Dumbbells and Diving

This forum is provided for the further edification of our club members seeking to improve their knowledge and diving skills. (recreational diving only)
ArcticDiver
I've Got Gills

Dumbbells and Diving

Post by ArcticDiver »

I've always looked at water aerobics classes as the province of the old, feeble and fat. That is who I've seen as I've traveled around the country and stayed at a variety of places. But, needing extensive rehab and with the urging of my spouse I agreed to try the class at our hotel.

They gave me a set of foam dumbbells for our exercises. These little torture devices come in a variety of sizes and colors. (No black though). Standing in water between 3 1/2 and 4 1/2 feet deep and doing all the stuff a person would do on land with metal dumbbells is fairly easy and while good for strength isn't really much of a challenge to anyone in even half-way decent shape. But, with a frown from my spouse I persisted.

Then we got into skiing, balancing on the dumbells. Using them like hanging rings in gymnastics. Doing suspended ab crunches, leg thrusts, rocking horses, side thrusts, etc. Balancing on two pieces of foam while doing all the gymnastic maneuvers one would see on TV, or simulating skiing while suspended is Tough. Body control is easier every time. I have no doubt that by the time my rehab is complete my transition back to scuba is going to be a lot easier than had I not done these classes.

Bottom line: I'm a Convert. Not only a Convert but a Spreader of The Word. Get a couple foam dumbbells. Bigger is better. Try them. Better yet find a water aerobics class taught by someone knowledgable who has a pleasantly vicious streak. You'll love it. I do.
The only box you have to think outside of is the one you build around yourself.
Alexitt
Submariner

Re: Dumbbells and Diving

Post by Alexitt »

Not quite sure what the post title implied... But really glad it's working for you and you're cruising back on the road to recovery!!!

:partydance: :partydance: :partydance:
-Alex-

"so in the interest of advising something...let's see..."the early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese!" -Eliseaboo

ArcticDiver
I've Got Gills

Post by ArcticDiver »

Thanks for the good wishes.

This has been a life changing, not life ending event and follow-on evolution. The end is not yet in sight. It is a daily grind to keep from hurting those who say: "You are doing great for your age" when most people of any age are in lousy physical condition, or so I've observed. It is a daily challenge to overcome and to do the exercise I know I need and whose outcome I'm looking forward to.
Alexitt
Submariner

Post by Alexitt »

I do sympathize... I've been dealing with a couple of crushed discs and a couple of herniated discs for 20+ years now and I truly do know how the road back winds... It may slow a body down but you just can't let it keep you down, Glad it's working for you... I'm 52 and hope to have many more years of this diving stuff though I got a pretty late start... Best of luck to you and keep up the good work...
-Alex-

"so in the interest of advising something...let's see..."the early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese!" -Eliseaboo

ArcticDiver
I've Got Gills

Post by ArcticDiver »

Alexitt wrote:I do sympathize... I've been dealing with a couple of crushed discs and a couple of herniated discs for 20+ years now and I truly do know how the road back winds... It may slow a body down but you just can't let it keep you down, Glad it's working for you... I'm 52 and hope to have many more years of this diving stuff though I got a pretty late start... Best of luck to you and keep up the good work...
When I started this unwanted journey I was told mental attitude was very important. Now that I'm a few months along and have met many people who have experienced similar issues I agree. I've found that those with positive, never give up, mental attitudes fare far, far better than those who do not.

Encouragement from people like you and the others on this forum really help in maintaining the postive attitude.

As a result I have a realistic expectation that in a few months I can again scuba. I have been cleared medically. Now what I'm waiting on is to be strong enough to carry the equipment, fin distances and have the endurance to handle the unexpected.

By the way, you didn't start late. You started right on time; for you.
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

Never Twist, Never Twist, Never Twist!
At least while lifting anything. (that's where I have always re-injured myself)
I have some severe nerve damage, as a result of my back injuries / surgeries.
You are so, right on, about the positive attitude thing.
I'm litterally in pain, 24/7, Taking no narcotics or other illeagal or "federally illeagle" drugs.
But I always tell myself and others around me, "It could be, so much worse, at least I still have feet and can still work, walk and scuba dive."
Keep going and a little bit of prayer goes a long way, too! :supz:
Let me know when I can come up there and dive with you! :smt064

Saying a prayer for you buddy! :bye:

Keith.
Hi, my name is Keith, and I'm a Dive Addict! :supz:
pogiguy05
I've Got Gills

Post by pogiguy05 »

As a fellow diver and lower back pain person as well. I am almost afraid to say I have not had any issues with my lower back pain for I think 2 years now. I have had sciatic nerve pain and once had to take a wheel chair to the doctor cause I could not stand up straight. I have not had any surgeries and would do almost anything to NOT have them. I hope that you are able to get back to diving as I am sure you miss it alot. :taco: <<<this to me looks painful to do and not gonna try it
Jeff Castor
Penopolypants
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Penopolypants »

I started doing water aerobics when I had problems with my hip - it's definitely a workout that can be fairly benign, but can also be incredibly hard if you put your back into it. I was pleasantly surprised. Those dumbbells seem like toys until you really shove them (and yourself) around in the water.
Come to the nerd side, we have pi!
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

"Dumbbells and Diving" could mean something so much different, huh?
Hi, my name is Keith, and I'm a Dive Addict! :supz: