Repetitive Diving - Safety

This forum is provided for the further edification of our club members seeking to improve their knowledge and diving skills. (recreational diving only)
johnclark
Aquaphile

Repetitive Diving - Safety

Post by johnclark »

Hello all, I've tried my best googling this subject matter with little luck finding an article that tells me something more then a rule of thumb, which by the way all say something different. As many of you know I'm new to SCUBA and I've been diving like a mad man ever since being certified. How often in terms of consecutive days can I dive safely? Most days I dive once doing two dives in one day occasionally on the weekend.

Anyway, do any of you know any articles that shed some light on this matter? All of my dives are well within recreational limits with no deco, and appropriate safety stops, breathing air. Thanks.
spatman
I've Got Gills

Re: Repetitive Diving - Safety

Post by spatman »

it really depends on how many dives per day, to what depth, dive runtimes, and the mix you are breathing. but generally speaking you should be fine at 2 recreational level dives per day, ad infinitum.

if you want to take a closer look, you could simulate a dive plan over consecutive days of diving by using tables or a software planner. use long surface intervals between days, e.g. you end your 2nd dive monday at 3pm and start diving tuesday at 9am for an SI of 18hrs.
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

Well.....I don't think you really have much to worry about. You might want to think about getting a nitrox cert, though. Do you dive a computer, or tables? AFAIK, all dive computers track tissue loading over multiple days....but if you're diving no deco within the limits, I wouldn't really worry about diving every single day for a month or more....and that's not easy to do.
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

As in how many days can you do one dive a day in a row? That's pretty modest. I would easily do weeks of that level of diving if I could without batting an eye. DMs in the tropics do that for months at a time while most of us have done 3 dives a day for a week plus on holiday many times. You're biggest risk factor for DCS in this situation is dehydration (from mammalian reflexes and/or outside temps) not the actual number/frequency of dives.

18 to 23hr SIs are basically group A on any table so you are pretty much completely "resetting" overnight.

And what they said, nitrox
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

On my vacations I commonly log 25-30 dives in a week without problems ... most of those in excess of 1-hour per dive ... nitrox is your friend ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

Grateful Diver wrote: ... nitrox is your friend ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Voodoo gas
**Pinch it, don't stick your finger through. You're just pinching a bigger hole.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
Waynne Fowler
I've Got Gills

Post by Waynne Fowler »

Norris wrote:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Voodoo gas
geezer gas
Ripper of drysuits, mocker of divers...there are no atheist divers in a mistimed Deception Pass dive. Jeremy
loanwolf
Pelagic

Post by loanwolf »

Waynne Fowler wrote:
Norris wrote:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Voodoo gas
geezer gas

HAHAHAHA
Greg
Life is Short do as Much as Possible in as Short of Period of Time as Possible.
johnclark
Aquaphile

Post by johnclark »

Sweet, I guess I was worrying about nothing. :nutty: After looking through my log book I did 9 dives in the past 7 days, diving every day, taking Wednesday and today (Thursday) off. I quickly calculate all my dives with the PADI tables in an effort to try and burn it into my brain but follow my computer which is based on the Palagic DSAT algorithm. I do plan on taking my NITROX course with Bob :smt064 and it seems like NITROX is going to be an expensive habit. I could only imagine how bad Trimix will be. Maybe it's not to late to get out of SCUBA and save my credit card from nuclear meltdown. Who wants to buy my Halcyon crab cuffs and measuring tool?
airsix
I've Got Gills

Post by airsix »

Nitrox won't be an expensive habit if you buy an all-you-can-eat fill card. With as many dives as you are doing that would be much cheaper than buying air fills one at a time. "Nitrox from Bob" = 2x win.
"The place looked like a washing machine full of Josh's carharts. I was not into it." --Sockmonkey
Penopolypants
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Penopolypants »

airsix wrote:Nitrox won't be an expensive habit if you buy an all-you-can-eat fill card. With as many dives as you are doing that would be much cheaper than buying air fills one at a time. "Nitrox from Bob" = 2x win.
Sadly, there are great shops to the north and south that offer them, but only one within the city limits of Seattle that I know of, and it's a shop that I'm reluctant to use or recommend.

I've been working on the UWS staff to start offering such a program now that they're banking nitrox, and their advice has been to keep pestering management.

I would much rather pester Tacoma Scuba into opening a "Al Quaida Wahabi Somalia Cannibal Scuba" in Seattle!
Come to the nerd side, we have pi!
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

Interestingly, DAN has studied DCS cases on liveaboards (kind of the ultimate in repetitive dive/repetitive day diving) and DCS cases are more frequent on the first day or so of the trip! Not what one would expect, but it goes along with the folks who think there is some component of crushing bubble nuclei at depth.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

LCF wrote:Interestingly, DAN has studied DCS cases on liveaboards (kind of the ultimate in repetitive dive/repetitive day diving) and DCS cases are more frequent on the first day or so of the trip! Not what one would expect, but it goes along with the folks who think there is some component of crushing bubble nuclei at depth.
I wonder if that might not have more to do with the condition of the divers on their first liveaboard day ... factors including fatigue, dehydration and lack of recent diving ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
camerone
Submariner

Post by camerone »

There is also the concept of hyperoxic myopia (see http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10353183 for the abstract.) Not likely on someone blowing open circuit bubbles to have happen, but for those of us diving rebreathers on a live aboard or over an intensive week of shore diving, it does become a real possibility.

