UTD Essentials

This forum is provided for the further edification of our club members seeking to improve their knowledge and diving skills. (recreational diving only)
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Re: UTD Essentials

Post by Joshua Smith »

Joshua Smith wrote:
BASSMAN wrote:Okay so is GUE and UTD related to each other?

GUE Fundamentals vs. UTD Essentials or UTD Fundamentals

:dontknow:

No. But Yes.

I'm standing on the sidelines with my face in my hands. I'm kind of amazed that we're having this conversation.

DIR is a diving philosophy, or school of thought.

GUE and UTD are training agencies that teach Team diving.

The main difference between them is that Brian and Jeanna teach for UTD. And aside from being awesome people, and friends of mine- not once, ever, anywhere, have I ever seen or heard any of their students offering unsolicited advice by telling someone else how to dive, or that they're "Doing It Wrong" or preaching on a street corner passing out pamphlets.

*ahem*
BASSMAN wrote:Me, PADI Rescue diver trained, and my personal experience in diving with DIR/GUE divers has been by far, some of the most educational dives I've known. Just a few tips goes a long way. If I could afford it ,I would seriously consider taking the GUE course. I have been told by a few other divers{Not DIR} that DIR means, if your not doing it like us, You're Doing It Wrong! And as far as I've seen, that is not the attitude I've personally experienced. I would like to get more opportunities to dive with DIR/GUE/Unified Team Divers/NWUE ect... I just hope some of them are open to dive on Thursdays!"You all must have known that statement was coming" I dive with the 7 foot long hose and a neclace just because I've experienced sharing air with some one else who dives that style. Then later, during my Rescue course, I had to do the whole out of air drill with my shorter Octo, and it was not very easy. {Compared to the Long hose}
I can't access the Yahoo part of the NWUE from work. ](*,)
I'm glad there are DIR/GUE/Unified Team Divers/NWUE out there to help make recreational diving safer too! And thanks for sharing your skills =D> =D> =D>

http://www.nwdiveclub.com/viewtopic.php ... 530#p59530

:smt064 :stir:
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
airsix
I've Got Gills

Post by airsix »

Joshua Smith wrote:
*ahem*
BASSMAN wrote:Me, PADI Rescue diver trained, and my personal experience in diving with DIR/GUE divers has been by far, some of the most educational dives I've known. Just a few tips goes a long way. If I could afford it ,I would seriously consider taking the GUE course.
"The place looked like a washing machine full of Josh's carharts. I was not into it." --Sockmonkey
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Thank god for pics in this thread!!! :supz: :supz: Carry on :popcorn:
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

Thanks for the explanations!
I just read some other good information on "The Dive Matrix" about UTD vs. GUE. So to answer Josh seriously, I have read and heard information about DIR,GUE and UTD and actually considered it to be anti-recreational training. And had absolutely Zero interest in it. But because of the basic flavor of Northwest diving, I see where many things are very good, towards diving our
less than perfect vis in the Puget Sound. I'm still not planning on going to the Tech side of diving. I have plenty of fun diving within recreational limits. But my questions are sincere and the one about what does GUE stand for was admittedly a, " I can't believe I just asked that!" because I did remember as soon as I read it, that I knew that before, but just failed to remember it because it was like Josh said, "referred to in some heated threads"
So as naive as these questions may look, I'm just thinkin' out loud and as usual, my questions always get answered here on this board. I just hope that it helps other divers who might be, browsing these threads, looking at pictures and often seeing the humor that makes this such a great board. so once again, Thank you NWDC! :notworthy:

Keith
Hi, my name is Keith, and I'm a Dive Addict! :supz:
nwbobber
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by nwbobber »

I am not amazed that we can have this conversation in a civil way, it is what I have come to expect from the people on this board. You all are a great bunch of people. I hope I get to dive with all of you at some point.
If you do not change direction, you may end up where you are heading - Lao Tzu
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

