WTB: PADI AOW Book

This forum is provided for the further edification of our club members seeking to improve their knowledge and diving skills. (recreational diving only)
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Re: WTB: PADI AOW Book

Post by Nwbrewer »

WylerBear wrote:You know, I get a bit tired of this. I am a PADI Instructor and I like to think that when I teach a class, I impart a modicum of knowledge. As has been said many, many times on this board, it's the instructor, not the course or the agency that makes a difference. No doubt about it, Bob gives one of the best AOW classes around. But that isn't to say a diver wouldn't learn something from a PADI AOW. It would just be different.
I believe that "Advanced" Open Water is a misnomer for at least the PADI course in many ways. But it does expose a student to different environments and dive situations and allows the student to benefit from the experience and knowledge of an instructor. I don't know the OP, maybe a PADI AOW would be a waste of his time, but maybe not. I was a fairly new diver when I did my PADI AOW and I learned a lot. Might be different for others.
Just my 2 cents.
Maybe I missed it, but I didn't see any PADI bashing in this thread. The OP stated that he felt that the AOW class he was signed up for was going to be a "formality" to have access to some dives he wanted to do. I don't care what agency it's with, that's just wrong.

People provided some recommendations on for a few particular INSTRUCTORS (not agencies) that they believed would provide a better value for the OP's money. Peter's AOW course is a PADI course, while I haven't taken it, I've met some divers who have been through it, and from their skills and knowledge I have to assume it's superior to the standard "5 dives here's your card" AOW class that many people wind up with around here.

Why NOT recommend a course that you feel is a better value for someones time and money? What would your answer be to a potential student who asked why they should do AOW with you rather than PADI dive shop X down the street? My guess is it's the same argument for why people here are recommending Bob, Brian, Peter, or one of the other instructors on the board that we know delivers good return on class investment.

What I'm tired of is people coming out to dive at a weekly dive with 15 dives and a "rescue" card who never should have been let out of a pool. If given the opportunity to steer someone away from such a curriculum, I'm going to take it.

Just my 2psi.

Jake
"Screw "annual" service,... I get them serviced when they break." - CaptnJack (paraphrased)

"you do realize you're supposed to mix the :koolaid: with water and drink it, not snort the powder directly from the packet, right? :smt064 " - Spatman
Linedog
I've Got Gills

Post by Linedog »

+1 Its the instructor not the course.
Pop tarts and gravy,
It's what's for breakfast.
WylerBear
I've Got Gills

Post by WylerBear »

Nwbrewer wrote:
WylerBear wrote:You know, I get a bit tired of this. I am a PADI Instructor and I like to think that when I teach a class, I impart a modicum of knowledge. As has been said many, many times on this board, it's the instructor, not the course or the agency that makes a difference. No doubt about it, Bob gives one of the best AOW classes around. But that isn't to say a diver wouldn't learn something from a PADI AOW. It would just be different.
I believe that "Advanced" Open Water is a misnomer for at least the PADI course in many ways. But it does expose a student to different environments and dive situations and allows the student to benefit from the experience and knowledge of an instructor. I don't know the OP, maybe a PADI AOW would be a waste of his time, but maybe not. I was a fairly new diver when I did my PADI AOW and I learned a lot. Might be different for others.
Just my 2 cents.
Maybe I missed it, but I didn't see any PADI bashing in this thread. The OP stated that he felt that the AOW class he was signed up for was going to be a "formality" to have access to some dives he wanted to do. I don't care what agency it's with, that's just wrong.
I believe the title of this thread is "WTB: PADI AOW book." When people responded with "don't waste your time with that class" I take a bit of offense. I agree that Bob does an outstanding course that is very different from the PADI curriculum. But, as I said, that doesn't mean the OP wouldn't get his money's worth or learn something.
Georgia

NOT diving is NOT an option
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

The AOW in question was considered a formality and something to just get out of the way. Maybe the OP would have been pleasantly surprised to actually learn something in an off-the-shelf AOW, maybe he wouldn't. But in my case I was responding to the premise that getting the card was more important that getting something out of the class. And I am pretty sure if you just randomly chose an AOW course you will get less out of it than if you actually seek out an instructor to challenge you.

And if the OP was in the Kenmore, Kirkland, Bothell types areas, I would have recommended Peter as a PADI instructor or Scott who's NAUI. So it really isn't PADI bashing here IMHO.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

WylerBear wrote:
Nwbrewer wrote:
Just my 2 cents.
I believe the title of this thread is "WTB: PADI AOW book." When people responded with "don't waste your time with that class" I take a bit of offense. I agree that Bob does an outstanding course that is very different from the PADI curriculum. But, as I said, that doesn't mean the OP wouldn't get his money's worth or learn something.

Good point, Georgia. I forgot about the thread title. And I'm sure you teach an excellent AOW class. The only reason I recommended Bob and Brian is that I have seen their printed class materials and know so many people that have taken the class, that I can heartily endorse them both as instructors. (without actually haven taken a class from either one of them, that is.)

Anyway, my apologies if I stepped on your toes.
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeff Pack »

As someone with 50 dives now, and one of bobs private instruction courses under my belt, I question what I'd get out of an aow class.

Now with that said, I think it worthwhile to differentiate the"puppy mill"classes from those that offer value add.

My original intent was to just take a class and get a card, and be done with it. So I could do some dives I'd like to do.

But as was noted, why take the course for that reason.

since I can get an aow++ course, why not.

I merely mentioned padi because that was the course I was going to take
=============================================

- I got a good squirt in my mouth
- I would imagine that there would be a large amount of involuntary gagging
- I don't know about you but I'm not into swallowing it

CCR discussion on Caustic Cocktails.
WylerBear
I've Got Gills

Post by WylerBear »

No apologies needed really but thanks. I wasn't upset or mad. I just get tired of the implications all the time. And I had just worked a 16 hour day so I was cranky. Sorry.
Georgia

NOT diving is NOT an option
scubnewb
Compulsive Diver

Post by scubnewb »

Damm it... I still dont have 15 dives yet LOL... :smt064 when we diving again Jake?

Nwbrewer wrote:
WylerBear wrote: What I'm tired of is people coming out to dive at a weekly dive with 15 dives and a "rescue" card who never should have been let out of a pool.

Jake
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in getting up every time we do."
-Confucius
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

scubnewb wrote:Damm it... I still dont have 15 dives yet LOL... :smt064 when we diving again Jake?

Nwbrewer wrote:
WylerBear wrote: What I'm tired of is people coming out to dive at a weekly dive with 15 dives and a "rescue" card who never should have been let out of a pool.

Jake
S'okay, you're not going on and on about your rescue cert and admonishing me for my lack of snorkel. :taco:

I think I'm out until next week. MMM?
"Screw "annual" service,... I get them serviced when they break." - CaptnJack (paraphrased)

"you do realize you're supposed to mix the :koolaid: with water and drink it, not snort the powder directly from the packet, right? :smt064 " - Spatman
scubnewb
Compulsive Diver

Post by scubnewb »

Snorkel? Whats that? Oh the thing I have yet to ever use when diving aside from in the pool :eek:

I sold my truck the otherday so transport has become a little bit of a issue but i am on the prowl for a ride so hopefully i pick one up soon. Do you ever dive EUP? I know you dive right after work on mondays at MMM but I found I can get to EUP in just as much time as I can when I take the LOOOONG route to MMM LOL :rofl: Maybe we can hit both in the next couple weeks or something...
Nwbrewer wrote:
scubnewb wrote:Damm it... I still dont have 15 dives yet LOL... :smt064 when we diving again Jake?

Nwbrewer wrote:

Jake
S'okay, you're not going on and on about your rescue cert and admonishing me for my lack of snorkel. :taco:

"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in getting up every time we do."
-Confucius
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Nwbrewer wrote:

Nwbrewer wrote:

Jake

I guess I let you off easy last weekend. Spatty's beer must have distracted me. I will beat the dead snorkel horse harder next time.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
spatman
I've Got Gills

WTB: PADI AOW Book

Post by spatman »

CaptnJack wrote: Spatty's beer must have distracted me. I will beat the dead snorkel horse harder next time.
Hm, could I have stumbled upon Richard's kryptonite?
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

spatman wrote:
CaptnJack wrote: Spatty's beer must have distracted me. I will beat the dead snorkel horse harder next time.
Close. I am pretty sure nobody but Limeyx can withstand the withering onslaught of mutiple long island iced teas.
scubnewb
Compulsive Diver

Post by scubnewb »

Ohhh Long Island Ice Teas... I just aquired a hangover reading that... :vom:

CaptnJack wrote:
spatman wrote:
Close. I am pretty sure nobody but Limeyx can withstand the withering onslaught of mutiple long island iced teas.
-Confucius
Peter Guy
Compulsive Diver

Post by Peter Guy »

Jake, remind me to give you your commission on any classes...:-)

It is not only the instructor that is important in getting a good class -- the student needs to want one AND be willing to work for one.

OP -- There is a fair amount of good information in the PADI AOW Manual and as a newish diver, I'm quite sure you could learn a lot from reading ALL of the chapters about all of the various Adventure Dives. If you don't want to support your local LDS because buying the manual (with slate) is too expensive, you can always buy a new set online from an outfit like Divers Supply -- cost under $30. You should have your own and keep it for a reference.