PNW Spear Fishing Education...

This forum is provided for the further edification of our club members seeking to improve their knowledge and diving skills. (recreational diving only)
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Re: PNW Spear Fishing Education...

Post by CaptnJack »

Mateo1147 wrote:Like Tom said, crabbing is a blast! It might be more relaxing with pots but filling a goody bag is damn fun!
Shrimping is too, who cares if they end up being $20/lb!

(The season is short, like 3 days. They are only legal on scuba in area 8-2 which basically means Mukilteo. And they are much deeper - even after dark as they move shallower. Mostly below 130fsw. So you are night diving, in current, left of the ferry dock on trimix with deco to do. I went a few times and huffed and puffed my way along the bottom scooping up roughly 3/4s of a limit. Rob and Jeff could limit out, but I never could. They were tasty but that made for some really late nights.)
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
scubnewb
Compulsive Diver

Post by scubnewb »

Yeah definitly let me know when you decide to go after a ling or two... and I agree with the pots being easy but I been doing that for years so i want the "fun & experience" of hand catching the little buggers! :taco:

Novice wrote:And crabs are WAAAAAAY easier to catch with pots than with your fingers as they scurry around. I would rather set pots, dive, retrieve pots, eat crab.

However, I do feel like kind of a jerk for giving you a internet list serve style lecture about regs (in my earlier post) instead of just inviting you to go kill fish fish with me. I try not to do that. The ling opener I will be fishing hook and line with my family but I am thinking of doing a ling spear dive from my boat after that. I will keep you posted.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in getting up every time we do."
-Confucius
scubnewb
Compulsive Diver

Post by scubnewb »

That sounds like a blast!
CaptnJack wrote:
Mateo1147 wrote:Like Tom said, crabbing is a blast! It might be more relaxing with pots but filling a goody bag is damn fun!
Shrimping is too, who cares if they end up being $20/lb!

(The season is short, like 3 days. They are only legal on scuba in area 8-2 which basically means Mukilteo. And they are much deeper - even after dark as they move shallower. Mostly below 130fsw. So you are night diving, in current, left of the ferry dock on trimix with deco to do. I went a few times and huffed and puffed my way along the bottom scooping up roughly 3/4s of a limit. Rob and Jeff could limit out, but I never could. They were tasty but that made for some really late nights.)
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in getting up every time we do."
-Confucius
bucknaked
Submariner

Post by bucknaked »

I was wondering if any one did hand catch shrimp
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

bucknaked wrote:I was wondering if any one did hand catch shrimp
Yes but the fields of them are beyond recreational depths and its ALOT of work swimming through the water shooing them into the goodie bag. Its fun but you're huffing like a freight train. There's no way you can do it on a single tank. We were smoking through double 100s of 21/35 in the 145-160 range in 20-22mins. That's like a $75 fill... You can't really scooter as its a 2 handed job catching them.

In the 100-110fsw range you can find a few if you dive late enough in the evening (like 10:30-11pm). Expect maybe a half dozen per dive. IIRC the limit was 100 spot shrimp.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
bucknaked
Submariner

Post by bucknaked »

I guess I will have to stick to crab then. Are all the shrimp you see are coon shrimp or striped shrimp then. The spotted ones are the really big shrimp correct
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Almost all spots, those are the ones worth eating :burntchef:

Anthony would find a few in the 100ft neighborhood when I was going, they are there just not enough of them to come close to a limit. One of the reasons its so much work is its never slack when you splash and you sorta have to swim through the water with the bag open using waster pressure to keep the tangled mass of shrimp in the bottom. Its really aggravating when they swim out of the bag.

Its cheaper to catch them with pots or just buy them (sorta like spearing for fish), but catching them is fun.
bucknaked
Submariner

Post by bucknaked »

It still sounds like alot of fun.use to do shrimping on the east coast. Deploy the net across part of the bay and two people hold it and let the current sweep the shrimp into the net.by the time gas,wear and tear on boat,beer and your time was added up it probly cheaper to buy them but not as much fun.when crabby season opens again and anyone wants to go let me know.
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

Crab is tasty with butter. But then everything is better with butter.
In a global sense, I agree with you. But I have vivid memories of going out with a bunch of folks to get crab at Mukilteo, and then going to Sounder's dad's house to cook them . . . we sat and ate crab until our eyeballs bulged. I had gotten through three crab halves before I dipped a bite in butter. And when I did, I was SHOCKED to discover that the meat was so incredibly sweet and delicate that it was better without.

There is nothing like really FRESH crab.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
bucknaked
Submariner

Post by bucknaked »

Anytime you eat something that fresh it can't be beat. I think a lot of it has do with the trip itself ie bullshiting with your buddies.that is what makes the trip for me.
scubnewb
Compulsive Diver

Post by scubnewb »

For me, wether its crabbing, shrimping or spearing its really not about it being cheaper at the store or what it cost in general to get out there to do it, when it comes to good times, good adventures, and good memories with awesome friends.... money is never a issue.
bucknaked wrote:Anytime you eat something that fresh it can't be beat. I think a lot of it has do with the trip itself ie bullshiting with your buddies.that is what makes the trip for me.
-Confucius
loanwolf
Pelagic

Post by loanwolf »

scubnewb wrote:For me, wether its crabbing, shrimping or spearing its really not about it being cheaper at the store or what it cost in general to get out there to do it, when it comes to good times, good adventures, and good memories with awesome friends.... money is never a issue.
bucknaked wrote:Anytime you eat something that fresh it can't be beat. I think a lot of it has do with the trip itself ie bullshiting with your buddies.that is what makes the trip for me.

Were is the like button :partydance:
Greg
Life is Short do as Much as Possible in as Short of Period of Time as Possible.
Mattleycrue76
I've Got Gills

Post by Mattleycrue76 »

1st of al: :hah:
coulterboy wrote:As for picking up crabs, come join H20doctor and myself, and we'll show you how it's done.
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

2nd, I LOVE me some fresh crab.

3rd, Is it spearfishing season yet?

I'm sitting at work right now wondering how to mount a backup light to the front of my speargun.
"The She-Ps didn't work for either one of us, however- we accidently glued one to Dan's cat, and the other one ended up in a DEA evidence locker somehow." - Joshua Smith
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

Mattleycrue76 wrote: I'm sitting at work right now wondering how to mount a backup light to the front of my speargun.
All you had to do was ask.....

Let me know if you really want to do something like this.
"Screw "annual" service,... I get them serviced when they break." - CaptnJack (paraphrased)

"you do realize you're supposed to mix the :koolaid: with water and drink it, not snort the powder directly from the packet, right? :smt064 " - Spatman
Mattleycrue76
I've Got Gills

Post by Mattleycrue76 »

Nwbrewer wrote:
Mattleycrue76 wrote: I'm sitting at work right now wondering how to mount a backup light to the front of my speargun.

I'd love too. Maybe it would be possible to have a remote switch that I can activate from near the trigger. I have often found myself in positions where I have to stick the gun down into rocks or a wreck and I can't get good light on my target with my can light. Maybe if that works, we can mount a laser for those off angle one handed shots :snipersmiley:
"The She-Ps didn't work for either one of us, however- we accidently glued one to Dan's cat, and the other one ended up in a DEA evidence locker somehow." - Joshua Smith
Beefcake
Aquaphile

Post by Beefcake »

Mattleycrue76 wrote:
Nwbrewer wrote:

I'd love too. Maybe it would be possible to have a remote switch that I can activate from near the trigger. I have often found myself in positions where I have to stick the gun down into rocks or a wreck and I can't get good light on my target with my can light. Maybe if that works, we can mount a laser for those off angle one handed shots :snipersmiley:
Doesn't Crimson Trace make laser grips for a JBL yet? :pirate:
girldiver
Compulsive Diver

Post by girldiver »

As one who is now beyond really caring about controversy...and the west coast brand manager for Cressi...

I'll take this opportunity to announce we'll be doing a Spearfishing Seminar at the NW Dive and Travel show this year. It's sponsored by Cressi...and yes....we have guns! Cressi sponsors the World Spearfishing Champion Umberto Perrazzi, as well as the U.S. Spearfishing Team in Florida (though they are mostly Cuban).

I'm attempting to get the owners of The FreeDive Shop in Sacramento to come up for the show as well...these are the people most schooled on spearing on the West Coast. They make their living selling to Spearo's.

Spearfishing in the Northwest is a market that is waaayyy underdeveloped. There's absolutely NOTHING environmentally unfriendly about spearing fish. A diver with a speargun "selects" the prey...instead of the randomness of hook and line fishing. (And let's not even get into the discussion of the by catch wasted to put the fish on our plates at the local fine dining establishments)

So...as a personal mission....though I've never actually SHOT a fish (but yes...I've aimed and fired...) I will be bringing spearfishing into the LIGHT this season. I've seen what it does for the N. California dive market...and in a down economy...with more than one dive shop pending another closing...it's time to give divers as many reasons for being in the water as we can. Shooting is one of them...both with spears and cameras. Their choice.

