Light signals, counting numbers, and basic hand signals

This forum is provided for the further edification of our club members seeking to improve their knowledge and diving skills. (recreational diving only)
airsix
I've Got Gills

Re: Light signals, counting numbers, and basic hand signals

Post by airsix »

2loud4u wrote:It great to see this post, as a new diver I always hate it when buddy asks for my pressure, and I am trying to figure out...
Just remember two things.
1) The signs Dashrynn posted
2) Communicate them in hundreds. We all monitor and track pressure to the nearest 100psi. There is no need to ever communicate down to the decimal. 9 = 900psi. 14 = 1,400 psi. Using this standard you'll never need to flash more than two numbers in sequence.

-Ben
"The place looked like a washing machine full of Josh's carharts. I was not into it." --Sockmonkey
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

airsix wrote:Using this standard you'll never need to flash more than two numbers in sequence.
Perhaps a little less "flashing" and a little more "hold the sign until its recognized" might be in order...
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

CaptnJack wrote:
airsix wrote:Using this standard you'll never need to flash more than two numbers in sequence.
Perhaps a little less "flashing" and a little more "hold the sign until its recognized" might be in order...
+1

Sloooooow Dooooooown the signals so buddies can read them. I'm notoriously bad at this and do my best to take my own advice yet it bothers me when others are too fast.
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
airsix
I've Got Gills

Post by airsix »

Thank you for correcting me, Richard. "flash" was a poor word choice.

Which reminds me to add another important sign: Index finger raised and bent = "question". Frequently of use when the other diver "flashes" a series of signs in rapid succession.

No flashing. [-X
"The place looked like a washing machine full of Josh's carharts. I was not into it." --Sockmonkey
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

airsix wrote:Thank you for correcting me, Richard. "flash" was a poor word choice.

It's ok, you were just remembering diving with me this summer.

Jake(recovering flasher)
"Screw "annual" service,... I get them serviced when they break." - CaptnJack (paraphrased)

"you do realize you're supposed to mix the :koolaid: with water and drink it, not snort the powder directly from the packet, right? :smt064 " - Spatman
airsix
I've Got Gills

Post by airsix »

Nwbrewer wrote:
airsix wrote:Thank you for correcting me, Richard. "flash" was a poor word choice.

Jake(recovering flasher)
Hey, I'm not about to start pointing fingers. That would definitely backfire on me!
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

airsix wrote:
Nwbrewer wrote:

Jake(recovering flasher)
Hey, I'm not about to start pointing fingers. That would definitely backfire on me!
What IS the signal for "I'm going to go feet first to the surface at Polaris missile speeds"?
"Screw "annual" service,... I get them serviced when they break." - CaptnJack (paraphrased)

"you do realize you're supposed to mix the :koolaid: with water and drink it, not snort the powder directly from the packet, right? :smt064 " - Spatman
airsix
I've Got Gills

Post by airsix »

Nwbrewer wrote:What IS the signal for "I'm going to go feet first to the surface at Polaris missile speeds"?
Totally irrelevant. I have no idea what you're talking about. That would never happen........... Again. (for so many reasons)
I'm no Penelope, but I had the maskless stuff down pretty good by the end.

Back to the question... I think the proper sign would be to clip a spool to yourself, hand it to another team member, and sign "You shoot the bag, Me." and assume the position.
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

airsix wrote:
Nwbrewer wrote:What IS the signal for "I'm going to go feet first to the surface at Polaris missile speeds"?
Totally irrelevant. I have no idea what you're talking about. That would never happen........... Again. (for so many reasons)
I'm no Penelope, but I had the maskless stuff down pretty good by the end.

Back to the question... I think the proper sign would be to clip a spool to yourself, hand it to another team member, and sign "You shoot the bag, Me." and assume the position.

Good idea, your team member can then assist in controlling your ascent. :penelope:

I actually swam around with my mask off the other day for no good reason other than H2Odoc took his off first. I was actually surprised at how much I could see. ( I started on the slope and in familiar territory.)

oregondiver
Submariner

Post by oregondiver »

There seems to be folks who are SIgn Language, Flashers, Knockers and...Well, Mr Smith is off by himself

How come no one here likes Knockers? :rofl:
Discussing the Whites Fusion: "Looks like you are wearing a startrek leotard with bunched-up undies..." -Airsix

"fins are like shoes....you can never have enough pairs." -Lizard0924
scottsax
I've Got Gills

Post by scottsax »

So...Knockers only get you to a count of 2. What do you do for the other 8 numbers?
I'm going to look like a moose on rollerskates. -airsix
... my Mom caught me fenestrating once. -lavachickie
And I get so tired of fainting and peeing all over myself when the hammer falls on an empty chamber! -Nailer

Want to know where I'm performing? Check out my Facebook fan page!
Pez7378
I've Got Gills

Post by Pez7378 »

oregondiver wrote:There seems to be folks who are SIgn Language, Flashers, Knockers and.....How come no one here likes Knockers? :rofl:
Flashers are creepy, Knockers are okay, but we prefer "Ta Ta's!" The problem is, have any of you tried to signal anyone with a set of Ta ta's? It's distracting as hell and the message is usually mis understood as an invitation to the surface, a quick drink, shower and ..................
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

Pez7378 wrote:
oregondiver wrote:There seems to be folks who are SIgn Language, Flashers, Knockers and.....How come no one here likes Knockers? :rofl:
Flashers are creepy, Knockers are okay, but we prefer "Ta Ta's!" The problem is, have any of you tried to signal anyone with a set of Ta ta's? It's distracting as hell and the message is usually mis understood as an invitation to the surface, a quick drink, shower and ..................
<-- Also likes ta-ta's/knockers/headlights and really loves what Chris wrote!!
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!