intro to dive question

This forum is provided for the further edification of our club members seeking to improve their knowledge and diving skills. (recreational diving only)
spudgunman
Compulsive Diver

intro to dive question

Post by spudgunman »

I am curious as to the input to the following ..

I have a friend who really wants to try breathing underwater to see if they like diving, they dont have a exposure suit but dont mind the lake water temp, I suggested that we go to 7-10 ft in a swim area etc and have them check out underwater, weighting them and using a spare scuba type BC (lung inflate only life jacket thing) and giving them the chance to try it out.. I have no issues with basic first aid CPR and have damn good situation awareness and management

just wondering if I haven't considered things and should just tell them to check out a course at a shop.. they just don't want to pay and just want to test it out see if they freak out first.
Kelly(boy)
_____
Per TOS: I explicitly ask you to feel free to criticize me constructively or just because you want to pick on me.
girldiver
Compulsive Diver

Re: intro to dive question

Post by girldiver »

Please tell me your kidding...? I know it's not April 1st, but....
Cindy
http://www.scubashoppe.com -
Retail, Training, Travel and a Full Service Center: 130 Main Street, Auburn.
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

girldiver wrote:Please tell me your kidding...? I know it's not April 1st, but....
+1

Horrible, bad bad bad idea. The shallower you are, the more chance for a fatal expansion injury they have. I'd get into the physics, but it doesn't matter. This is a really bad idea and I hope you will seriously reconsider.

Enroll them in a Discover Scuba course... it's cheap, sometimes free, and it'll be with a qualified team who will ensure their safety. If you'd like a recommendation, PM me.

If you must let them try a regulator, have them put their face into a bucket of water or in the bathtub. DO NOT take them to depth, even what may seem like "just a few feet" can kill someone.
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
spudgunman
Compulsive Diver

Post by spudgunman »

scuba is my and would be his safe sport (given our normal physical abuse) so that didn't seem like that crazy of a idea.

I dont consider my self "crazy" with my safety or ignorance to others but totally - roger roger on the expansion holding breath and rapid assent I jsut thought I covered it all with him, just figured I was smart enough to accomplish this task but that is why I asked for input :)

I will just PM you or tell him to stick his head in the kiddy pool and search for doodie
Kelly(boy)
_____
Per TOS: I explicitly ask you to feel free to criticize me constructively or just because you want to pick on me.
spudgunman
Compulsive Diver

Post by spudgunman »

edited last post, used wrong grammar and it sounded like I was being a smart ass (had no intention of that)
Kelly(boy)
_____
girldiver
Compulsive Diver

Post by girldiver »

Look...just to avoid anything...I've got two Discover Scuba's scheduled for this month. I'd be happy to offer it for free rather than have any weird incident happen.

It's not that you're not "smart" enough...teaching scuba isn't rocket science...but for safety's sake and for him to have the best experience possible...would be happy to let him play games for a couple hours on scuba in a heated pool.

And I'm pretty darn good at creating scuba addicts...
Cindy
http://www.scubashoppe.com -
Retail, Training, Travel and a Full Service Center: 130 Main Street, Auburn.
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

spudgunman wrote:scuba is my and would be his safe sport (given our normal physical abuse) so that didn't seem like that crazy of a idea.

I dont consider my self "crazy" with my safety or ignorance to others but totally - roger roger on the expansion holding breath and rapid assent I jsut thought I covered it all with him, just figured I was smart enough to accomplish this task but that is why I asked for input :)

I will just PM you or tell him to stick his head in the kiddy pool and search for doodie
Seriously, don't do it. It'd "probably be ok," but if it wasn't he could very easily die. Why not do the whole thing - not only will it be much safer, but his experience and exposure to breathing underwater will be much more comprehensive and enriching.

I can recommend several instructors who will do this, and knowing them and their courses, it's definitely the way to go. Put it this way, I've got a ton of dives, I'm a DM and Assistant Instructor, I've helped with classes where this exact thing has been taught, and I've taken uncertified dive-students on experience dives where I was the only "authority" with them (as is the role of someone like me in some agencies).

Despite all this experience and training, I'd never take even my best friend (who, fortunately is finishing his Rec-triox here soon!) or a close family member to 10fsw to "experience it." I've had neighbors who have wanted to know what it's like... so I've filled a 5 gallon bucket, given them a mask and a reg, and had them plunge their head into the bucket to try it in my driveway... but that's as far as I'd go.

In most diving accidents/incidents, there are no second chances. If something goes slightly wrong, it could become "horribly wrong" in a heartbeat. It's just not worth it.

