Rescue Class Instructor

This forum is provided for the further edification of our club members seeking to improve their knowledge and diving skills. (recreational diving only)
seether60
Just Settling In

Rescue Class Instructor

Post by seether60 »

Looking for a rescue instructor who teaches in the GUE/UTD style of diving and equipment. I would be willing to travel north for the class, if it could be done over one or two weekends. Thanks for any input.
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Re: Rescue Class Instructor

Post by Dusty2 »

There are several up here in the seattle area and It seems I just read that one was starting classes soon. Hang in there someone will respond soon. PM Laura, ljjames. She is into those disciplines and I'm sure she can set you up with someone for classes
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

seether60 wrote:Looking for a rescue instructor who teaches in the GUE/UTD style of diving and equipment. I would be willing to travel north for the class, if it could be done over one or two weekends. Thanks for any input.
Do you have any buddies interested in taking it with you?
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
seether60
Just Settling In

Post by seether60 »

As of yet, no. I am trying to go out and get this education myself because it seems everyone in my area is very skeptical of this type of training. I hope by bringing these skills south it will sow the seed...
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

seether60 wrote:As of yet, no. I am trying to go out and get this education myself because it seems everyone in my area is very skeptical of this type of training. I hope by bringing these skills south it will sow the seed...
Gotcha. Although you should probably realize that most of rescue class is not really in-water skills. GUE doesn't even have a standalone rescue class and I don't think there has ever been a UTD one taught locally.

Depending on where you're at in your diving education its possible a different class might send you home with some more outwardly visible skills to seed the waters with. (as opposed to say "bystander management" or searching for a missing diver ideas which you hopefully won't be using in front of your local buddies)

Bdub and Edge are the local UTD instructors. kdupreez is the local GUE instructor candidate (who is already a padi instructor). You might PM them and ask what they suggest.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

CaptnJack wrote:
seether60 wrote:As of yet, no. I am trying to go out and get this education myself because it seems everyone in my area is very skeptical of this type of training. I hope by bringing these skills south it will sow the seed...
Gotcha. Although you should probably realize that most of rescue class is not really in-water skills. GUE doesn't even have a standalone rescue class and I don't think there has ever been a UTD one taught locally.

Depending on where you're at in your diving education its possible a different class might send you home with some more outwardly visible skills to seed the waters with. (as opposed to say "bystander management" or searching for a missing diver ideas which you hopefully won't be using in front of your local buddies)

Bdub and Edge are the local UTD instructors. kdupreez is the local GUE instructor candidate (who is already a padi instructor). You might PM them and ask what they suggest.
Might add Scott Christopher in to the mix, as well. (vbcoachchris on this board)
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

My husband, Peter Rothschild (Below and Beyond Scuba) teaches PADI Rescue, and he dives a DIR system and is GUE trained. He's running a Rescue class right now, and will be doing another one in April.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
seether60
Just Settling In

Post by seether60 »

I emailed someone at frogkickdiving today, but have not received a response yet.
spatman
I've Got Gills

Rescue Class Instructor

Post by spatman »

Joshua Smith wrote:
CaptnJack wrote:

Might add Scott Christopher in to the mix, as well. (vbcoachchris on this board)
Though Scott isn't a GUE or UTD instructor, he does train students in that style.
BDub
I've Got Gills

Post by BDub »

seether60 wrote:I emailed someone at frogkickdiving today, but have not received a response yet.
Just pm'd you, Seether.

I replied to your email yesterday afternoon, but it bounced back as undeliverable.
http://www.frogkickdiving.com/

"It's a lot easier when you're not doing it" - CaseyB449

"There needs to be more strawberry condoms. Just not on my regulator" - DSteding
Peter Guy
Compulsive Diver

Post by Peter Guy »

Perhaps I should go ahead and create a standard reply to this type of request:

There are a number of "us" here in the Puget Sound Area that teach "DIR Style" classes and through various agencies:

PADI
NAUI
GUE
UTD

I am pretty sure we all know each other, have all dived with each other, in some cases trained together and, for the most part, all get along and refer students to each other.

So, to make it easy:

http://www.soundaquatics.com -- There are 5 of us affiliated with Sound Aquatics -- Scott Christopher (owner/NAUI), Greg Wilson (NAUI), Bob Bailey (NAUI - http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com), Marc Pyle (NAUI), Peter Rothschild (PADI - http://www.belowandbeyond.biz).

http://www.frogkickdiving.com -- Brian Wiederspan and Jeanna Edgerton (UTD)

Koos du Preez -- PADI (still with Underwater Sports?) and GUE (as of March 8)

I'm probably the least experienced instructor with only three years of teaching and being a PADI Master Scuba Diver Trainer and PADI Tec Instructor. I have 1000+ dives, am "Full Cave" trained (and as much as possible actively Cave Dive) and have NAUI Technical cards.

I really don't think you, or anyone else, can go wrong by training with any of the people I've identified.
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

Peter Guy wrote:Perhaps I should go ahead and create a standard reply to this type of request:

There are a number of "us" here in the Puget Sound Area that teach "DIR Style" classes and through various agencies:

PADI
NAUI
GUE
UTD

I am pretty sure we all know each other, have all dived with each other, in some cases trained together and, for the most part, all get along and refer students to each other.

So, to make it easy:

http://www.soundaquatics.com -- There are 5 of us affiliated with Sound Aquatics -- Scott Christopher (owner/NAUI), Greg Wilson (NAUI), Bob Bailey (NAUI - http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com), Marc Pyle (NAUI), Peter Rothschild (PADI - http://www.belowandbeyond.biz).

http://www.frogkickdiving.com -- Brian Wiederspan and Jeanna Edgerton (UTD)

Koos du Preez -- PADI (still with Underwater Sports?) and GUE (as of March 8)

I'm probably the least experienced instructor with only three years of teaching and being a PADI Master Scuba Diver Trainer and PADI Tec Instructor. I have 1000+ dives, am "Full Cave" trained (and as much as possible actively Cave Dive) and have NAUI Technical cards.

I really don't think you, or anyone else, can go wrong by training with any of the people I've identified.
Hey!
What about Bob?
Hi, my name is Keith, and I'm a Dive Addict! :supz:
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

Bob's in there, with a link to his website.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

Okay, now I see it. :salute:
Hi, my name is Keith, and I'm a Dive Addict! :supz: