Photos from CCR Experience - Sunday, June 13th

This forum is provided for the further edification of our club members seeking to improve their knowledge and diving skills. (recreational diving only)
loanwolf
Pelagic

Re: Photos from CCR Experience - Sunday, June 13th

Post by loanwolf »

limeyx wrote:
Joshua Smith wrote: For me, it was around 100 hours. I have to admit that, even after 300+ hours, I'm still not as good with it as I was on OC. Of course, maybe I just think I was better on OC than I really ever was.....
So I guess with only about 7.5 hours I should shut up and put up then! Sadly a lot of boats/charters are Open Circuit only down here (admittedly I have only seen this as a problem since I got the RB :)
Were is down here?
Greg
Life is Short do as Much as Possible in as Short of Period of Time as Possible.
limeyx
Aquaphile

Post by limeyx »

loanwolf wrote:
limeyx wrote:
Joshua Smith wrote: For me, it was around 100 hours. I have to admit that, even after 300+ hours, I'm still not as good with it as I was on OC. Of course, maybe I just think I was better on OC than I really ever was.....
So I guess with only about 7.5 hours I should shut up and put up then! Sadly a lot of boats/charters are Open Circuit only down here (admittedly I have only seen this as a problem since I got the RB :)
Were is down here?
'Sangeles.

Usually it is either

1) The boat/charter operation cites "liability" concerns.
2) The charter is a "DIR" charter and the MC is not recognized by some/many as "DIR" compatible despite that I have a complete set of doubles on my back and can donate a long-hose not much slower than I can on Open Circuit.

#1 was the situation a while back, and I haven't actually done that much recent research since local conditions have been kind of crappy.

We are hoping to get 13 diving days on the RBs in November in the Philippines though and I have a few trips coming up...
limeyx
Aquaphile

Post by limeyx »

Grateful Diver wrote:
gutholmj wrote:
limeyx wrote: Sadly a lot of boats/charters are Open Circuit only down here...
So they won't take CCR divers? Do they give a reason why?
Same reason some boats won't allow solo diving, I suppose ...

... ignorance ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
I dont think it's really ignorance. We have had a number of RB deaths over the years, probably more than merited by the number of RB divers.

I do think that most of those have also been either solo RB divers, or divers who were in a "team" but got in the water first and sank.

Given that, a couple of years back some boats/charters just decided they didn't need the additional perceived liability and could fill the boats easily enough without RB divers.
John Rawlings
I've Got Gills

Post by John Rawlings »

Hmmmm.....in the past at DEMA I spoke to a couple of dive operators in the Caribbean and the Pacific that will no longer take out rebreather divers, and it had nothing to do with deaths or liability. What it had to do with was damage to their boats. Apparently there are some CCR divers that don't realize that used sorb is caustic and didn't care where they dumped it or where it dribbled onto decks and such. Some divers even flushed it down into the marine heads. The operators that I spoke with were simply tired of caustic damage to their vessels that completely negated any profit that they would get from taking out rebreather divers....they really didn't like it, but all it took was one guy dumping his used sorb all over the place and they were screwed. For them it was purely a cost thing, simple as that.

I'm not saying that that is what is going on down where you are, because I don't know, but that is what they told me to my face about their operations.

- John
“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

http://www.advanceddivermagazine.com
http://johnrawlings.smugmug.com/
limeyx
Aquaphile

Post by limeyx »

John Rawlings wrote: I'm not saying that that is what is going on down where you are, because I don't know, but that is what they told me to my face about their operations.

- John
Interesting. I hadn't heard that in these parts but that may be a factor. Having said that, at least one boat owner was actually ticked off in the *other* direction about all of our "Open Circuit" tanks beating up his paint job :)

Ultimately it won't make a huge difference as I try to go on smaller 6-pack type boats as much as possible and these are more open to RB's, this year has just been really crappy (I have been blown out on at least 5 trips so far)

Of course if I was ready to tech dive the RB it would be easier but there is the chicken and egg situation!
loanwolf
Pelagic

Post by loanwolf »

limeyx wrote:
loanwolf wrote:
limeyx wrote:
Were is down here?
'Sangeles.

Usually it is either

2) The charter is a "DIR" charter and the MC is not recognized by some/many as "DIR" compatible despite that I have a complete set of doubles on my back and can donate a long-hose not much slower than I can on Open Circuit.

#1 was the situation a while back, and I haven't actually done that much recent research since local conditions have been kind of crappy.

