question about naui cert

This forum is provided for the further edification of our club members seeking to improve their knowledge and diving skills. (recreational diving only)
thefreeviper
Just Settling In

question about naui cert

Post by thefreeviper »

so i hope im posting in the right place here. if im in the wrong area im sorry. but this past sat i went diving with a buddy. and when we got out he had noticed he had forgot his card at home. ( first time diving with this buddy). so he signed my log and said he would call me with his diver #. well he calls me back later that night and said his card does not have a cert # on there and that he thinks naui does not have one. so my question is is does naui have a diver # or did i make a huge mistake by not making sure he had a card first and hes dupping me??

i do know lesson learned though.
spatman
I've Got Gills

Re: question about naui cert

Post by spatman »

no mistake made. i'm pretty sure naui only has cert #s for instructors.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

I have 3 Naui cards and they do not have "certification numbers" on them. They track you by name and bday (& possibly SS number back before identity theft became rampent)
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
thefreeviper
Just Settling In

Post by thefreeviper »

ahh thank you. that makes me feel better.
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

thefreeviper wrote:ahh thank you. that makes me feel better.
Yup - I had a bunch of NAUI cards before my DM where I finally got a cert-number. It's only DM's and above... everyone else is just their names. I'm presently a NAUI-Pro and can speak to this as fact.
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
vbcoachchris
Dive-aholic

Post by vbcoachchris »

NAUI started issuing recreational numbers to students last year. Before that it was just at the professional level.

Scott
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

Does anybody still have their buddy sign a log? I have signatures for my OW dives, but my first dive after OW my friend with a few hundred dives just looked at me like I was nuts when I asked if he was going to sign my log so I dropped it. I've always felt like the purpose of the log was for me, not other people so why bother with someone signing it?
"Screw "annual" service,... I get them serviced when they break." - CaptnJack (paraphrased)

"you do realize you're supposed to mix the :koolaid: with water and drink it, not snort the powder directly from the packet, right? :smt064 " - Spatman
deep diver
Pelagic

Post by deep diver »

Ours have certification #'s, no pictures they are from 1983 so maybe they have changed that. my advanced 1984, also has numbers...no pictures
It's a good day.... nobody died!
eliseaboo
I've Got Gills

Post by eliseaboo »

Nwbrewer wrote:Does anybody still have their buddy sign a log? I have signatures for my OW dives, but my first dive after OW my friend with a few hundred dives just looked at me like I was nuts when I asked if he was going to sign my log so I dropped it. I've always felt like the purpose of the log was for me, not other people so why bother with someone signing it?
If I think of it sure. I always write down who my buddy was though. And if I'm DMing I try to have my students sign it, to avoid being "that guy" who looked at you like you were nuts :tomnic: Besides, I might actually want to prove my experience to an employer someday (something most divers don't have to worry about) so why not spend 2 seconds getting that signature?
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

None of mine have numbers. Then again I don't think I've had a reason to even look at them since I got them.
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

NAUI's new c-cards have numbers. As Scott mentioned, this is a very new process ... implemented during the past year or so. There is also an option to add a picture, although the cards don't come with one unless you request it and supply the pic you want on the card.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
spudgunman
Compulsive Diver

Post by spudgunman »

Nwbrewer wrote:Does anybody still have their buddy sign a log? I have signatures for my OW dives, but my first dive after OW my friend with a few hundred dives just looked at me like I was nuts when I asked if he was going to sign my log so I dropped it. I've always felt like the purpose of the log was for me, not other people so why bother with someone signing it?
I do, just because with some of you on this board I dive with instructors, for example I dove my first night dive the other day and had someone sign it who was a instructor. That will take care of the night dive for AOW some day, also I just like having that for the resume right now...

I can see after AOW I wont have casual buddies not sign logs, but if I went on a wreck dive or something to depth that is out of the normal (with experienced people) I would likely have buddies/instructor sign the logs. When I was in the Bahamas we did a 100ft wreck dive with real light penetration (huge cargo ship with this big hole thru it)* the DM asked the others to see their logs before he would let them swim as "not part of the big group" around the wreck to see they had experience with it

so that is my input... also just as a note on the O.P. I never have buddies put down cert numbers just have them sign it if its for experience proof. hell its easy to fake a log.. cant fake a eval dive! side note that PADI have #'s on all cards and mine came with a picture of me on it they didnt ask they just did.