I think, if you talk to the folks who have had GUE or UTD training who are on this board (and there are quite a few) that you'd get a unanimous report that the training works really well for recreational diving. After all, good buoyancy control, control of your trim, the ability not to silt out a dive site, the ability to keep your buddy team together on ascent and descent, clear and unambiguous communication, and well practiced emergency procedures are just good diving. My husband makes that point frequently -- except for the gear configuration (and its effect on emergency procedures) and the use of lights for communication, the rest of what we learned in Fundies was stuff he learned in his original OW class, way back before the wheel was invented :)
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

LCF wrote:the rest of what we learned in Fundies was stuff he learned in his original OW class, way back before the wheel was invented :)
But they had Cobras!!
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
airsix
I've Got Gills

Post by airsix »

CaptnJack wrote:
LCF wrote:the rest of what we learned in Fundies was stuff he learned in his original OW class, way back before the wheel was invented :)
But they had Cobras!!
Peter's OW class didn't have Cobras silly. They used a mechanical dive computer back then. In fact a while back someone found Peter's first dive computer which he lost in Greece quite a few years ago. You can read about it here.
"The place looked like a washing machine full of Josh's carharts. I was not into it." --Sockmonkey
Peter Guy
Compulsive Diver

Post by Peter Guy »

Back in the day, when I had to walk uphill through the snow to get to my OW class and then back uphill through the snow to get home, we did NOT have Cobras, we did NOT have any stinkin' computers and we certainly didn't have any "octos" -- No-Sir-Re-Bob -- THOSE were the days when you learned how to dive!
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

airsix wrote:
CaptnJack wrote:
But they had Cobras!!
Peter's OW class didn't have Cobras silly. They used a mechanical dive computer back then. In fact a while back someone found Peter's first dive computer which he lost in Greece quite a few years ago. You can read about it here.

Awesome. The Antikytherera mechanism is one of my favorite things- I love mysteries and puzzles from antiquity- and the idea that some people were about 1800 years ahead of the curve.
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
limeyx
Aquaphile

Post by limeyx »

Peter Guy wrote:Back in the day, when I had to walk uphill through the snow to get to my OW class and then back uphill through the snow to get home, we did NOT have Cobras, we did NOT have any stinkin' computers and we certainly didn't have any "octos" -- No-Sir-Re-Bob -- THOSE were the days when you learned how to dive!
I heard they invented the Babbage Steam Engine the subsequent year though, but it was only available in a dive console and not wrist-mounted (and it only did straight Buhlman as it didn't have the computing power to do VPM on the fly)
airsix
I've Got Gills

Post by airsix »

Here is a photo of Peter and classmate doing OW checkout in the early 19th century.

For comparison purposes here is a exhibit depicting the nomadic John Rawlings diver of the later Paleolithic period. Notice the use of both forged and cast metal indicating a penchant for cutting-edge technology which remained his hallmark throughout the centuries. (Image provided courtesy Smithsonian National Museum of Natural History, Anthropology dept.)

(I only tease the people I respect the most)
Pez7378
I've Got Gills

Post by Pez7378 »

I love this Quote....
Norris wrote:Doing It Right = Don't ever stop learning, Improve your knowledge, Resist being a know-it-all :thumb3d:
Although, lately, I'm having trouble doing it at all. :angry:

And BEN! You sir, are in Rare form as of late! Funny Funny Funny. :rofl:
Bric Martin
Aquanaut

Post by Bric Martin »

airsix wrote:Here is a photo of Peter and classmate doing OW checkout in the early 19th century.

For comparison purposes here is a exhibit depicting the nomadic John Rawlings diver of the later Paleolithic period. Notice the use of both forged and cast metal indicating a penchant for cutting-edge technology which remained his hallmark throughout the centuries. (Image provided courtesy Smithsonian National Museum of Natural History, Anthropology dept.)

