Diving rules

This forum is provided for the further edification of our club members seeking to improve their knowledge and diving skills. (recreational diving only)
Maverick
I've Got Gills

Diving rules

Post by Maverick »

Is it just me or does it seem like the people that dive are nice and outgoing people? I have noticed that the people that dive are much more friendly and personable than say a group of bicyclist or tennis players or a mens softball team.

We really do experience a new world :bootyshake:
Maverick

Diving. . . is an active physical form of meditation. It is so silent- You're like a thought.

SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES. NOT REALLY GOOD FOR
ANYTHING, BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE
STAIRS.
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

I think it is because it is so "Buddy" dependent.
I cant think of another hobby where it is so important to have the right qualities to be someones "Buddy" in order to go and enjoy it and be safe while doing it. There has to be something said for literally trusting that "Buddy", will provide you life support ( Alternate Air) when you need it . And "be there" for other situations / emergencies.
This is truly a great hobby / sport !
:partyman:
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

I hear croquet folks are just plain mean :toimonster:

Just kidding. I do think that people who dive are generally good peeps to be around. I know that out of the hundreds of divers I've met, there were only a couple that I wouldn't care to know as friends. Some types of diving do seem to lead a few people toward being snob-ish. For instance, I like a lot of what DIR teaches, but some (and by 'some', I mean very few) of the folks who subscribe to that philosophy can get a bit condescending at times when others don't share their views (or just haven't been exposed to DIR yet).

I know that they probably act that way because, to them, we're all just asking for tragic deaths and endangering others by not diving with a 7' hose and redundancy everywhere. :dontknow:
Dave
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by Dave »

that's too funny Calvin :laughing8:
Yup, we have a good thing going with our group and we have been fortunate enough to welcome a lot of nice new people as we grow,,,let's keep it going....yep that means YOU TOO!!!! Join, Post, Dive, Enjoy!!!!
:partyman:
TAKE only pictures,,, LEAVE only bubbles...
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

What is D.I.R.?
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

It stands for "Do It Right", which I think relates to the unfortunate opinion of some of its subscribers that everyone else is "doing it wrong". DIR diving has resulted in a lot of improvements in the way things are done though, so it's worth learning about.

Read more on DIR
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

I'm new to diving (I think I start every post that way....gotta work on that....) So I don't know much about real-life DIR divers, but from what I've seen on the internet- the ones to watch out for are the brand-new, only have 27 dives and just finished their DIR-Fundamentals course divers. They can seem pretty fascist.
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

Nailer99 wrote:I'm new to diving (I think I start every post that way....gotta work on that....) So I don't know much about real-life DIR divers, but from what I've seen on the internet- the ones to watch out for are the brand-new, only have 27 dives and just finished their DIR-Fundamentals course divers. They can seem pretty fascist.
Totally.
da_jab
Aquaphile

Post by da_jab »

Now this topic is something that goes around on all the boards. Since it's late here in .fi I won't start raving about it much. But why is it that DIR/Hoghartian stuff is seen as a evil cult or a bunch of crazy ass diving nazis?
Now, I've got that type of diving gear all round and still I guess can be considered as a nice person ( Calvin and Dave can comment on this). I'm just wondering if I ever go and take that DIR-F class will I turn into the dark side and my hid-light starts to shine red colour? :pale:
Phew, it's too late gotta go to bed....good nite ppl.
What works, works!
--Sheck Exley
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

Well, I'm new....(oops) but it seems to me like DIR/ GUE have some great ideas, but my feeling is that the discipline is tooooo rigid. You can practically be excommunicated from the DIR church for asking if it's OK to wear your light on your right hand instead of your left hand, for example.

That said, I have some problems with PADI as well.....I think the curriculum is dumbed down for resort diver types, for example. I think learning gas management, like how to figure out how much air will last how long at a given depth, ought to be part of the OW class. Or at the very least, part of the AOW class. Yeah, sure you can go learn it yourself, but I just feel like it ought to be part of the curriculum.

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
DiverDown
I've Got Gills

Post by DiverDown »

Heres my 02psi, DIR as dajab has said can be a real touchy subject among the non DIR divers.. What happens on other boards is that this subject causes controversy and discontent... Why??? Sometimes people like to chime in and stir the pot a little bit.. What Ive noticed about this board and why I like this board the most is that we ALL just like to dive!!!!

