FREE Marine Life ID class (REEF)

This forum is provided for the further edification of our club members seeking to improve their knowledge and diving skills. (recreational diving only)
trevorrowe
Extreme Diving Machine

Re: FREE Marine Life ID class (REEF)

Post by trevorrowe »

The class looks like fun. I just signed up. Heres to hoping for good viz in march!
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

My commission check from Janna just doubled!! :partydance:
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
Domer Down
Avid Diver

Post by Domer Down »

I'm in as well. Can't wait for the class.

Thanks for posting this thread. Even the threadjacking was mildly amusing. :laugh:
Tom Larson (Domer Down)
When you look long into an abyss, the abyss also looks into you.
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

Domer Down wrote:I'm in as well. Can't wait for the class.

Thanks for posting this thread. Even the threadjacking was mildly amusing. :laugh:
Money, money, money, moooooooooney!! My commission check just went up another 10%!! :partydance:
Dashrynn
I've Got Gills

Post by Dashrynn »

Are there any cool benefits to being a level 5 id person?
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Dashrynn wrote:Are there any cool benefits to being a level 5 id person?

You get to split the registration fees of the free classes with Sounder.
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
renoun
I've Got Gills

Post by renoun »

You get to wear a maroon weight belt?
"Just to be clear, doing the Diamond Knot requires at the minimum double IPAs to be DIR." - MattleyCrue
"Mmmm....... Oreos!
They didn't look too good when I was spitting in my mask for dive #2!" - cardiver
ktb
I've Got Gills

Post by ktb »

renoun wrote:
You get to wear a maroon weight belt?
Level 5 is the highest, so wouldn't that be a black belt?
:hah:
Kelly
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

It's defiantly a maroon belt - I happen to have seen one.
nwscubamom
I've Got Gills

Post by nwscubamom »

Most definitely! Once you hit level 4/5, you get invited to be on the Pacific NW Advanced Assessment Team. This group of highly skilled Critter IDers are called upon for special projects - where the diving is paid for!

Two key projects we've been doing on an annual basis are in the Olympic Coast National Marine Sanctuary (aka Neah Bay) and the Monterey Bay National Marine Sanctuary. These are week-long projects where the boat diving is paid for by grant funding. In the case of OCNMS, the lodging is also paid for. You volunteer your time, pay for transportation to/from, and food. And get to dive some of the most amazing places, while gathering valuable data for REEF and NOAA.

Other smaller projects include boat diving around Puget Sound and the San Juans, where, once again, your boat costs are paid.

So advantages? I'd say so!

- Janna
Janna Nichols
My underwater photo galleries
REEF Citizen Science Program Manager
Seen any cool critters lately?
><((((°>
-----------------------------
nwscubamom
I've Got Gills

Post by nwscubamom »

UPDATE:

WOW!!! I am most impressed. Looks like the Redondo class on March 19th/20th is gonna be THE NWDC class!!

So far half the class spots are taken, and they're ALL filled with NWDC members. This is gonna be fun! If you have half a mind to hang out with us that day, sign up soon - there are only about 10 spots left.

Doug - Commission check is in the mail...

- Janna
Janna Nichols
><((((°>
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

nwscubamom wrote:
Most definitely! Once you hit level 4/5, you get invited to be on the Pacific NW Advanced Assessment Team. This group of highly skilled Critter IDers are called upon for special projects - where the diving is paid for!

Two key projects we've been doing on an annual basis are in the Olympic Coast National Marine Sanctuary (aka Neah Bay) and the Monterey Bay National Marine Sanctuary. These are week-long projects where the boat diving is paid for by grant funding. In the case of OCNMS, the lodging is also paid for. You volunteer your time, pay for transportation to/from, and food. And get to dive some of the most amazing places, while gathering valuable data for REEF and NOAA.

Other smaller projects include boat diving around Puget Sound and the San Juans, where, once again, your boat costs are paid.

- Janna
...and you start getting a commission check for recruiting new REEFers. You start by getting 10% of what Janna pays me, and then once you've recruited 5 people under you, you get 25% of what Janna pays me. Soon you'll be making 50% of what Janna pays me and then after you get your next 10 recruits, you get a pink X-scooter to drive around.

Seriously - this is legit. As soon as you sign up and start telling people about it, you get 10% of my commission check for your recruits. What's easier than that?!

Recently, I had recruited so many people that Janna actually doubled my pay - there are awesome benefits.
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

nwscubamom wrote:UPDATE:

WOW!!! I am most impressed. Looks like the Redondo class on March 19th/20th is gonna be THE NWDC class!!

So far half the class spots are taken, and they're ALL filled with NWDC members. This is gonna be fun! If you have half a mind to hang out with us that day, sign up soon - there are only about 10 spots left.
:partydance: :partydance: :partydance:

Know what? :idea: I'm going to come dive Redondo with the new REEFers that weekend. I might even poke my head in to disrupt class by saying something to embarrass Janna!! Know why?! I'm glad you asked!! That's the weekend after I finish my MBA coursework!! :partydance: :breakdance: :clap: :bday: :partyman:

Yeah, I'm diving Redondo with some new NWDC REEFer peeps that weekend. :metal:
nwscubamom wrote:Doug - Commission check is in the mail...
:thankyouyellow:
nwscubamom
I've Got Gills

Post by nwscubamom »

Not only everything that Doug is saying about the commission pay, but you also can get into classes for half the cost of what everyone else is paying.

\:D/
Janna Nichols
><((((°>
Dashrynn
I've Got Gills

Post by Dashrynn »

Sounder wrote:
nwscubamom wrote:

- Janna
...and you start getting a commission check for recruiting new REEFers. You start by getting 10% of what Janna pays me, and then once you've recruited 5 people under you, you get 25% of what Janna pays me. Soon you'll be making 50% of what Janna pays me and then after you get your next 10 recruits, you get a pink X-scooter to drive around.

Seriously - this is legit. As soon as you sign up and start telling people about it, you get 10% of my commission check for your recruits. What's easier than that?!

Recently, I had recruited so many people that Janna actually doubled my pay - there are awesome benefits.

Defiantly very lucrative. Man boat diving for free...sooo whats the catch?
nwscubamom wrote:Not only everything that Doug is saying about the commission pay, but you also can get into classes for half the cost of what everyone else is paying.

\:D/
Wait wasn't this class free?
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

Dashrynn wrote:Wait wasn't this class free?
If you attend the class, I'll pay your tuition and I'll dive with you afterward. It'll be one of the rare times I bring my camera to document what I see while I do my survey.
Dashrynn
I've Got Gills

Post by Dashrynn »

Sounder wrote:
Dashrynn wrote:Wait wasn't this class free?
If you attend the class, I'll pay your tuition and I'll dive with you afterward. It'll be one of the rare times I bring my camera to document what I see while I do my survey.
:confused: WHAT???
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

nwscubamom wrote:UPDATE:
- Janna
:supz: :metal: =D> :boucegreen: :clap:

I think I might come and dive with the Reefers as well! "Hey everyone, come dive with the NWDC Reefer Class!" ...wait a minute ...that doesn't sound quite right :roll:
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
scottsax
I've Got Gills

Post by scottsax »

I'm signed up. Should be quite the entertaining class!
I'm going to look like a moose on rollerskates. -airsix
... my Mom caught me fenestrating once. -lavachickie
And I get so tired of fainting and peeing all over myself when the hammer falls on an empty chamber! -Nailer

Want to know where I'm performing? Check out my Facebook fan page!
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

scottsax wrote:I'm signed up. Should be quite the entertaining class!
:partydance: :partydance:

Are you bringing Hannah? You know, the misguided girl who is way out of your league and who you don't deserve but she loves you anyway? I bet she'd kick your ass in Fish-O. :stick:
scottsax
I've Got Gills

Post by scottsax »

Sounder wrote:

Are you bringing Hannah? You know, the misguided girl who is way out of your league and who you don't deserve but she loves you anyway? I bet she'd kick your ass in Fish-O. :stick:
Shhhhh!!! She doesn't know how much out of my league she is yet.

I haven't talked to her about it yet. She's going to be in school then, so she may not be able to.
I'm going to look like a moose on rollerskates. -airsix
... my Mom caught me fenestrating once. -lavachickie
And I get so tired of fainting and peeing all over myself when the hammer falls on an empty chamber! -Nailer

Want to know where I'm performing? Check out my Facebook fan page!
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

scottsax wrote:
Sounder wrote:

Shhhhh!!! She doesn't know how much out of my league she is yet.

I haven't talked to her about it yet. She's going to be in school then, so she may not be able to.
Scott, you know what happened last time you told me we had to keep it "our little secret."

Hopefully she'll be able to make it. I'll be there, because I won't be in school, because I'll be done with school, forever, and I'll be diving, and I can't wait for that weekend, because it's been too long, and it'll mean I'm done with school, and I want to dive, and and and... :breakdance:
renoun
I've Got Gills

Post by renoun »

I probably just made somebody on the wait list very happy since I had to email Janna and drop out from this weekend's class at Redondo. Have fun.
"Just to be clear, doing the Diamond Knot requires at the minimum double IPAs to be DIR." - MattleyCrue
"Mmmm....... Oreos!
They didn't look too good when I was spitting in my mask for dive #2!" - cardiver
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

renoun wrote:I probably just made somebody on the wait list very happy since I had to email Janna and drop out from this weekend's class at Redondo. Have fun.
I bet you did Ross. Sorry you can't make it!! I'm still hoping to be there, with post-school bells on!! Depending on the weather, Mrs. and Toddler Sounder may make an appearance too.
nwscubamom
I've Got Gills

Post by nwscubamom »

Things are looking good for the classes this weekend!

Friday night is Basic Fish ID 5pm-9pm
Saturday morning is Advanced Fish ID 9am - noon
Saturday afternoon is a practice fun dive survey.

Confirmation emails have been sent out and we've received a few cancellations - It's just one of those things! Folks on the waiting list have been offered spots - and we still have....THREE spots we can fill. So....throwing it out there first for any of you NWDC folks who want it! Classes are free, lots of fun, and you'll be in great company with all the NWDC members coming!

If you're interested, sign up here:
http://www.pnwscuba.com/critterwatchers ... ration.htm

(it says waiting list only, but there's really three spots available)

- Janna
Janna Nichols
><((((°>