In that first picture Lynn must be in the lead. There is no way that her Ray-gun would be out of proper position! :)
Bric Martin

Save the Oceans, Save Ourselves!
RIP LCF
https://goo.gl/photos/tSdZZHXf4xejLBSz5
https://goo.gl/photos/fTCN7LuFvxWYF11e8
ORDiver
Aquanaut

Post by ORDiver »

blackwater wrote:
airsix wrote:Here is a photo of Peter and classmate doing OW checkout in the early 19th century.

In that first picture Lynn must be in the lead. There is no way that her Ray-gun would be out of proper position! :)
I love old John Rawlings photos and exhibits. He was a true pioneer. Just look at the determined look on his face.
Bric Martin
Aquanaut

Post by Bric Martin »

ORDiver wrote:
blackwater wrote:

I love old John Rawlings photos and exhibits. He was a true pioneer. Just look at the determined look on his face.
I believe that is John's tropical dive kit.
Bric Martin

Save the Oceans, Save Ourselves!
RIP LCF
https://goo.gl/photos/tSdZZHXf4xejLBSz5
https://goo.gl/photos/fTCN7LuFvxWYF11e8
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

blackwater wrote:
ORDiver wrote:I love old John Rawlings photos and exhibits. He was a true pioneer. Just look at the determined look on his face.
I believe that is John's tropical dive kit.
hm, i dunno. i don't see any wooden tanks and mastodon hide weight pouches.
BDub
I've Got Gills

Post by BDub »

I was out of town for a few days this week and haven’t had much time to reply to this.

Though the hijacks have started, I'd like to offer my .02

Jeanna and I have taken PADI, NAUI, UTD, NACD, TDI and IANTD courses, and we’ve each learned something from every class we’ve taken. We’ve taken more from some classes than others, of course, but that doesn’t mean it was due to bad or good instructors. It had more to do with what worked for us as students and divers.

UTD training is no different. Is it for everyone? No, nor is it designed to be.

Student’s have several responsibilities. The first is to research their training options and research each of those options to help them make a decision on what option best suits their needs or desires.

Instructors have several responsibilities as well. One of them is to teach their students new ideas, concepts, knowledge and skills, along with identifying weaknesses and helping the student strengthen those weaknesses. Our job is not to tell you how you have to dive, nor is it to teach you how to preach the gospel to others.

Another responsibility the student has is to have an open mind and give the new concepts, ideas and skills being presented in their training their best effort during the course of the class. After the class, it’s their responsibility to determine which of those ideas and skills work for them, and apply them to their own diving, as well as discard what doesn’t.

Most of our students that have taken training through us have done their research and decided this was the best option for them at that time. Because they’ve done their research, 99% of our students have come into the class with an open mind and have given their best effort, because they knew that was a responsibility they had.

Last, there are zealots in every activity, political view and religion. Diving is no different. However, our classes are tough, and they are not “pay and pass”. They require a constant 100% effort and perseverance from the student (and instructor) to achieve the level both the student and instructor are trying to attain. Because of this, there is a strong sense of accomplishment upon finishing the training and I think many times what is perceived as someone preaching the gospel or serving the fruity drink is actually a very enthusiastic diver who’s proud of his/her accomplishment, as they should be.

Let the hijacks continue....
http://www.frogkickdiving.com/

"It's a lot easier when you're not doing it" - CaseyB449

"There needs to be more strawberry condoms. Just not on my regulator" - DSteding
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

I know for a fact you serve fruity drinks frequently so stop denying it!!
BDub
I've Got Gills

Post by BDub »

CaptnJack wrote:I know for a fact you serve fruity drinks frequently so stop denying it!!
Those are vegetables!
http://www.frogkickdiving.com/

"It's a lot easier when you're not doing it" - CaseyB449

"There needs to be more strawberry condoms. Just not on my regulator" - DSteding
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

BDub wrote:Those are vegetables!
i think he was referring to the drinks, not the divers.
airsix
I've Got Gills

Post by airsix »

Eeeek! :eek: Cannibalism!