I'll be watching for your PM.
spudgunman
Compulsive Diver

Post by spudgunman »

haha I also need a 130 cylinder if I promise never to do this! :partydance: (kidding)

I will let him know but I will tell him he owes you all the same, I shot him a email already saying that we will stick to the pool in his yard if he chooses not to "discover" and I will throw a baby Ruth in the pool.

I promise for the sake of this group of fine people I wont ever do this :angelblue: I just didnt know if it was something "people did" so I asked before acting (dont think too bad of me)
Kelly(boy)
_____
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

spudgunman wrote:edited last post, used wrong grammar and it sounded like I was being a smart ass (had no intention of that)
No offense taken. Being inexperienced, I can see how this could seem benign and like "no big deal." I'm glad you asked. More than likely, there was at least one other person reading this who was thinking the same thing but didn't have the guts to ask... and now they have the same information you do.

NWDC is a great place to ask questions... so I'm glad you did. Please continue asking them, as stupid or as complex as they may seem. This is an extraordinary group of people who have an extremely well-rounded and comprehensive body of knowledge. We're very lucky to have this as a resource.
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

spudgunman wrote:haha I also need a 130 cylinder if I promise never to do this! :partydance: (kidding)

I will let him know but I will tell him he owes you all the same, I shot him a email already saying that we will stick to the pool in his yard if he chooses not to "discover" and I will throw a baby Ruth in the pool.

I promise for the sake of this group of fine people I wont ever do this :angelblue: I just didnt know if it was something "people did" so I asked before acting (dont think too bad of me)
Not trying to harp, but even a pool can be a fatal place. The physics of depth don't change just because it's a pool. Dunking his head just below the surface would probably be ok, but there would likely be temptation to go for more.

Dude, just do the free Discover Scuba thing Cindy is offering. I promise it'll be a MUCH better experience than anything you can do for him.
spudgunman
Compulsive Diver

Post by spudgunman »

haha yes I allready sent him the 411 on that

to be clear the pool is a plastic kiddy pool 7" deep and contains no infant warning like a 5g bucket (I know you are making a very good point just wanted to be clear I totally understand the depth and experience issue)
Kelly(boy)
_____
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

spudgunman wrote:haha yes I allready sent him the 411 on that

to be clear the pool is a plastic kiddy pool 7" deep and contains no infant warning like a 5g bucket (I know you are making a very good point just wanted to be clear I totally understand the depth and experience issue)
Sweet! FWIW - he'll have a lot more fun in a real pool with a real instructor... but I used a kiddie pool this summer. I even let my toddler fool around with a reg in it (another 5" deep one) though he just liked making it bubble by pushing the button.
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

Sounder wrote: NWDC is a great place to ask questions... so I'm glad you did. Please continue asking them, as stupid or as complex as they may seem.
Kelly ... meet the guy who asked more questions than you do when he was a new diver.

You two guys could be soul mates ... :partyman:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Grateful Diver wrote:
Sounder wrote: NWDC is a great place to ask questions... so I'm glad you did. Please continue asking them, as stupid or as complex as they may seem.
Kelly ... meet the guy who asked more questions than you do when he was a new diver.

You two guys could be soul mates ... :partyman:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
"Was new" like past tense??...
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
Acquatic
Avid Diver

Post by Acquatic »

I am just curious, what is fatal expansion injury?? And why it's in shallow waters? Shouldn't it be in depth? Coz pressure is more?
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

Acquatic wrote:I am just curious, what is fatal expansion injury?? And why it's in shallow waters? Shouldn't it be in depth? Coz pressure is more?
Sounds like you're talking about Arterial Gas Embolism, or AGE. It can happen in shallow water dives because of the pressure differential- at 33 fsw/ 10MWS, the pressure is doubled from sea level- at 66 fsw, it's 33% more, and so on- such that the differential between 132 fsw, or 5 ATA (Atmospheres Absolute), and 99 fsw, or 4ATA- is not that great. But when ascending, the greatest differential in pressure that a diver is exposed to is encountered between 2 ATA and 1 ATA- 33 fsw and 0 fsw. This will all be covered in your Open Water class, btw.
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
Acquatic
Avid Diver

Post by Acquatic »

Wow! this is so interesting... thanks for the info Joshua.
Dashrynn
I've Got Gills

Post by Dashrynn »

I took my pet frog on a dive once, turned out amphibious doesn't mean he can breathe at depth
Acquatic
Avid Diver

Post by Acquatic »

So did he die?
Dashrynn
I've Got Gills

Post by Dashrynn »

Oh yes very much so, croaky "croaked" good news is he made an excellent lab specimen at the local high school