PADI Nitrox

This forum is provided for the further edification of our club members seeking to improve their knowledge and diving skills. (recreational diving only)
2loud4u
Compulsive Diver

PADI Nitrox

Post by 2loud4u »

Does anybody have an extra set of Padi Nitrox classroom materials they would be willing to let us borrow for our class? We are going to take the class, and dont want to have to buy 2 sets of books when we only use one.

Brendan
FTM ~ PTB ~ EGH ~ RFB ~ KTF ~ DTRT
WASP7000
Dive-aholic

Re: PADI Nitrox

Post by WASP7000 »

Just took it a couple weeks ago, you can borrow mine. How do you want me to get them to you? And FWIW, there was a couple in the class I took that used the same materials. Not sure what your instructors requirements are though.
dieseldude
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by dieseldude »

I would think that if you copied the knowledge reviews(unanswered) & then filled them out individually & turned them in, you shouldnt have a problem with having one book between you.
mj
" What doesn't kill you, makes you stronger"
2loud4u
Compulsive Diver

Post by 2loud4u »

I asked the instructor that, and he told me he has padi rules he must follow. So, I have always done that, and ended up with an extra OW book, that I was able to give out, and an AOW book still in plastic because we used just the one. I dont mind buying one so I can keep it in case I need to refer back to it at some point, but 2 is a waste of money and materials.
2loud4u
Compulsive Diver

Post by 2loud4u »

WASP7000 wrote:Just took it a couple weeks ago, you can borrow mine. How do you want me to get them to you? And FWIW, there was a couple in the class I took that used the same materials. Not sure what your instructors requirements are though.
Looks like you are a ways away from me, but I am not taking it for about a week. I would be willing to send you some $ and you could mail it to me. Or we will be in Federal Way next wednesday, we could just shoot down there and meet you if that works.

Brendan
Mattleycrue76
I've Got Gills

Post by Mattleycrue76 »

What is it exactly that you need? If it's just the book minus the knowledge reviews I have one for ya. It has the little boxes in the excersize section already checked though.
"The She-Ps didn't work for either one of us, however- we accidently glued one to Dan's cat, and the other one ended up in a DEA evidence locker somehow." - Joshua Smith
WASP7000
Dive-aholic

Post by WASP7000 »

2loud4u wrote:
WASP7000 wrote:Just took it a couple weeks ago, you can borrow mine. How do you want me to get them to you? And FWIW, there was a couple in the class I took that used the same materials. Not sure what your instructors requirements are though.
Looks like you are a ways away from me, but I am not taking it for about a week. I would be willing to send you some $ and you could mail it to me. Or we will be in Federal Way next wednesday, we could just shoot down there and meet you if that works.

Brendan
Yeah just let me know, I can mail it to you or whatever. I don't get up north too often. We're diving sund rock on sunday... I know that's a long drive for a dive, but it's an option.
2loud4u
Compulsive Diver

Post by 2loud4u »

Mattleycrue76 wrote:What is it exactly that you need? If it's just the book minus the knowledge reviews I have one for ya. It has the little boxes in the excersize section already checked though.
Matt,

I just need whatever it is I need for the class... Thats about it. I can probably make copies of the knowledge reviews out of the new book I buy.

Brendan
WASP7000
Dive-aholic

Post by WASP7000 »

What comes with the book is well obviously the book, and 3 plastic cards, 2 are dive tables for 32% and 36% EANx and the other is the EAD table. I would think all you would need is to copy the knowledge reviews from one book and just share the tables. I don't know why it would be a requirement to buy a second set you won't use besides to get more money out of you.
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

WASP7000 wrote: I don't know why it would be a requirement to buy a second set you won't use besides to get more money out of you.
We have a winner!

Be careful of Nitrox class. It just the first baby step towards the dark side... :blackblink:
"Screw "annual" service,... I get them serviced when they break." - CaptnJack (paraphrased)

"you do realize you're supposed to mix the :koolaid: with water and drink it, not snort the powder directly from the packet, right? :smt064 " - Spatman
Peter Guy
Compulsive Diver

Post by Peter Guy »

I don't know why it would be a requirement to buy a second set you won't use besides to get more money out of you.
Or maybe to keep people from violating the copyright of the book?

Doing the Knowledge Reviews is, or at least in my mind should be, a very important part of the class. Each person has to do their own KR's and, unfortunately, there is only one set of KR's in each book. SO, unless you believe it is OK to violate the copyright of PADI, you need to buy your own book -- otherwise, you won't be able to do your own KR's. You could always phone PADI and ask for permission to copy the KR's for the spouse!