We are hoping to get 13 diving days on the RBs in November in the Philippines though and I have a few trips coming up...
I have never really had a problem with getting on boats in CA with CCR, a few times yes but for the most part no problem. I found that it worked best for me when solo CCR to go out on bug dives. quite often the captain would let me drop in at site 1 and scooter solo to site 2 so I would get a nice 2 or 3 hr dive. Several of them made me tow a float so they could see my progress. If it is a tech dive their are usually always mixed CCR and OC DIR/GUE and their are several boats that go out every weekend and on some weekdays for tech dives and do not care who is on board as long as they are qualified for the dives. I am always laughing at the GUE guys who are working on ration deco as they are immediately pulling out the Doppler and measuring the bubbles in their blood to try and get out of the water 2 min faster. I have noticed that tech boats are harder to find up north of LA but their are a few small ones. On weekdays when the charter boats were not running I would hit the fishing bars and make friends with the local commercial fisherman and head out with them and had some great times doing that. They would take me to some really neat places and most time I got several days of free rides for helping to recover lost gear snagged on the bottom. You just have to open your horizons a little. Give me a few days and I will put a list of CCR friendly boats for you if you would like. No excuses for not getting time on the MC :pirate:
Greg
limeyx
Aquaphile

Post by limeyx »

loanwolf wrote:
limeyx wrote:
loanwolf wrote:
limeyx wrote:
Were is down here?
'Sangeles.

Usually it is either

I have never really had a problem with getting on boats in CA with CCR, a few times yes but for the most part no problem. I found that it worked best for me when solo CCR to go out on bug dives. quite often the captain would let me drop in at site 1 and scooter solo to site 2 so I would get a nice 2 or 3 hr dive. Several of them made me tow a float so they could see my progress. If it is a tech dive their are usually always mixed CCR and OC DIR/GUE and their are several boats that go out every weekend and on some weekdays for tech dives and do not care who is on board as long as they are qualified for the dives. I am always laughing at the GUE guys who are working on ration deco as they are immediately pulling out the Doppler and measuring the bubbles in their blood to try and get out of the water 2 min faster. I have noticed that tech boats are harder to find up north of LA but their are a few small ones. On weekdays when the charter boats were not running I would hit the fishing bars and make friends with the local commercial fisherman and head out with them and had some great times doing that. They would take me to some really neat places and most time I got several days of free rides for helping to recover lost gear snagged on the bottom. You just have to open your horizons a little. Give me a few days and I will put a list of CCR friendly boats for you if you would like. No excuses for not getting time on the MC :pirate:
hah! So I guess it was us that you were laughing at on the Burns trip with our "ration" deco new-fangled crap :) heh

it is a mixed-bag down here. Plenty of 25-30 person open water charters just dont want the hassle.

tech boats are usually more accepting (unless they are run by those uptight GUE/UTD types!!!)

I got some time on it this last weekend and will get it out sat, but have to put it away again for the deeper stuff on Sunday.

Managed a semablance of a free-ascent from 20feet 2 of 3 times this weekend, so thats progress, and am going to be taking it out as much as I feasibly can!
loanwolf
Pelagic

Post by loanwolf »

limeyx wrote:
loanwolf wrote:
limeyx wrote:
loanwolf wrote:
limeyx wrote:
Were is down here?
'Sangeles.

Usually it is either

hah! So I guess it was us that you were laughing at on the Burns trip with our "ration" deco new-fangled crap :) heh

it is a mixed-bag down here. Plenty of 25-30 person open water charters just dont want the hassle.

tech boats are usually more accepting (unless they are run by those uptight GUE/UTD types!!!)

I got some time on it this last weekend and will get it out sat, but have to put it away again for the deeper stuff on Sunday.

Managed a semablance of a free-ascent from 20feet 2 of 3 times this weekend, so thats progress, and am going to be taking it out as much as I feasibly can!
No not you guys. On the Marisa we usually have several doctors??? who are working the ratios and have a Doppler with them. Did you guys have a Doppler on the Burns? I missed it or I would have razed the hell out of you :neener:
Greg
limeyx
Aquaphile

Post by limeyx »

loanwolf wrote:
No not you guys. On the Marisa we usually have several doctors??? who are working the ratios and have a Doppler with them. Did you guys have a Doppler on the Burns? I missed it or I would have razed the hell out of you :neener:
Heh no Doppler. Only person I know for sure uses one in SoCal is Kendall, but I dont think he's a doctor :)

I wouldnt mind Dopplerizing myself but I am not sure what it would really tell me....