Ok...rant done. But come to the show...we'll have guns at the Cressi booth.

Also...since I tend to bite off more than I can chew....if some spearo's would like to get together and do something (years ago we had the milk jug training course...)....I can give support via Cressi in the form of product giveaways...but I honestly don't have room on my plate for anything else. Contact me if you're wanting to do something.
Cindy
http://www.scubashoppe.com -
Retail, Training, Travel and a Full Service Center: 130 Main Street, Auburn.
whatevah
Aquanaut

Post by whatevah »

April wrote:
Novice wrote:Oh yeah, if you go after a ling this year, PLEASE target on the small side, the giant ones are ALWAYS females and nothing will bum you out more than gutting a ling and seeing millions of little ling eggs inside....
That's actually not true.... females get larger than males earlier in their life, but males also get huge. Take, for example, every ling you see guarding eggs. Male lings guard eggs, not females and I've seen plenty of oversized (above the max limit in the puget sound) lings on eggs in the sound.
Sorry, but it is true - the females do grow to larger sizes than the males. When there was no upper limit on Lingcod for spearfishers I saw a lot of 40"+ fish harvested and few were male. The true giants (upwards of 45lbs) are invariably female. With the new 36" upper limit, yes, you'll come across more oversized males. But I doubt you'll see many of them in the sound proper unless you're into the freak show that is the unnatural and skewed environment at Edmonds. It's easy to overestimate (and in some cases underestimate) Lingcod length underwater - the only reliable way to measure one is to shoot it first. The clever people at fish and wildlife and on the commission apparently disagree despite having no experience at all, and I know that divers whose experience with Lingcod amounts to guesstimating length of the friendly farm fishies at Edmonds will tell you it's simple too. Neither group has a grasp on reality.
“When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest of the world.” -- John Muir
scubnewb
Compulsive Diver

Post by scubnewb »

Can you PM the info about this show you speak of, i am unaware of it :eric:
girldiver wrote:As one who is now beyond really caring about controversy...and the west coast brand manager for Cressi...

I'll take this opportunity to announce we'll be doing a Spearfishing Seminar at the NW Dive and Travel show this year. It's sponsored by Cressi...and yes....we have guns! Cressi sponsors the World Spearfishing Champion Umberto Perrazzi, as well as the U.S. Spearfishing Team in Florida (though they are mostly Cuban).

I'm attempting to get the owners of The FreeDive Shop in Sacramento to come up for the show as well...these are the people most schooled on spearing on the West Coast. They make their living selling to Spearo's.

Spearfishing in the Northwest is a market that is waaayyy underdeveloped. There's absolutely NOTHING environmentally unfriendly about spearing fish. A diver with a speargun "selects" the prey...instead of the randomness of hook and line fishing. (And let's not even get into the discussion of the by catch wasted to put the fish on our plates at the local fine dining establishments)

So...as a personal mission....though I've never actually SHOT a fish (but yes...I've aimed and fired...) I will be bringing spearfishing into the LIGHT this season. I've seen what it does for the N. California dive market...and in a down economy...with more than one dive shop pending another closing...it's time to give divers as many reasons for being in the water as we can. Shooting is one of them...both with spears and cameras. Their choice.

Ok...rant done. But come to the show...we'll have guns at the Cressi booth.

Also...since I tend to bite off more than I can chew....if some spearo's would like to get together and do something (years ago we had the milk jug training course...)....I can give support via Cressi in the form of product giveaways...but I honestly don't have room on my plate for anything else. Contact me if you're wanting to do something.
-Confucius
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

scubnewb
Compulsive Diver

Post by scubnewb »

-Confucius
bucknaked
Submariner

Post by bucknaked »

If you sign up to volunteer you get in free and there is a treasurer hunt on sunday
WaGigKpn
Aquaphile

Post by WaGigKpn »

Bumping because i want into the super secret spearing club...

We should have a forum topic under Spear fishing...

Seriously tho, once i get my wetsuit and gear put together i want to crab and fish! This hot weather is getting to me...
squid509
Avid Diver

Post by squid509 »

we dont talk about the super secret spearing club .... :uh: i mean what? club? :dontknow:
scubnewb
Compulsive Diver

Post by scubnewb »

Yeah they really dont, im still trying to find the doorway to get in lol... no seriously I am.
-Confucius