BTW, we have two copies of the NAUI Nitrox text because we were required to each have our own text.
2loud4u
Compulsive Diver

Post by 2loud4u »

Peter Guy wrote:
BTW, we have two copies of the NAUI Nitrox text because we were required to each have our own text.
I didnt really ask for a lecture, but to borrow a book...but since I got the the lecture let me explain...again...

Through all our Padi courses thus far, we never marked in our 2 sets of books. We made copies of the knowledge reviews and used the copies to write on and turn in. Then we have an extra book laying around that will not get used. Instead of wasting a book, I would like to buy one for us to keep, and borrow the second book.

There is no reason whatsoever to require a second book in a situation like this except to get more money.

Am I to assume you buy 2 copies of every book you read in case your wife wants to read it as well. That makes no sense to me.

By the way, since you have 2 sets, would you mind loaning us one? ;)

Brendan
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

2loud4u wrote:
Peter Guy wrote:
I didnt really ask for a lecture, but to borrow a book...but since I got the the lecture let me explain...again...

Through all our Padi courses thus far, we never marked in our 2 sets of books. We made copies of the knowledge reviews and used the copies to write on and turn in. Then we have an extra book laying around that will not get used. Instead of wasting a book, I would like to buy one for us to keep, and borrow the second book.

There is no reason whatsoever to require a second book in a situation like this except to get more money.

Am I to assume you buy 2 copies of every book you read in case your wife wants to read it as well. That makes no sense to me.

By the way, since you have 2 sets, would you mind loaning us one? ;)

Brendan
Hey Brendan - Peter's right. Making photocopies of books like that is a violation of copyright law. Buying a book and sharing that book is not. Does it happen everyday? Sure. It is right? Absolutely not.

If you don't like PADI policies, then there are other agencies you can train with - that's the decision I've made.
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

Is it a violation of copyright to copy the question by hand with the answer onto a separate sheet of paper to turn in? If so every high school and college student in america is in violation of copyright, since I think EVERY class I took in college required me to do this for my homework. I guess I don't see how this is different.

FWIW with my NAUI Nitrox class I was only required to submit an answer sheet, nothing else.
"Screw "annual" service,... I get them serviced when they break." - CaptnJack (paraphrased)

"you do realize you're supposed to mix the :koolaid: with water and drink it, not snort the powder directly from the packet, right? :smt064 " - Spatman
2loud4u
Compulsive Diver

Post by 2loud4u »

I could agree with Peter if I said I wanted to borrow the book, photocopy the entire book and use that for my class . I agree that would be wrong. I honestly dont see a problem with copying the KR and turning that in.
WASP7000
Dive-aholic

Post by WASP7000 »

This thread just got ridiculous. Now we're talking about copyright violations? Just....wow....
Not talking about copying the book and selling it, we're talking about 2 people doing knowledge reviews from the same book. And writing in the book and ripping out the pages to turn them in makes even less sense. There's text on the backs of some of the knowledge reviews, so you're just destroying the book.

I made copies of my knowledge reviews (no actually my instructor did) and the copyright police haven't come breaking my door down yet. I'm a pretty morally sound person and don't feel like I did anything wrong by not tearing apart my book.

Once again, you can borrow my book (just don't write in it) ;)
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

:rofl: :rofl:

2loud4u you may want to delete this thread which clearly defines your outlaw intentions. Leaving a trail is the best way to get caught.
**Pinch it, don't stick your finger through. You're just pinching a bigger hole.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

2loud4u wrote:I could agree with Peter if I said I wanted to borrow the book, photocopy the entire book and use that for my class . I agree that would be wrong. I honestly dont see a problem with copying the KR and turning that in.

I've been through this one before. PADI does, indeed, want to sell one copy of each of their texts for each individual seeking a cert, be it OW, Nitrox, Rescue, or any other cert they offer. Their OFFICIAL position is that original- not photocopied- worksheets and knowledge reviews, found in their manuals- must be turned in to an instructor in order to recieve the cert. I'm not expressing an opinion one way or another about this; just explaining it as it was explained to me, when I took OW with my wife. Our instructor told us that we had to buy two copies of the manual in order to get two C-cards. You might want to check with YOUR instructor about this......
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
lamont
I've Got Gills

Post by lamont »

2loud4u wrote: There is no reason whatsoever to require a second book in a situation like this except to get more money.
Its part of the cost of taking the course. If you don't like this way of doing business, then its better to look elsewhere for training, rather than to try to cheat.
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

Joshua Smith wrote:
2loud4u wrote:I could agree with Peter if I said I wanted to borrow the book, photocopy the entire book and use that for my class . I agree that would be wrong. I honestly dont see a problem with copying the KR and turning that in.