It's a good reason to both dial back your ppO2 for intensive, repetitive diving, as well as realize that deco/o2 toxicity theory that you get taught is just that - empirical observation with a model applied to fit the data points, and not fact in any way, shape, or recognizable form.
There are no stupid questions, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots...
wallyc72
Dive-aholic

Post by wallyc72 »

="Penopolypants"]

I would much rather pester Tacoma Scuba into opening a "Al Quaida Wahabi Somalia Cannibal Scuba" in Seattle!
???? What does this mean ???
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Re: Re: Repetitive Diving - Safety

Post by Joshua Smith »

wallyc72 wrote:
="Penopolypants"]

???? What does this mean ???
It's a joke from another thread. Nothing but love for you guys.
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
wallyc72
Dive-aholic

Post by wallyc72 »

airsix wrote:Nitrox won't be an expensive habit if you buy an all-you-can-eat fill card. With as many dives as you are doing that would be much cheaper than buying air fills one at a time. "Nitrox from Bob" = 2x win.
We offer "all you can breath monthly nitrox".

We have a few different options for air and nitrox.
Here they are.

Air fill = GREAT DEAL!
Monthly all you can breath air = AWESOME DEAL!
Yearly all you can breath air = WICKED RETARDED DEAL!
The monthly and yearly air programs are PER DIVER NOT PER TANK.

Nitrox fill = AWESOME DEAL!
10 fill nitrox punch card = WICKED RETARDED DEAL!
Monthly all you can breath nitrox = IF you dive HALF as much as Greatfull Diver....WE LOSE ON THIS DEAL!
Yearly all you can breath nitrox = REALLY WICKED AWESOME DEAL!
These nitrox prices are for UP TO 40% fills.
The monthly and yearly nitrox programs are PER DIVER NOT PER TANK.

Nitrox fills over 40% and Tri Mix fills are PER CUBIT FEET.

We BANK 21%, 32%, and 40%.
We have O2, Helium, and Argon.

Air tests are performed quarterly. We make O2 compatible air.

If you have not been to the shop, stop by for a tour of our compressor system.

Before people get fired up with, I get my air free at......
We DO NOT GIVE "FREE" air fills. Our regular customers are happy with our prices.
We have invested A LOT of Time and Money in our system. The Maintenance prices to keep a system like this running to OUR standards is a nice chunk of change. LOL

THIS NEXT PART OF THE POST IS MEANT TO BE FUNNY!

I'm going to tell ya all what my BIGGEST pet peeve is about fills. :angry: Its probably going to come back to bite me in the @$$!

Here's the Question I ask What you want in this tank?
THE ANSWER that DRIVES ME NUTS...... What ever your pumping. WHAT?!? We BANK TONS O GAS! We CAN MAKE ANY MIX you would want to BREATH OR DIVE.

Here's how I would LOVE it to go!!
I ask, What you want in this tank?
Your answer..... I WANT 32%. I WANT 36%. I WANT....... you get the Idea. :rofl:
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

BTW, if anybody DOESN'T have a monthly/yearly fill card because they don't think they'll save money -- think of it this way. Remember the dive where your suit was leaking and you called it early, and came home only having used a third of a tank? Didn't it hurt to pay a full fill price to top off that tank? NOT ANY MORE . . . !
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
loanwolf
Pelagic

Post by loanwolf »

wallyc72 wrote:

Here they are.

Air fill = GREAT DEAL!

Monthly all you can breath nitrox = IF you dive HALF as much as Greatfull Diver....WE LOSE ON THIS DEAL!

We DO NOT GIVE "FREE" air fills. Our regular customers are happy with our prices.
We have invested A LOT of Time and Money in our system. The Maintenance prices to keep a system like this running to OUR standards is a nice chunk of change. LOL

I'm going to tell ya all what my BIGGEST pet peeve is about fills. :angry: Its probably going to come back to bite me in the @$$!

THE ANSWER that DRIVES ME NUTS...... What ever your pumping. WHAT?!? We BANK TONS O GAS! We CAN MAKE ANY MIX you would want to BREATH OR DIVE.

It is a great system I remember when it was at Randy's house and it was not even as set up as it is now.
Greg
Life is Short do as Much as Possible in as Short of Period of Time as Possible.
eliseaboo
I've Got Gills

Post by eliseaboo »

wallyc72 wrote:

Here they are.

Air fill = GREAT DEAL!

Time stamp: 2:01am. :smt064
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

eliseaboo wrote:Time stamp: 2:01am. :smt064
have you met wally?
wallyc72
Dive-aholic

Post by wallyc72 »

spatman wrote:
eliseaboo wrote:Time stamp: 2:01am. :smt064
have you met wally?
I don't really sleep too much. My life is a series of short naps.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

eliseaboo wrote: Time stamp: 2:01am. :smt064
in your time zone ;)

12:01am here
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

CaptnJack wrote:
eliseaboo wrote: Time stamp: 2:01am. :smt064
in your time zone ;)

12:01am here
my time stamp says 1:01am. probably a combo of time zones and whether you have enabled Daylight Saving Time in your UCP.
Geek
Pelagic

Post by Geek »

I never do anything where one hour either way makes a difference... keeps me sane-ish
If I'm killed by the questions like a cancer,
Then I'll be buried in the silence of the answer.

http://www.tacomacomputersolutions.com

Life isn't like a box of chocolate's, life is like a box of chocolate and horse bisket's and no matter which one you get you have to keep on chewing...