries, please try to stick to that format since it gives the kinds of information people need. If you don't have all that info, its kinda a hint that you're not really prepared to do a writeup of the site. :)

Format requirements
http://www.nwdiveclub.com/viewtopic.php?t=170[/quot

sorry for not keeping the format of the sticky. i have done these dives from boat not shore, fishing for info for myself and others for better details and how they rate the DS. can you suggest to me a better way or place to put questions like this to the members. or can we get a sub thread that is for that?
Greg
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Sorry, I guess this is the best place. Maybe we need a header for the actual summaries and then other dive site info can live in threads like this.

For me, Steamboat was so-so (I've only done it once). Its mostly gravel as I recall and the whipping currents are a bit of a hassle. The tugs and tows going in and out of Hammersly Inlet also gave me the willies. They tend to go by around slack, right when you wanna dive. There's just not enough room for everyone there and I don't want them to envoke the law of tonnage!

I'm curious about the Squaxin Rocks site you also show on the aerial. Can you do a writeup of that?
loanwolf
Pelagic

Post by loanwolf »

Sauaxin rocks was pretty good for the south sound shallow dive when I did it. Their is what looks like a old wreck to the north east what the charts call a submerges structure. not much left. but watch out for lines and nets. The day I was their, their was both. Currents to me were not what I thought was too bad a C2.

but like anyplace else in the sound one day it can be good the next after a wind storm like what we have had lately it can be stripped bare and different.

Greg