LDS or Independent Instruction?

This forum is provided for the further edification of our club members seeking to improve their knowledge and diving skills. (recreational diving only)
Peter Guy
Compulsive Diver

LDS or Independent Instruction?

Post by Peter Guy »

On another thread, the following statement was made:
I would highly recommend him or one of the other club instructors over a shop class.
This statement bothered (and bothers) me and I'd like to hear other people's thoughts.

I'm an independent instructor who is "affiliated" with one LDS and "affiliated" with an instructor group which is NOT affiliated with an LDS. I am also a member of two dive clubs.

When I teach an Open Water Class, the students just get me as their instructor. How they got to me is, I believe, irrelevant as to what they are going to learn or how I am going to teach them. It just doesn't matter if the class is held at the Dive Shop or in my Basement or at the student's home. What they get is the same.

I happen to like working with an LDS for several reasons, including more staff to help out (and to bounce ideas off of), easier access to a pool and I don't have to provide students with gear. I do hear stories about how shops won't give the instructors the time to teach the class properly -- but that has not been an issue for me. If that were to become an issue, I hope (and believe) I'd have the integrity to "Just Say No" and refuse to teach under conditions I felt weren't proper or sufficient.

Of the instructors I know, whether working for an LDS or by themselves, the important thing is that THEY decide what and how to teach.

So, should you take your Open Water Class through an LDS or from an Independent? That really depends on the instructor. What do you think?
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Re: LDS or Independent Instruction?

Post by CaptnJack »

I don't know the context of the quote but...
I suspect its more like "chose your instructor" vs. walk into some shop and say "I wanna learn how to dive where do I start?" There are too many loss leading $99 dollar specials out there who really don't do instructor's or student's justice. In that context I have a list of open water instructors I recommend to people, some of them I really don't know their current affiliations shop or agency-wise.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
Peter Guy
Compulsive Diver

Post by Peter Guy »

CaptJack -- the quote came from a thread where a new diver wanted to know about what gear to get. NWGrateful Diver had a very thoughtful and helpful response (as is expected from Bob) and a frequent poster then made the statement I quoted.

I do agree, "It is the instructor" that is the key, not how the student gets referred to the instructor.
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

In most shops I've been associated with, you not only don't get to choose your instructor ... or interview your instructor ... you often don't even know who your instructor will be until the class starts.

Sadly, the typical person who's wanting to learn how to dive usually doesn't know what to ask, or why it matters ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
ArcticDiver
I've Got Gills

Post by ArcticDiver »

Looking back at my short 11 years and the instructors I've had and watched I don't think it matters at the beginning diver level. The beginning diver doesn't know what needs to be learned, or the best teaching methods that will help the beginner learn them. Some independent instructors are outstanding. Others are just hard to get along with or can't fit into a situation where there is even an implied level of supervision. Shop instructors are subject to their own set of problems. However, instructors in both relationships can be and often are, if not outstanding, certainly competent to help the student learn.

On the other hand once a person gets some dives under their belt and has developed some specific goals it is important the student and the instructor have a conversation to make sure they are both on the same page. Student instructor match is more important that whether the instructor is affiliated with a shop. In this regard personalities are very important. My bias, and that is just what it is, is that most of the time other things being equal a shop affiliated instructor is to be preferred over an independent instructor. My bias comes from seeing something happen when dealing with a solo instructor where the instructor was not able, or willing, to complete the course of instruction. Since the contract was with the shop the shop was able to provide another instructor and not leave the student in the lurch.
The only box you have to think outside of is the one you build around yourself.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Grateful Diver wrote:In most shops I've been associated with, you not only don't get to choose your instructor ... or interview your instructor ... you often don't even know who your instructor will be until the class starts.
I guess this is why most of us recommend actual persons vs. generic "shop instructors"
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
kdupreez
I've Got Gills

Post by kdupreez »

I posted in the "Other" thread and I guess I should have posted it here.. but I wont repeat it here, my 2psi is over in the other thread..

http://www.nwdiveclub.com/viewtopic.php ... 89#p171494

"I believe that if life gives you lemons, you should make lemonade... And try to find somebody whose life has given them vodka, and have a party" - Ron White
ArcticDiver
I've Got Gills

Post by ArcticDiver »

I hadn't read the other thread. Thanks for posting the link. The post is a well stated position on a recurring subject that, I suspect will continue to be discussed.

Learning is a life long endeavour. I do my best to learn from everyone, not just instructors, and try to encourage others to do the same. A person can learn from even those people who have pre-judged you and as a result treat you badly and gossip about you.
The only box you have to think outside of is the one you build around yourself.
Acquatic
Avid Diver

Post by Acquatic »

Grateful Diver wrote:In most shops I've been associated with, you not only don't get to choose your instructor ... or interview your instructor ... you often don't even know who your instructor will be until the class starts.

Sadly, the typical person who's wanting to learn how to dive usually doesn't know what to ask, or why it matters ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
I totally agree with Bob. If i take my example, at this point where i have never tried scuba diving, i don't even know if scuba is for me and i will do it for ever. So in that scenario my first learning experience is just a trial for myself and not an actual learning learning thingie. I would say once i do the certification and start doing some basic diving with the LDS, i will know if i want good instruction down the line.

Btw, i started the "Other" thread and it has tonnes of good info.
Blaiz
Pelagic

Post by Blaiz »

This summer i walked into a shop and said I wanna learn to dive, where do I start?

Whether that worked out... well, I sure think it did. *grin*
The student was ready.

it's nice to have low expectations, sometimes - lcf

I said keep going, not start whining -airsix
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Like me, for example. If I had to do it all over again, I would choose a different path, but that 129.99$ promotion opened up a huge world to me. Is that good or bad? I honestly don't have an answer that fits for that question. My impression is that the vast majority of people I was in my OW class with were punching out a cert so they could go somewhere tropical and dive. From my own experience, talking to people I meet here in Seattle, there are a whole bunch of people who dive once a year or so, when they go to Hawaii or whatever. And that's fine by me- they seem to enjoy it.

That class didn't really prepare me- or anyone else- to dive locally. I mean, the basics were all there, but it's much, much, harder to dive in Puget Sound than it is to dive in, say, Cozumel. I know that a better, more expensive class from a private instructor would have given me better tools to start with, but what any new diver really needs is more experienced buddies to help them along.
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."