I've been through this one before. PADI does, indeed, want to sell one copy of each of their texts for each individual seeking a cert, be it OW, Nitrox, Rescue, or any other cert they offer. Their OFFICIAL position is that original- not photocopied- worksheets and knowledge reviews, found in their manuals- must be turned in to an instructor in order to recieve the cert. I'm not expressing an opinion one way or another about this; just explaining it as it was explained to me, when I took OW with my wife. Our instructor told us that we had to buy two copies of the manual in order to get two C-cards. You might want to check with YOUR instructor about this......
+1 on checking with your instructor. Of course PADI has an interest in seeing one book per student as these books and DVD's are revenue for Padi. My instructor suggested that we copy ours from our books and keep the worksheets in the book so that future review was an option. I think what you are looking to do is certainly not out of line, and I would most likely try and cut some cost as well. I mean you already did buy one book.

my 2 psi
**Pinch it, don't stick your finger through. You're just pinching a bigger hole.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
2loud4u
Compulsive Diver

Post by 2loud4u »

lamont wrote:
2loud4u wrote: There is no reason whatsoever to require a second book in a situation like this except to get more money.
Its part of the cost of taking the course. If you don't like this way of doing business, then its better to look elsewhere for training, rather than to try to cheat.
Lamont,

Thank you for your contribution to this thread... It has really helped me in my search of some materials (as I stated in my OP) I should have just saved myself all the trouble of starting this thread, and the loads of fun reading it, and went to you in the first place.

It took me about 3 seconds to read your post, and I wish I could have my 3 seconds back, a complete waste of my time. :angry:

I am going to go out on a limb here.... Are you an instructor? If not I apologize, but your mentality seems like one of an instructor that cares more about dollars and cents than for the people that are taking the course. That to me is the "cheat" way of thinking. (I am not saying all instructors are like that, most I think are not like that at all.)

Going back to my OP, All I wanted was a simple "sure I have an extra book, here ya go" thread closed. Instead all it did was upset half the members in here who bring it upon themselves to "judge" me.. I did get lots of offers for materials and help, and I want to thank them all. Lets all just consider this closed....

Brendan
BDub
I've Got Gills

Post by BDub »

Nwbrewer wrote:Is it a violation of copyright to copy the question by hand with the answer onto a separate sheet of paper to turn in?
That was acceptable for my instructor when we did our PADI AOW and Rescue
http://www.frogkickdiving.com/

"It's a lot easier when you're not doing it" - CaseyB449

"There needs to be more strawberry condoms. Just not on my regulator" - DSteding
Peter Guy
Compulsive Diver

Post by Peter Guy »

Brendan -- I am obviously NOT Lamont but I do know that he is NOT an instructor and has, at best, a very loose relationship with PADI (perhaps an OW cert?). HOWEVER, he is in an industry which is VERY particular about Intellectual Property Rights (IP) and thus may be particularly attuned to the issue of copyright violations.

You asked a question as to WHY a household might be "required" to buy more than one copy of a manual. I gave you the textbook answer which is one you did not wish to hear. IF your instructor follows every PADI standard TO THE LETTER you will have to have one manual per student because EACH student is required to do their own Knowledge Reviews and present them -- NOT copies of the pages, but THE PAGES themselves with the answers. YES, this has the effect of P(utting) A(nother) D(ollar) I(nto) the coffers down in SoCal. But it is YOUR choice to take a PADI class -- so why are you then complaining about having to follow PADI rules?

If you don't want to buy two manuals for your household do you feel you should just have to purchase one "PIC" for your household -- with both (all?) names on the one card?

For what it is worth, I happen to believe it is silly to have to buy multiple manuals for a household -- but those are the rules by which I've agreed to play. (I also think it is silly to have the Designated Hitter but that is another thread -- and just as the AL doesn't care what I think neither does PADI.) And yes, I am a PADI instructor!
Mattleycrue76
I've Got Gills

Post by Mattleycrue76 »

Well since I PURCHASED the manual I have, you're free to borrow it for as long as you like and do with it as you see fit. The rest is between you and your instructor.
"The She-Ps didn't work for either one of us, however- we accidently glued one to Dan's cat, and the other one ended up in a DEA evidence locker somehow." - Joshua Smith
lamont
I've Got Gills

Post by lamont »

2loud4u wrote: I am going to go out on a limb here.... Are you an instructor?
You are completely incorrect and completely missed my point. I'm more biased towards you making the obvious and less half-assed choice to not spend your money on PADI.