any interest in a gas management seminar?

This forum is provided for the further edification of our club members seeking to improve their knowledge and diving skills. (recreational diving only)
ktb
I've Got Gills

Re: any interest in a gas management seminar?

Post by ktb »

lamont wrote:From Scubaboard on the thread about the recent fatality on the Yukon in San Diego:
I was on the Humboldt yesterday during the mishap. It was great dive conditions. 30 ft of viz, almost no surge. The bottom was at 110ft. The diver that died was using an aluminum 80 on air and was diving by himself. When his body was recovered he had no air left in his tank. The diver seemed intent on photography and was last seen some feet away from the Yukon looking at something in the sand.
Someone else posted that a DAN analysis found that 41% of diving fatalities involve divers running out of gas, which seems about right.
I can't believe a charter captain didn't say anything! (At least I assume this person was on a charter . . .)
Kelly
WylerBear
I've Got Gills

Post by WylerBear »

Dive_Girl wrote:
Grateful Diver wrote:How does Thursday, October 21 sound for a Tacoma date?

Nicole, I'd love to head back down to 7 Seas ... y'all were wonderful hosts last time, and there was a great turnout. Let's work out a time that's convenient for y'all and I'll make it happen ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Bob, you are the best as always! I will give you a call and talk dates! :)
I really hope I can make it to this class this time. We also have a guest room if you need a place to stay, Bob.
Georgia

NOT diving is NOT an option
lamont
I've Got Gills

Post by lamont »

ktb wrote: I can't believe a charter captain didn't say anything! (At least I assume this person was on a charter . . .)
He was a certified diver and chose to dive to ~100 foot, solo on an Al80. I don't think we really need more scuba police, telling people not to do that, we just need more educated divers.

And the flip side is to not rely on the charter captain or DM to make sure your dive plan is safe and makes sense. You are responsible for your own safety.
ktb
I've Got Gills

Post by ktb »

lamont wrote:
ktb wrote: I can't believe a charter captain didn't say anything! (At least I assume this person was on a charter . . .)
He was a certified diver and chose to dive to ~100 foot, solo on an Al80. I don't think we really need more scuba police, telling people not to do that, we just need more educated divers.

And the flip side is to not rely on the charter captain or DM to make sure your dive plan is safe and makes sense. You are responsible for your own safety.
Oh, I agree with you completely, but . . . but if you saw a fellow diver about to do this, would you ask about their plan? Not in an accusatory manner, but just out of frank curiosity about their sanity? I dove the Yukon in January, I'm still a relatively new diver and I would have asked. Maybe I'm just that tactless . . .
Kelly
oregondiver
Submariner

Post by oregondiver »

I would like to attend again Bob. THanks for your willingness to teach down here again.

And as the 3rd invite....we have room if you wanted to stay with us. 500 square ft room and private bath, all to yourself....not that I am trying to bribe you. :luv:
Discussing the Whites Fusion: "Looks like you are wearing a startrek leotard with bunched-up undies..." -Airsix

"fins are like shoes....you can never have enough pairs." -Lizard0924