We seem to always help each other out with advice, set up club dives, and generally have fun doing what we love.. The altruistic dive club.... :wav:
Who run barter town?
DiverDown
I've Got Gills

Post by DiverDown »

Nailer99 wrote:Well, I'm new....(oops) but it seems to me like DIR/ GUE have some great ideas, but my feeling is that the discipline is tooooo rigid. You can practically be excommunicated from the DIR church for asking if it's OK to wear your light on your right hand instead of your left hand, for example.

That said, I have some problems with PADI as well.....I think the curriculum is dumbed down for resort diver types, for example. I think learning gas management, like how to figure out how much air will last how long at a given depth, ought to be part of the OW class. Or at the very least, part of the AOW class. Yeah, sure you can go learn it yourself, but I just feel like it ought to be part of the curriculum.
I have some 600+dives under my belt and every single time i dive i learn something.. i see what types of gear people use, always on the web reading about diving.. what I do is take what i want and leave the rest.. i am a padi asst instructor and i dont like some of the things that padi is about.. same with naui ssi dir gue.. i like to use what works for ME!! the fundamentals of diving is pretty much all the same no matter what organization your are afiliated with.. You can take a advanced class with naui instead of padi.. I do believe that one of the founders of gue is now with naui i here that things are going more that style of teaching with that organization...
Who run barter town?
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

diverdown wrote:
I have some 600+dives under my belt and every single time i dive i learn something.. i see what types of gear people use, always on the web reading about diving.. what I do is take what i want and leave the rest.. i am a padi asst instructor and i dont like some of the things that padi is about.. same with naui ssi dir gue.. i like to use what works for ME!! the fundamentals of diving is pretty much all the same no matter what organization your are afiliated with.. You can take a advanced class with naui instead of padi.. I do believe that one of the founders of gue is now with naui i here that things are going more that style of teaching with that organization...
See, that's just a cool, openminded attitude. And that's what kind of diver, and person, I want to be. The whole "political" deal just seems stupid to me.

Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

diverdown has got the right attitude. I make it a point to get certifications from different instructors because every one of them has something else to offer, beyond the standards set forth by the particular agency (though I have to admit I've gone PADI all the way).
sparky
I've Got Gills

Post by sparky »

Ok here is my two boubles

First Off to answer EVERYONES question

What is D. I. R( Doing it right) ?

It is my thought that If you exit the water with the same amount OR in a resent case more divers then you had when you started the dive and every one is haveing a good time.

then Congratulations you are now a full fledgedD. I. R. DIVER

( Doing best Forest Gump Impression )

THATS THATS ALL I HAVE TO SAY BOUT THAT.

Sparky
A Smart Man
Learns from his mistakes

A Wise Man
Learns from the mistakes of those that have gone before him
Maverick
I've Got Gills

Post by Maverick »

Anyone is welcome to tell me they won't dive with me if i don't have 7ft hose, but thats cool because i have all you guys to dive with. :supz:

I have heard seen and experienced all ends of every type of diver from the Not certified scuba divers to the D.I.R divers working in a Dive shop, and I can tell you one thing is for sure, If the person likes diving they will not preach but teach. And if they did one thing right someone will have walked awy with a new veiw on diving.

I am Naui diver and I took a 6 month OW course and it included rescue techniques, we did drill after drill and swam laps and played underwater hockey and learned ari consumption and I am a beleiver in Naui over Padi, But Certain Padi instructors Recognize that some things that are not required by padi should be taught anyway and they chose to include it in their course. That makes for a good Padi Instructor.

I have more to say but will save it for the Club Dinner
Maverick

Diving. . . is an active physical form of meditation. It is so silent- You're like a thought.

SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES. NOT REALLY GOOD FOR
ANYTHING, BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE
STAIRS.
diver-dad
Compulsive Diver

Post by diver-dad »

Maverick wrote:Is it just me or does it seem like the people that dive are nice and outgoing people? I have noticed that the people that dive are much more friendly and personable than say a group of bicyclist or tennis players or a mens softball team.

We really do experience a new world :bootyshake:
Back to the original question, IMHO, there are relatively few sports where you place yourself in an unforgiving, hostile environment where you need to look to your buddy as someone who could likely save your life (and vice-versa). That takes a special kind of personality and breeds unspoken kinship and relationships (brotherhood / sisterhood).

You just don't find that in the more traditional passtimes that breed the competitive spirit: baseball, golf, tennis, racquetball, etc.. Those are sports I play and enjoy for entirely different reasons.
- DD

"Always do right -- this will gratify some and astonish the rest."
-Mark Twain