Boy Scouts Scuba Merit Badge

This forum is provided for the further edification of our club members seeking to improve their knowledge and diving skills. (recreational diving only)
nwbobber
Extreme Diving Machine

Boy Scouts Scuba Merit Badge

Post by nwbobber »

A friend of mine is a scoutmaster. He has a couple of boys who are interested in diving. He asked me to get some info for him.
Has any one here ever taken a group of boys in a class? I talked to one dive shop up in Vancouver, but I have zero knowledge of the instructors, so I would hesitate to send the boys that direction without further research.
It seems that BSA has some requirements as to the certifying agency, PADI, NAUI, SSI, SDI are OK, or anyone approved by WRSTC. The requirements for the boys are set by the agency, as far as age, depth limits, requirements for buddies etc. My friend said he would set the minimum age at 14, which I think is a good idea, in terms of maturity, and finding exposures suits to fit.
Anyone have any suggestions? Experience along these lines?

Here is a link to the requirements for the merit badge http://usscouts.org/mb/mb138.asp
If you do not change direction, you may end up where you are heading - Lao Tzu
Pinkpadigal
I've Got Gills

Re: Boy Scouts Scuba Merit Badge

Post by Pinkpadigal »

7 Seas Scuba in Vancouver has a Boy Scout program in place. I would give them a call.
Amy Rhodes
PADI Master Instructor #183890
A-2-Z Scuba Instruction
http://www.a2zscuba.com
nwbobber
Extreme Diving Machine

Re: Boy Scouts Scuba Merit Badge

Post by nwbobber »

Is there a specific scouting program through the certifiying agencies? The other dive shop I checked with said this would just be a group class, with a small discount.
If you do not change direction, you may end up where you are heading - Lao Tzu