Ansell Place

This forum consists of a listing of dive sites, including directions and other essential info. Plan your dive, dive your plan.
gcbryan
Submariner

Ansell Place

Post by gcbryan »

Dive Site Name: Ansell Place (W.Vancouver, B.C.)

Skill Level: All Divers hardy enough for the hike down to the water (and back up)!

Current Sensitive:
No.

Location/Address: Ansell Place (W.Vancouver, B.C.)

Directions: Go to W.Vancouver and take the Sea to Sky highway north just north of the ferry at Horseshoe Bay.Take the Ansell Place exit.

Free Parking: Yes. There is a cul de sac right at the public right of way among private residences.

Staging Area: Average.May be a problem if it's crowded (weekends?)

Surface Swim: Short

Nearby Facilities: None

Special Considerations: The hike down to the water is strenuous. It's steep but not dangerous as there are wooden stairs at the beginning and a trail through the woods until you get close to the water. There are some large rocks to get down just before the water but there is a rope hanging down from an overhanging tree that helps with that. Coming back up the hill is even more strenuous obviously.

Maximum Depth: Up to diver (would appear to be more than 200 fsw)

Dive Site Description: Very broad wall running both north and south of the entry. Go straight out until the wall begins. For much of the year the viz seems to be very good. There are cloud sponges as you get deeper along with Tiger Rockfish, Juvenile Yelloweye Rockfish, many Sea Stars, Anemones, etc. The wall is rock but has many nooks and crannies.

Do your dive on the portion of the wall to your left and another one to your right and you still will probably not get to the end of the wall.
gcbryan
Submariner

Re: Ansell Place

Post by gcbryan »

By the way, NWDC member "Blitz" is the expert on this dive.
Pez7378
I've Got Gills

Post by Pez7378 »

gcbryan wrote:By the way, NWDC member "Blitz" is the expert on this dive.
Probably because he is the only one around "Hearty" enough to make the hike down and back up.
BDub
I've Got Gills

Post by BDub »

Pez7378 wrote:Probably because he is the only one around "Hearty" enough to make the hike down and back up.
He was when we were there! Pouring down rain, slippery stairs, pumped up lp95's, and a deco bottle. It didn't take me long to say "screw this, let's go to Whytecliff" lol

Marc was fine with doing that, and we ended up having a great dive, but he would've done Ansell, no problem.
http://www.frogkickdiving.com/

"It's a lot easier when you're not doing it" - CaseyB449

"There needs to be more strawberry condoms. Just not on my regulator" - DSteding
gcbryan
Submariner

Post by gcbryan »

Pez7378 wrote:
gcbryan wrote:By the way, NWDC member "Blitz" is the expert on this dive.
Probably because he is the only one around "Hearty" enough to make the hike down and back up.
Oh I've done it. Two dives back to back no less (two trips up the hill). I did it with singles and dropped my weight belt before the trip up the hill. "Blitz" chose otherwise...doubles and all!
Marc
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by Marc »

I am not very bright, but I am strong....
Reporter: "The helmet has a special meaning for many drivers. How important is it to you?"

Raikkonen: "It protects my head."