Fish Fridays!

This forum is provided for the further edification of our club members seeking to improve their knowledge and diving skills. (recreational diving only)
nwscubamom
I've Got Gills

Fish Fridays!

Post by nwscubamom »

Never seem to be able to work the 4 hour REEF Fish ID courses into your busy schedule? How about breaking it up into smaller 45 minute chunks and taking the courses online in the comfort of your own home? Great for first-timers or those wanting a review. These short, free webinars will teach you the finer points of identifying our local Pacific NW fish underwater. :joshsmith:

Friday, April 15th, 7pm - Rockin' Rockfish :supz:
Friday, April 15th, 8pm - Sensational Sculpins :taco:
Friday, April 29th, 7pm - The Glorious Gs: Gunnels, Greenlings, Gobies and more :partydance:
Friday, April 29th, 8pm - The Weirdos: Flatfish, Odd-looking fish, (and Perch) :nutty:

More info and links to registration available here:
http://www.pnwscuba.com/critterwatchers/classes.htm

- Janna :)
Janna Nichols
My underwater photo galleries
REEF Citizen Science Program Manager
Seen any cool critters lately?
><((((°>
-----------------------------
dwashbur
I've Got Gills

Re: Fish Fridays!

Post by dwashbur »

Sounds good, but I suspect virtual M&M's aren't going to have much flavor.........
Dave

"Clearly, you weren't listening to what I'm about to say."
--
Check out my Internet show:
http://www.irvingszoo.com
nwscubamom
I've Got Gills

Post by nwscubamom »

I know!! Sadly, you're right on that point. But this isn't the only way to get your Fish ID geek on. You can still take classes, live and in person, from your local field station (there's a bunch of them all over the NW).

BUT, you could always go out and buy your own M&Ms and use the online class as an excuse to down a pack of them without feeling guilty (it's for science!!) And, where else can you sit through class in your jammies sipping a nice cup o' tea?

It DOES have its advantages!

Janna Nichols
><((((°>
airsix
I've Got Gills

Post by airsix »

"The place looked like a washing machine full of Josh's carharts. I was not into it." --Sockmonkey
dwashbur
I've Got Gills

Post by dwashbur »

nwscubamom wrote:I know!! Sadly, you're right on that point. But this isn't the only way to get your Fish ID geek on. You can still take classes, live and in person, from your local field station (there's a bunch of them all over the NW).

BUT, you could always go out and buy your own M&Ms and use the online class as an excuse to down a pack of them without feeling guilty (it's for science!!) And, where else can you sit through class in your jammies sipping a nice cup o' tea?

It DOES have its advantages!

You're assuming I need an excuse to stuff myself with M&Ms! Feeling guilty doesn't enter into the equation :angelblue:
Dave

"Clearly, you weren't listening to what I'm about to say."
--
Check out my Internet show:
http://www.irvingszoo.com
nwscubamom
I've Got Gills

Post by nwscubamom »

Bumping this up - Fish Fridays start tonight!
We've got lots of people signed up, so it should be fun. If you find yourself with a free schedule tonight, and want to join in, you still can. I can take up to 1000 people! So I don't think I need to worry about it being full. :tomnic:

Links to register are here:
http://www.pnwscuba.com/critterwatchers/classes.htm

Classes are FREE and SHORT! (only 45 min per class)
Tonight we'll hit the Rockfish at 7pm, and then the Sculpins at 8pm. Each class is separate, so if you want to attend both, you'll need to sign up for each one individually.

Hope to see you there!

- Janna :partydance:
Janna Nichols
><((((°>
Lonestar
Compulsive Diver

Post by Lonestar »

Great classes! Thanks!
Tim McClung

22nd Annual Scott Firefighter Stair Climb, support it: http://www.llswa.org/site/TR/Events/Big ... fr_id=1280
nwscubamom
I've Got Gills

Post by nwscubamom »

What a fantastic turnout last night! We had 30 people sitting in on the rockfish session, and 25 on the sculpins. Valerie, Tom Nic and Todd Cliff did a great job of helping both sidetrack me (and make me laugh) as well as bring up points to share with the students - thanks you guys!!

It turned out to be lots of fun (at least I thought so) and fairly interactive. Looking forward to upcoming Fishinars!

- Janna
Janna Nichols
><((((°>
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

So... this was WAY COOL!

This was my first exposure to this medium, and it worked very well as interactive way to present the material. Janna of course was great - as always. The subject matter (id'ing fishies) seems to lend itself to the "ppt and funny/interesting person talking" format.

You could type questions and general harrassment in (see Janna's post) and thus interact with the presenters, yet there was control over the window from the presenters end so that your window didn't fill up with the random craziness of the attendees and their witty reparte.

I'm not sure of the cost to REEF, but this seems to me to be a great way to get the info out to a larger audience, promote REEF and surveying a bit, and thus enhance the diving enjoyment of bunches of PNW divers.

I wonder - could a fishinar be recorded and made available for viewing and download on the REEF or some other website? Upside downside?

Anyway, congrats on the first run, and I hope this can be pursued more in the future!

- Tom
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman