WTB: PADI AOW Book

This forum is provided for the further edification of our club members seeking to improve their knowledge and diving skills. (recreational diving only)
Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

WTB: PADI AOW Book

Post by Jeff Pack »

Anyone have a set they wanna sell? I'm gonna finally take my AOW course, and the books, etc are like 90$ I think new.

I'm sure some schlub around here has a set to get rid of...
=============================================

- I got a good squirt in my mouth
- I would imagine that there would be a large amount of involuntary gagging
- I don't know about you but I'm not into swallowing it

CCR discussion on Caustic Cocktails.
eliseaboo
I've Got Gills

Re: WTB: PADI AOW Book

Post by eliseaboo »

Make sure you check with your instructor. There are knowledge reviews you have to fill out, and some instructors don't like to accept them if they were already done, or the previous student may have ripped them out. Of course, someone may have an unused AOW book, I don't know.
Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeff Pack »

thx, I read about that elsewhere

I found this on ebay, is this what Ineed?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Brand-New-Padi- ... 561wt_1392

eliseaboo
I've Got Gills

Post by eliseaboo »

You'll need to check with your instructor. AOW is five dives, and while a few of them are standard there are also a few that are chosen by the instructor which may require other items. For example, when we teach AOW with a night dive back home we would require students to show up with a primary and a backup light. But you don't have to do a night dive, it might instead be Multi-level, or Peak Performance Buoyancy, or...

I'm not sure if that's the current PADI crew pack for AOW; it's changed since I took it. I haven't seen a navigation slate with a crew pack, but maybe they're doing that now -- or maybe it's really old. :dontknow:
Linedog
I've Got Gills

Post by Linedog »

That looks like the book to get, but why are you getting your AOW? I got mine a few months ago after over 50 dives here, some at night, some deep. It was pretty much a waste of time and money, even my instructor said I can now "officially" do what I have already been doing. Jeff, we have dove together and you are a much better diver than I am, I gotta ask why AOW? When time permits I am looking into GUE training, it looks lot more demanding but I think it would be more to your liking.
Pop tarts and gravy,
It's what's for breakfast.
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

I don't know who your PADI instructor is or if s/he augments the standard curriculum, but if you do want to take an AOW class, I highly recommend Bob Bailey's class. He incorporates parts of higher level training that are applicable to how we dive here in the NW, such as honing buoyancy control, propulsions techniques, deploying a SMB, search and recovery, etc.

http://nwgratefuldiver.com/advanced.html
Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeff Pack »

thx, I'm doing AOW more as a formality at this point,just so if I go to the tropics, vacation, a boat dive, whatever, I wont hose over others, since I dont have my AOW cert. (Heck, I haven't even been given my OW card yet, probably sitting in someones desk gathering dust since October). I'm doing a boat dive in a few weeks, and its part of an AOW class, so I figure I can get both out of the way in the weekend)

Personally, I think I'm well AOW, but its something I gotta get out of the way.

Some of Bobs stuff I've already gone over in our private class, but I plan to do the "rent'a'bob" deal again in the future.

Linedog
I've Got Gills

Post by Linedog »

Pretty much the same reason I took AOW, just to have the card to show an operator I can dive "deep or at night".
Jeff Pack wrote:thx, I'm doing AOW more as a formality at this point,just so if I go to the tropics, vacation, a boat dive, whatever, I wont hose over others, since I dont have my AOW cert.
Pop tarts and gravy,
SeanKylgod
Compulsive Diver

Post by SeanKylgod »

I have mine still, none of the pages were written in (I just photo-copied the homework pages) that you're welcome to have if you are ever up this way again.
Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeff Pack »

Deal Sean, thx! Of course for me to you your way, isnt it more like "down" that way?

Is yours whats in that ebay link above? I just dont know what all supposed to be there, or what I need.

Maybe if you are up this way again for a dive or something, I think my class is March 10th and 11th.

SeanKylgod
Compulsive Diver

Post by SeanKylgod »

yeah, it has everything that came with it when I got it. I just read the book, copied the homework pages and put it back in its little bag thing ;-) It has a color recognition chart thingy that came with it, but I never had to use it on my aow dives
Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeff Pack »

kewl Sean, save a me a few dollars anyways. I'll PM you my dive schedule, maybe we'll figure something out.

Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

Linedog wrote:Pretty much the same reason I took AOW, just to have the card to show an operator I can dive "deep or at night".
Jeff Pack wrote:thx, I'm doing AOW more as a formality at this point,just so if I go to the tropics, vacation, a boat dive, whatever, I wont hose over others, since I dont have my AOW cert.
Perhaps I'm in the minority here, but if I'm paying for a class, I would expect to actually LEARN SOMETHING. If you feel that the standard AOW fare offered by your LDS is just going to give you 5 dives and a card, why not take your money to someone who will actually teach you something for that money?

As Spatman suggested there is Bob's class, as well as other instructors around the area and on the board who will actually give you some return on your investment, as well as making sure you actually EARN an AOW card, not just pay for it.

Jake
"Screw "annual" service,... I get them serviced when they break." - CaptnJack (paraphrased)

"you do realize you're supposed to mix the :koolaid: with water and drink it, not snort the powder directly from the packet, right? :smt064 " - Spatman
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

Nwbrewer wrote:
Linedog wrote:Pretty much the same reason I took AOW, just to have the card to show an operator I can dive "deep or at night".
Perhaps I'm in the minority here, but if I'm paying for a class, I would expect to actually LEARN SOMETHING. If you feel that the standard AOW fare offered by your LDS is just going to give you 5 dives and a card, why not take your money to someone who will actually teach you something for that money?

As Spatman suggested there is Bob's class, as well as other instructors around the area and on the board who will actually give you some return on your investment, as well as making sure you actually EARN an AOW card, not just pay for it.

Jake
+1, especially if you plan on "renting bob" sometime later anyway. why not just do that now, and get the card you can flash at whoever asks.
Penopolypants
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Penopolypants »

+2 on getting AOW with benefits.
Come to the nerd side, we have pi!
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

+2 for learning something for your money or not bothering. My AOW card is not worth the non-renewable plastic its made from.

If you want alternative instructors for diversity, convenience, different agency, or whatever reason there are some on the board.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Penopolypants wrote:+2 on getting AOW with benefits.
Bonus! :rofl: :luv:
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
scubnewb
Compulsive Diver

Post by scubnewb »

haha this reminds me of the the first few messages that popped up when I made a post about AOW a couple months ago that turned into a huge "OMG your gonna die" thread lol...

:popcorn:
CaptnJack wrote:
Penopolypants wrote:+2 on getting AOW with benefits.
Bonus! :rofl: :luv:
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in getting up every time we do."
-Confucius
Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeff Pack »

Yea, your logic is sound.

I guess I was thinking along the line of just getting the damned thing over with, and "do the Bob" later.

But I guess thats really sort sighted, and money foolish (ok, the money to me really isnt a big deal).

But if I'm goin to invest the time in training, I might as well actually get something out of it.

So look Out Bob, here I come... (and beware of my night dive with that 35w Light Screamer I got coming) :)

Thx everyone, and for a certain beloved person here, there goes your "I never take anyones advice, ever" statement wherever you wanna place it.

Linedog
I've Got Gills

Post by Linedog »

I didn't know about Bob at the time so I just stuck with my LDS and the instructor I thought could teach me the most. He did an outstanding job, just thought I coulda learned more for my $200
Pop tarts and gravy,
Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeff Pack »

Bob is getting so popular now, I'll have to wait until April for my AOW+ class now....

CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Jeff Pack wrote:Bob is getting so popular now, I'll have to wait until April for my AOW+ class now....
April is practically here. Shoot I am not so patiently waiting to do particular dives in June, July, and September already!
lamont
I've Got Gills

Post by lamont »

Jeff Pack wrote:thx, I'm doing AOW more as a formality at this point,just so if I go to the tropics, vacation, a boat dive, whatever, I wont hose over others, since I dont have my AOW cert. (Heck, I haven't even been given my OW card yet, probably sitting in someones desk gathering dust since October).
Unless you have an impending need for the AOW card, I wouldn't bother with getting the card just to get the card. If you stick around long enough you'll probably either wind up with an AOW card or something else that works just as well. I don't have an AOW card, but I use my NAUI Rescue card that I picked up (from Bob) instead (avoiding the whole discussion over what this 'gooey' agency is...)

I do recommend Bob's AOW, too.
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

Bob, and Bdub, teach a real AOW class- one that will challenge you and actually teach you something......
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
WylerBear
I've Got Gills

Post by WylerBear »

You know, I get a bit tired of this. I am a PADI Instructor and I like to think that when I teach a class, I impart a modicum of knowledge. As has been said many, many times on this board, it's the instructor, not the course or the agency that makes a difference. No doubt about it, Bob gives one of the best AOW classes around. But that isn't to say a diver wouldn't learn something from a PADI AOW. It would just be different.
I believe that "Advanced" Open Water is a misnomer for at least the PADI course in many ways. But it does expose a student to different environments and dive situations and allows the student to benefit from the experience and knowledge of an instructor. I don't know the OP, maybe a PADI AOW would be a waste of his time, but maybe not. I was a fairly new diver when I did my PADI AOW and I learned a lot. Might be different for others.
Just my 2 cents.
Georgia

NOT diving is NOT an option