*this was a case of not knowing what I didn't know this was before I found out about rock bottom etc, I wouldn't take this dive back for anything, but I also wouldn't go on this dive again today with out questioning the DM what if we have a emergency and making a decision from there, as for the penetration wreck before this thread gets jacked into my early experience foupas the wreck was hard overhead with a very clear path out.. and I didnt know at the time so keep on topic!
Kelly(boy)
_____
Per TOS: I explicitly ask you to feel free to criticize me constructively or just because you want to pick on me.
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

spudgunman wrote: I do, just because with some of you on this board I dive with instructors, for example I dove my first night dive the other day and had someone sign it who was a instructor. That will take care of the night dive for AOW some day, also I just like having that for the resume right now...
Actually, that's only true if you take your AOW with that instructor ... and even then it's up to their discretion.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Sabre_Rider
Frequent Bubbler

Post by Sabre_Rider »

My NAUI card has a cert # but it's back from the mid 80's to,
Watch the old comments!
Do you want to add years to your life, or life to your years?
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Sabre_Rider wrote:My NAUI card has a cert # but it's back from the mid 80's to,
Watch the old comments!
The number on there might be the instructor's number. My NAUI card from the early 90s has an instructor number which for a long time I thought was my cert number but its not.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

NAUI used to put numbers on their c-cards.

For a while they were using social security numbers ... :eek:

... there's still a place on the student folder for that, and I have to always remember to tell people that I DO NOT want their social security number on that folder.

Then for a number of years NAUI didn't put any number on the card except the instructor number.

Now there's a number again.

Times change ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

cardiver
I've Got Gills

Post by cardiver »

Grateful Diver wrote:NAUI used to put numbers on their c-cards.

For a while they were using social security numbers ... :eek:

... there's still a place on the student folder for that, and I have to always remember to tell people that I DO NOT want their social security number on that folder.

Then for a number of years NAUI didn't put any number on the card except the instructor number.

Now there's a number again.

Times change ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
My NAUI advanced card is from 12-93 and it has a number on it....... :rawlings:
-Ron T.
"When I'm 80 I'll take up real diving, which is done in a pub..." Ray Ives.
253-227-0856
My Dive Pics...
https://www.facebook.com/RETOPPPHOTOGRAPHY
Sabre_Rider
Frequent Bubbler

Post by Sabre_Rider »

CaptnJack wrote:
Sabre_Rider wrote:My NAUI card has a cert # but it's back from the mid 80's to,
Watch the old comments!
The number on there might be the instructor's number. My NAUI card from the early 90s has an instructor number which for a long time I thought was my cert number but its not.
Mine has both the instructor's number and my cert number, I know, I'm special! Or could it be it's an antique, hey maybe worth some money?
Do you want to add years to your life, or life to your years?
cardiver
I've Got Gills

Post by cardiver »

Mine says, PIN 12/93 and then a 5 digit number.
-Ron T.
253-227-0856
My Dive Pics...
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

cardiver wrote:Mine says, PIN 12/93 and then a 5 digit number.
cert date and instructor number I think. mine has something similar
cardiver
I've Got Gills

Post by cardiver »

CaptnJack wrote:
Yeah, I knew that was my cert date. I just assumed that the 5 digit number was mine, not my instructors.
After looking at my card I think it's time to order a new one........
-Ron T.
253-227-0856
My Dive Pics...
ktb
I've Got Gills

Post by ktb »

cardiver wrote:
CaptnJack wrote:
Yeah, I knew that was my cert date. I just assumed that the 5 digit number was mine, not my instructors.
After looking at my card I think it's time to order a new one........
Yeah, it must be tough lugging that stone tablet around. :neener:
Kelly
deep diver
Pelagic

Post by deep diver »

Our naui cards have name, certificate #, date, instructor # and instuctor name and they are from 1983... :rawlings:
It's a good day.... nobody died!
Geek
Pelagic

Post by Geek »

My PADI card has my name, photo, number, retina data, finger prints and DNA profile....... oh, ya and a number to call them if I want to give them more money :tomnic:
If I'm killed by the questions like a cancer,
Then I'll be buried in the silence of the answer.

http://www.tacomacomputersolutions.com

Life isn't like a box of chocolate's, life is like a box of chocolate and horse bisket's and no matter which one you get you have to keep on chewing...
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

question about naui cert

Post by Tangfish »

Even though I don't keep a paper logbook anymore, I think it's cool when someone has me sign theirs. I have some old logbooks with a bunch of notes, stamps and signatures from dive buddies from all walks of life. It's like a trip down memory lane to look through them. I still take some minor notes when I dive overseas, mostly so that I have the info for articles later. If I kept one here it would be "cove 2, cove 2, cove 2, muk, cove 2....".