Gas Planning Boot Camp

This forum is provided for the further edification of our club members seeking to improve their knowledge and diving skills. (recreational diving only)
BDub
I've Got Gills

Gas Planning Boot Camp

Post by BDub »

Spring is shaping up to be a fun yet busy one for me, so I want to get this out there now before time gets away from me...

So, after the turnout from last night's free gas planning and management workshop, I want to schedule another, for those who weren't able to come last night and for those who want a bit of a review.

However, I'm going to switch this up a bit...

I'm going to give the same Free Gas Planning and Management Workshop that I gave last night.

We'll cover the same topics:

Gas Consumption
Minimum Gas (Rock Bottom)
Tank Factors
Gas Plans
Gas Management

However, when we're finished with that discussion, we'll then spend 1-2 hours creating gas plans under different conditions and scenarios, starting simple and building progressively more challenging plans and profiles. If we get enough interest, maybe we'll break the group into teams and have some friendly competition (winner gets a Spare Air!)

This is open to anyone, regardless of skill level...

If you haven't had any prior exposure to gas planning or management, we'll start with the very basics and work from there. Those who are a bit rusty who need a refresher, this is a great method getting up to date. Those who's heads are spinning from all this new knowledge, this is a great opportunity to apply it and put it to use and really solidify what you just learned.

We'll do this Wednesday, March 3rd.

Please RSVP by replying here, pm'ing me, or emailing me.
http://www.frogkickdiving.com/

"It's a lot easier when you're not doing it" - CaseyB449

"There needs to be more strawberry condoms. Just not on my regulator" - DSteding
2loud4u
Compulsive Diver

Re: Gas Planning Boot Camp

Post by 2loud4u »

Count me in... I work that day and dont get off shift until 6pm, (in Arlington) so I would not be there until about 7pm.

Brendan
FTM ~ PTB ~ EGH ~ RFB ~ KTF ~ DTRT
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

:angry: on a wednesday...
Pez7378
I've Got Gills

Post by Pez7378 »

spatman wrote::angry: on a wednesday...
Can we get a "Tissue" smiley please?
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

Pez7378 wrote:
Can we get a "Tissue" smiley please?
:banplz:
lizard0924
Submariner

Post by lizard0924 »

Paul and I are in (and we are really competitive :) ).
Liz

www.lizsundquist.com

Holy cow! I'm the Godzilla of the underworld, apparently. ~ JenBowes
I'm going to tie my spool off on your manifold and ride you like a manatee! ~ Scottsax
Lundy will forever be known as The Guy Touching Richard's Thong. ~ Spatman
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

I don't see the problem. We live near water worth diving. Leave work at 2:30. boot camp, beers, then a nap on sounder's floor, dive the next mornin', drive home. poof done.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

CaptnJack wrote:
I don't see the problem. We live near water worth diving. Leave work at 2:30. boot camp, beers, then a nap on sounder's floor, dive the next mornin', drive home. poof done.
when i'm self-employed, that will happen. until then, not likely...
BDub
I've Got Gills

Post by BDub »

Hey everyone-

This is a bit over a week out, but we'll be up in BC exploring a deep wreck with Todd Powell's crew over the weekend and are dealing with logistics of that this week.

We have quite a few people coming, and a larger facility is available to use, if needed.

Everyone is welcome, of course, but if you haven't replied here or emailed or pm'd me, and are planning on attending, please let me know this week please, so I can reserve the larger facility, if needed. If you're on the fence, no problem, just let me know and I'll plan accordingly. That way we won't have to force Casey to sit on a stepladder again ;)

"There needs to be more strawberry condoms. Just not on my regulator" - DSteding
ldevore
Compulsive Diver

Post by ldevore »

So this is going to be at NWSD's new location, correct???

....ummmm..... are we doing the "homework" in the adjacent business that sells adult beverages? :occasion5: :mmmbeer:

Lauri
selkie
Submariner

Post by selkie »

"A man must have some wit to know he is a fool"

Maritime Archaeological Society (MAS)
http://maritimearchaeological.org/

Northwest Diving History Association (NWDHA)
http://www.divinghistory.org/
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

selkie wrote:
weekends are for diving!
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
BDub
I've Got Gills

Post by BDub »

ldevore wrote:So this is going to be at NWSD's new location, correct???

....ummmm..... are we doing the "homework" in the adjacent business that sells adult beverages? :occasion5: :mmmbeer:

Lauri
Yes, new location.

LOL, yeah, I can just imagine how that would turn out down the road...."sorry I ran out of air dude, the gas plan sure made sense at the bar the other night...." :partyman:

Pez7378
I've Got Gills

Post by Pez7378 »

BDub wrote:LOL, yeah, I can just imagine how that would turn out down the road...."sorry I ran out of air dude, the gas plan sure made sense at the bar the other night...." :partyman:
Joe doesn't seem to have any problems with it.......although :huge: ........
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

BDub wrote:the gas plan sure made sense at the bar the other night...." :partyman:

If I had a nickle for every time I said that to myself underwater, I'd be fifteen cents richer. (kidding, mostly. Yeah. Pretty much kidding.)
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

CaptnJack wrote:
selkie wrote:
weekends are for diving!
bah! you guys dive during the week, too!
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

Joshua Smith wrote:
BDub wrote:the gas plan sure made sense at the bar the other night...." :partyman:

If I had a nickle for every time I said that to myself underwater, I'd be fifteen cents richer. (kidding, mostly. Yeah. Pretty much kidding.)

(edit)- Brian, are we competing for a regular spare air, or the Nitrox one?

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

Joshua Smith wrote:
Joshua Smith wrote:

the twins. gotta have redundancy.

spareair-productline.jpg
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

spatman wrote:
Joshua Smith wrote:
Joshua Smith wrote:

the twins. gotta have redundancy.

spareair-productline.jpg

Yeah, but without an iso manifold, it's not really redundant. And if you don't practice maskless, lights-out, shark ate my legs, spare air valve drills, on a regular basis, how can I, as your team mate, really count on you to use the equipment correctly when TSHTF? :joshsmith:

BDub
I've Got Gills

Post by BDub »

Joshua Smith wrote:
Joshua Smith wrote:

Neither......Nominal Spare Air.....brand new....all the rage

CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

BDub wrote:
Joshua Smith wrote:
Joshua Smith wrote:

Air is for tires, make it 10/70
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

Joshua Smith wrote: And if you don't practice maskless, lights-out, shark ate my legs, spare air valve drills, on a regular basis, how can I, as your team mate, really count on you to use the equipment correctly when TSHTF? :joshsmith:
Were you hanging out at cove 2 during our Rec 3 class? I think Ben, P and I did this dive...
"Screw "annual" service,... I get them serviced when they break." - CaptnJack (paraphrased)

"you do realize you're supposed to mix the :koolaid: with water and drink it, not snort the powder directly from the packet, right? :smt064 " - Spatman
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

CaptnJack wrote:
BDub wrote:
Joshua Smith wrote:
Joshua Smith wrote:

I hear that 5/90 is all the rage these days, if you wanna spend 700 hours underwater, at 9 ATA. :dj:

CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Joshua Smith wrote:
CaptnJack wrote:
BDub wrote:
Joshua Smith wrote:
Joshua Smith wrote:

I hear that 5/90 is all the rage these days, if you wanna spend 700 hours underwater, at 9 ATA. :dj:
Nap time :shootself:
BDub
I've Got Gills

Post by BDub »

Joshua Smith wrote:
CaptnJack wrote:
BDub wrote:
Joshua Smith wrote:
Joshua Smith wrote:

All the more reason for Nominal Spare Air....gets you outta the water quicker!